Any Chubtone Guitars owners here?

SpiderWars":8r3ua0k0 said:
Sweet! Steve's and Scotty's are both beautiful. Would love to know the pickups, matching singles and humbuckers has been a challenge for me but I love single coils.

Matching humbuckers with singles is a big challenge. Both Steve and Scott's guitars have Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid bridge pickups in them. Steve went with Duncan SSL-6's which are a hot but true single coil. Output wise they match a humbucker pretty well but you will get that single coil hum along with your more true single coil tone.

Scott went with YJM Fury middle and neck pickups and his guitar will get that EVH'ish tone the Hybrid bridge pickup does so well and will go into Yngwie territory too. I believe Yngwie uses much more gain than you would typically have with trying to get an EVH sound from the bridge pickup. Where I found perfection while testing Scott's guitar was to set my amp up for killer bridge pickup tone and then when I switched to the YJM's, I kicked on my Fender Yngwie Overdrive and it sounded killer. I have never been able to really get those two sounds I dig out of the same guitar before.

I got the YJM Fury singles after reading what Carl thought of them, as much as some of you do not like him he knows his shit about tone. I play in several bars at open mics and the stuff is all over the place so I wanted a Swiss Army knife because I never know what is coming next on stage.

The YJMs are very pic sensitive and 1/2 a roll on the volume I am pretty clean with EVH type gain on the amp and they have a great strat sound without the hum. AS Curt said if I need to match the bucker I hit the YJM 308 and I am there. Soft pic at full volume you can get nice slight dirty tones, I love the pups.

Yeah everything on the forums are hype and today's flavor of the week but honestly I have no other wishes for another brand of guitar. Curt has been in the game for 30 years and has the contacts, you are receiving a San Dimas spec guitar that is just a great guitar.

Scotty":3q91ebt7 said:
Have not had time to do a review, well take pictures that is but here is mine.

Will do a review sometime with specs but will state this was WAY less than CS Charvel and much cheaper than other forum builders. The neck is incredible and out of the 14 guitars I own it is the most diverse guitar I have played. Entire guitar is custom to my specs.

If you are a player and not a flipper as some will be worried about resale I would not hesitate to at least speak with Curt.

Is this the Gainfreak knobs and switch layout?

Cool guitar, congrats!

Yeah that would be the Gainfreak, have to give credit where it is due as it is his layout. Volume out of the way and easy slap access to the blade.

Yo Jonus Danny, I can't pm as I am not in the secret club yet so pm me your email address.

I"m interested in a a Chubtone build and has some questions about the neck differences and radius...

How big are the differences on the neck shapes: Neck Shape: #1 standard thin (.800-.850) - #2 Modern C (.810-.880) - #3 Vintage C (.830-.920) - ?? What would you compare these to? ...I have a Warmoth Modern C and I like that one. I played a MIM Charvel So-Cal and the neck on that was pretty awesome!

Also, on the radius. My Schecter USA PT has 14" radius and that's pretty good. What is the difference between a 12" and 14"?

Has anyone tried a Chubtone compound radius?

Cheers!

I'll say it again, I LOVE mine (#007), it kills, so much so I ordered another recently with the same neck specs, but different body wood and pick ups and paint color. I have the #1 neck shape with the 12" radius and it is without question my favorite neck ever, no need for compound radius IMO.

A 14" radius is flatter than the 12".

paulyc":2o26y2bh said:
I'll say it again, I LOVE mine (#007), it kills, so much so I ordered another recently with the same neck specs, but different body wood and pick ups and paint color. I have the #1 neck shape with the 12" radius and it is without question my favorite neck ever, no need for compound radius IMO.

Love mine too! It's in my avatar (#0037). I got the #2 profile and 12" radius and it is the most comfortable neck for me. #2 is not overly chunky, IIRC it is Curt's personal favorite/custom profile and just feels perfect. It's not '58 Les Paul chunky by any stretch. I have a compound radius on my Warmoth and Musikraft and to be honest, I never really notice that aspect when I'm playing. To me it either plays/feels good or it doesn't and the radius (within reason) doesn't affect me that much. Great, great guitars and then considering the more than reasonable cost, they're a fantastic value.

paulyc":1c0mubok said:

I just saw yours in that pic on the website, thats a killer guitar!

JTyson":enovvmsf said:
paulyc":enovvmsf said:

I just saw yours in that pic on the website, thats a killer guitar!

It really is, just awesome.

Junk Yard Dog":31hkd6ok said:
I"m interested in a a Chubtone build and has some questions about the neck differences and radius...

How big are the differences on the neck shapes: Neck Shape: #1 standard thin (.800-.850) - #2 Modern C (.810-.880) - #3 Vintage C (.830-.920) - ?? What would you compare these to? ...I have a Warmoth Modern C and I like that one. I played a MIM Charvel So-Cal and the neck on that was pretty awesome!

Also, on the radius. My Schecter USA PT has 14" radius and that's pretty good. What is the difference between a 12" and 14"?

Has anyone tried a Chubtone compound radius?

Cheers!

The #1 neck shape should feel very similar to that MIM you played but it will have better fretwork. The difference between a 12" and 14" radius will hardly be noticeable while playing. We can easily do a 14" neck radius or a compound radius.

I have one and two on the way, they’re great and a ton of fun to play! Curt and Matt are doing a great job with these and I don’t think anyone that likes a good Charvel wouldn’t like one of these. The price is icing on the cake too. I checked out a few of them when I bought my first and all of the neck profiles were really nice, not too thick or thin and they play so fast! The 12” radius is really nice too, I have compound radius guitars and don’t really notice it when playing, the straight 12 is a good middle ground in my opinion.

Scotty":2waw2kbd said:
Have not had time to do a review, well take pictures that is but here is mine.

Will do a review sometime with specs but will state this was WAY less than CS Charvel and much cheaper than other forum builders. The neck is incredible and out of the 14 guitars I own it is the most diverse guitar I have played. Entire guitar is custom to my specs.

If you are a player and not a flipper as some will be worried about resale I would not hesitate to at least speak with Curt.

Holy shitballs. Me likey, me wanty.

wow, stoked to see a thread on these here, as i was seriously considering one a while back.
can any of you perhaps comment on how they compare to charvel custom shop guitars? that's mainly what i've been looking at.
really love a lot of the chubtone's i've seen and he seems like a nice guy.

Back