Why solid state amps sound better than tubes amps...

rsm

well, with the new rules...we need something else to argue about.

:D

I think my sig below states where I am on this topic

even though I own 5 tube amps and 2 digital/solid state amps.

While I'm GASing for a Randall Satan / Thrasher even RD100, I really like what I'm hearing from the new RG series..

GASing for a RG1503-212

...and the price is nice too IMO

godgrinder":3hveanyx said:
You can make any POS sound passable if you're good at mixing and can dial in good bass tone/drum sound:

So true. Whenever I've relied on clips to buy an amp it's always included in depth listening to cell phone and cheap video cam live clips.

Here is a different interpretation of this amp :)

Have to FF a bit.

Sounds mushy to me... and that is with someone who knows what he is doing. Then again, when you guys go into the brutalz, the differences are less apparent because you just need gain. Scale the gain back and the margin is wider between solid state and tube. That said, I pulled good tone out of solid state in the past I just like my JCM800 better.

I had the 300 watt version of that Randall and hated everything about it. That's not to say the Op wouldn't love it. Just did not work for me and I also have heard several stories of reliability issues with that new RG series.

D-Rock":abok2wnl said:
...until you turn them up anywhere above speaking volumes...
:rock:
The feel is just never going to be the same, maybe some like it but I don't.

My first Marshall was a 1x12 solid state combo back in 83, played a few gigs with it. Kept it as a practice amp for years and traded it off in 1990 for a Charvel model 4. The guy I traded to gigged it for years until it finally crapped out in 2004. He loved it.

Everyone knows the best of both worlds would be a mix of tubes and chips.

Marshall AVT Valvestate baby !!
1339349657919_8805207.png

Thread count for subject 'SS is better vs Tube amps or vice versa'

1,000,000 and counting...

Ola can make any amp sound like great.

At one point I was ampless and only had a 10 watt fender practice amp to play through. I hooked it up to my bogner 212 with the speaker output and it got me by for a few weeks. Deff passable bedroom/practice tone but you will never be taken seriously haha.

Also played through a buddy's Marshall 8100 a lot of times in a band setting. It deff got loud but in no way did that amp move air and have that rich clear tone of a tube power section.

Back