Remember the Nova System?!

threemounts_1

Anyone even using it anymore? I'm tempted to pick one up. I'd love to see an updated version! If you've got one, let's see or hear about your setup!

I like the Nova System. For whatever reason, I sold the one I bought when they first came out even though I was satisfied with it. I love the distortion and overdrive sounds by the way. Now I have Strymon and have been disappointed with their customer service, plus their products have been kind of buggy. My Timeline doesn't remember things sometimes, and my Ojai is very finicky, so I'm thinking of giving the Nova system another shot or just going with an AxeFX. However, the price of the Nova system cannot be beat.

Went thru a couple Nova systems over the years, even loaded Pete Thorns presets into one of them. The thing that always bugged me was needing some type of Midi pedal to change presets so I could leave it in the pedalboard mode. Otherwise its a great sounding box and they go for cheap now a days...Dang now I need to get another one!

I love my Nova System! It can't be beat for the money.
Mostly reverb and delay for me. It's got a great compressor
when I need it. A tuner and boost for solos.
That's really all I need.

I like mine alot, but there are a few things that I don't like:

I'm not really a tweeker, and it takes some time to dial in sounds. Once you do, you can get some real good ones though! All the effects are good, except for the Flanger...can't seem to get a good Flanger sound. Anyone else here have that problem?

The midi pedal that is required to change the presets is a pain.

It either has to be in the effects loop, or out...you can't do both. It would be cool if you could.

I've heard some complaints about the tuner. I haven't used it enough, as I've had my boss tuner on my board forever.

Those are minor though...bang for your buck, its a great pedal! I agree though..they need an update.

I had one twice and liked it ok. It's great for the used money market for sure. I have been looking for pitch and chorus options and a couple days ago I came across a used one for $200 and it made start to give it another look. In my own shellfish needs at the moment, I really wish it only had modulation and time based effects and was smaller, then I think it would be a great thing to place in the amp loop. All in all, I think it's a pretty cool way to go for the price and options it has.

I use mine for delay, chorus and noisegate in the loop of my 5153, plus for channel changing too. I love it, but I've never used it as a 'tone generator' as such.

The one thing I don't like is that I can't get the boost to work. There was some global setting I wanted to use, but it seems like if you use that mode, you lose the boost option. Or maybe I'm just being a technospaz..

I had a Nova System but I upgraded to a G System. You can find these pretty cheap. I paid $400 cash for a MINT used one.

well, I'm on my third Nova System; sold my second last summer and about 2-3 months later regretted it. Sweetwater had new ones on sale; not blowout prices but a nice discount.

Pro Audio Star has these for $239 new on ebay now

I still have / dig my G-System; I ordered the Mooer Micro Preamp 01 to use with it, small footprint amp pedal with 2 channels, for a direct board.

I also have all the Nova series pedals...

Really wish TCE (Behringer) would update the whole Nova line...but not holding my breath.

edit: I use my Nova System in front of my Fender tube amps that don't have a loop.

I'm also considering a Randall RG1503-212 (that has a loop) and pairing it with my G-System.

The effects are very good sounding but more standard types of effects, nothing new and exciting like some of the more innovative pedal companies are doing today.

neilli":3fp8byxf said:
The one thing I don't like is that I can't get the boost to work. There was some global setting I wanted to use, but it seems like if you use that mode, you lose the boost option. Or maybe I'm just being a technospaz..

It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly, the output maxes out at unity gain. So if you want to use the boost function, you have to reduce over overall volume global setting so that when you hit boost, it'll bring it back up to unity gain.

If your amp does not have a level control for the loop, then this will reduce the volume of the amp when the loop is engaged. If your amp has a level control for the loop, then you can compensate for the volume drop the Nova makes by enabling that setting.

Ah cool - thanks very much for that! I'll check into that this evening (if the kids leave me enough energy LOL)

I had one for quite awhile. Like someone else said, if it had the ability to do the 4 cable, I would have kept it. If you use a clean amp, and just run pedals into the front end of an amp, it excels at that. The delays and reverbs are good, the Overdrive is very nice. The detune is one of the best chorus tones I have had. I use a lot of amp distortion, and prefer all my time based effects in the loop. The person I sold it to is a good friend, and uses it all the time in front of a Rivera Clubster that he runs clean. Sounds killer. I believe T-Rex designed the Overdrive/Distortion patches. I prefer the overdrive. A steal right now in the used market. Hell, buy 2 for cheaper than a lot of pedals. Run one in the loop, one out front,

I've been using one with a 50 watt EVH 5153 for a few years now and love it. Run it in the loop with delays, reverb, harmonizing, etc. Also use a Mission expression pedal with it for Whammy effects, works great. Typically set the boost at 3-5 db for leads. Use the midi out to channel switch the EVH. I don't use the tuner in it. It works ok but not so great on lower tunings.

Back