"If you ain't 'gone buy it...

MrDowntown

...then don't waste my time."

:giantMiddleFinger:

Stopped at a mom and pop whilst out of town on business...just perusing mostly. But they had a Peavey 6505MH, that I've been wanting to try. So I started to hook it up, and asked the friendly bitch working if I could grab an axe and give it a rip. And she lamented...if you ain't 'gone buy it then don't waste my time.

So...I politely gestured the international symbol for KISS MY ENTIRE ASS :GIANTMIDDLEFINGER:

Just FYI, it's a little shop in E.City, NC. If anyone's ever by there..tell'em to kiss my asss! :rock: :LOL: :LOL:

That is the worst lol....

You would think the smaller shops would have the absolute best service (the ones around me actually do) because they know they are the underdog with prices higher than everyone else due to the low numbers they deal with.

I am all for small and local and helping support that but not with a bad attitude like that. There is a GC in most cities or I could go online to get something delivered to my door with no hassle for less.

You could have also started moving amps and placing them randomly around the store prior to leaving...and giving the bird

she'd have something to do with her time then

Forgot to mention...the room was locked, she had to let me in. First thing she said once opening the door..."...let's don't make this too long, it's my lunch break".

Should have offered her up a big ole plate of STFU for lunch, then shit on the carpet and walked out....But I'm a gentleman

I have a small vial of "liquid ass" in my car for just such occasions. Just one drop. Smells like I farted...at first.

Down stairs from this "shop" is a hunters paradise...guns, ammo, stands, etc...thought about buying some doe piss, opening it up and just leaving siting in s corner tucked behind some junk.

But I'm classy.

I've heard that phrase a few times since I started playing, always pisses me off. I guess
you're supposed to imagine how the amp sounds unplugged. Sheesh

The last amp I bought from Guitar Center in 1981 the salesman in Santa Ana, Ca actually
asked me to show him the money before he'd give me a cash price, or try the amp.

WTF, bozo, I'm in my early 20's, did you think I was writing you a check or
breaking out a freaking Visa/Mastercard on the money I make doing this?

In any case, I bought a new JCM 800 50w for $700 out the door...but I never went back
to GC except for strings.

That bozo ruined GC for me permanently.

Scumback Speakers":2dqsl7r0 said:
I've heard that phrase a few times since I started playing, always pisses me off. I guess
you're supposed to imagine how the amp sounds unplugged. Sheesh

The last amp I bought from Guitar Center in 1981 the salesman in Santa Ana, Ca actually
asked me to show him the money before he'd give me a cash price, or try the amp.

WTF, bozo, I'm in my early 20's, did you think I was writing you a check or
breaking out a freaking Visa/Mastercard on the money I make doing this?

In any case, I bought a new JCM 800 50w for $700 out the door...but I never went back
to GC except for strings.

That bozo ruined GC for me permanently.

One of my personal GC faves, is shortly after I had cut my hair and taken a real job. :)

I walked in wearing slacks and a dress shirt, and wanted to check out the newly released ADA MP2.

The sales guy grabbed a guitar, plugged in, and proceeded to fiddlefuck his way around the fretboard for a full five minutes (sucking abysmally) before handing it to me, and asking if I wanted to "give it a try".

That's honestly the only time I've deliberately tried to make someone feel poorly about their ability to play; what a total douchebag. :LOL: :LOL:

That was the old Sherman Oaks store, that Cliff used to manage. When he heard what had happened, he laughed his ass off. :D

jcj":xn8qj1jk said:
One of my personal GC faves, is shortly after I had cut my hair and taken a real job. :)

I walked in wearing slacks and a dress shirt, and wanted to check out the newly released ADA MP2.

The sales guy grabbed a guitar, plugged in, and proceeded to fiddlefuck his way around the fretboard for a full five minutes (sucking abysmally) before handing it to me, and asking if I wanted to "give it a try".
That's actually still on my to-do list;
Walk into a guitar store, in full suit+dress shirt+dress shoes (maybe even cufflinks), and start playing Smoke on the Water crappily for a little while, before doing a great version of Eruption. Those face-expressions should be priceless... :yes:

Speeddemon":185d6hzm said:
jcj":185d6hzm said:

Walk into a guitar store, in full suit+dress shirt+dress shoes (maybe even cufflinks), and start playing Smoke on the Water crappily for a little while, before doing a great version of Eruption. Those face-expressions should be priceless... :yes:

I didn't even have the chance to play, before old boy decided to show me what it "should" sound like.

The best part was when he said "oh wow, you've obviously played for a while".

It really was funny, and I ain't all that impressive, as a player. :D

jcj":wo15rbng said:
Speeddemon":wo15rbng said:
jcj":wo15rbng said:

I didn't even have the chance to play, before old boy decided to show me what it "should" sound like.

The best part was when he said "oh wow, you've obviously played for a while".

It really was funny, and I ain't all that impressive, as a player. :D
Yea right, but it's good to be humble ;)

laneychris":1jxqh4oa said:
Where the Hell was this place in N.C. what city?

Elizabeth City.

I stopped there years ago...a very unassuming "pawn shop" that had quite a bit high end gear. It was impressive. They had really nice folks manning the music shop...encouraged you to test stuff out...imo, the way a gear store should be managed. Really great folks then. I guess the economy has had a real negative efffect on sales, thus forcing the owner(s) to run it "part time". :dunno:

In seriousness, the lady wasn't really qualified...and likely was not happy with her duties and that was her reason for being an ass. But still...common sense dictates you can't be rude to potential consumers, whether you know the gear side of it or not.

and mom and pop shops cry about big retailers killing their business...not higher prices, crappy service and bad attitudes have a lot more to do with it ;)

I'll probably take heat for this but brick and mortar stores are useless to me. Nobody has to sell me anything, I know what I want and I buy shit.. when I buy shit I look for the best price possible and this has NOT been at any physical store front in about 15+ years or so

Brick-and-mortar guitar stores that act like this are insane. 25 years ago it was insane to act this way actually, but today it's far worse when anyone can just buy something online. The main advantage of a brick-and-mortar guitar store *is* that people can try things locally.

I say "25 years ago" because I had a similar experience then. I guess I looked "not serious enough" to the owner of the shop when I asked if I could try an Ibanez Jem. She talked down to me, but let me try it. While I was trying it (politely, quietly, for only a couple minutes) she kept talking down to me including how I can't afford it. So I hung the guitar up, wound up the patch cable and put it on the amp, walked up to her, pulled out a wad of hundred dollar bills from my pocket and held it in front of her face. I then told her I was going to another store to buy a guitar that day instead, and maybe she should think twice before acting that way in the future. The store survived a few more years. :)

Back