Choosing an amp, fusion, violin leads

KrissyK

Hello everyone, to get things started budged is around 3000EUR. Rather buying used in europe.

I was stuck for too long when it comes to amps. When I was going through an acoustic phase my previous tone accomplishments were still satisfying to me. But now the more I'm looking into it the more lost I get. Important stuff:

Mostly strat player, have some amazing guitars, love them to death. But in spite of this choice I like warm, creamy, smooth tone.

As far as sound is concerned, I'm after stuff like Eric Johnson's violin tone, fusion/jazz rock leads, say Al Di Meola. Also love the sweet, warm, crispy crunch. Clean doesn't matter too much, but won't mind it, especially if it's warm and round. Still I'm mostly after the lead tone. Also enjoy the tone of Andy Timmons(who doesn't? and many others. But I don't want to copy, just point in a general direction where I want to develop my own.

Wattage is not too much of an issue. Small wattage amps are always nice but I can work around the beasts aswell. Channels don't matter as long as I can get the tones I need. Spring reverb on board nice but not a dealbreaker, will get some rack spring unit if needed, I really like the amps that feel almost like "singing", with smooth sound, not too harsh. Some amps feel "clunky: in a way to me, especially when not boosted with an od, I hope you get the idea.

As for pedals, I never used too much of them. Probably a drive or two in front of an amp, maybe delay, either eventide or strymon I guess. Tubescreamer, some xotic stuff(bb/ac/rc maybe small ones), depending what would work best with the chosen amp. Zendrive and giggity are also on my list. And maybe a tube driver if I can get one. Might give golden cello a chance aswell.

I had lonestar, looking for something different and perhaps smaller. Was actually considering badger, but not having played one I have mixed feelings as I don't really like the demos, youtube lies, I know.

From what I was also thinking about friedman pt-20 or runt 20, maybe a jvm???(feels like an overkill though), mesa ta-30 or 5:50, voodoo amps v-plex 25, brunetti pleximan.

And perhaps spending a day or two on my knees in front of some rich guy and looking into fuchs, either ods50 or ods champ . Both heads, champ with matching cab. From the lower price range I could get cornford roadhouse 30 or mk50 single channel. Also, not a huge fan of voxes.

I really want to make sure an amp doesn't feel "stiff", and I'm not necessarily of it making up for bad technique. But some amps do feel like you plug it and sing smooth, creamy notes, and sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

I know most will say fuchs is a clear winner but maybe I could achieve what I want without putting brown lipstick on. I also know there's a lot of plexi like amps on the list.

Will really appreciate any input, please, restrain from advising me to drive around and try things myself. I was doing just that and would still if I didn't get my ankle put in a plaster... But I have to suck it up and finish my rig so I'll be greatful for any help. I might still drive and try out certain things myself, but my health doesn't really allow me to be everywhere so hopefully we can narrow down the choice.

Again, thanks for all help
Kind Regards
Kris

You need a Marshall style amp and Tube Driver. My 90s Tube Driver is killer for boosting Marshall style circuits. It does the Eric Johnson and Andy Timmons thing, the middy sounding violin lead tone. I suggest getting one with the Bias knob. Wish mine had one.

These days Andy Timmons uses the clean channel of his Mesa Lonestars and uses his signature JHS Angry Charlie for all of his gain sounds. Check out this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kn0MqGQFq0

Tube driver is on my list for a long time, this is more of an amp concern.

Marshall/plexi style amps feel like a natural choice. But I started reconsidering the volume thing... I'd rather set the amp lower, get tone and let engineers do their work than having to blow out glasses to get the right tone. Also, I'm one of those players that prefer pushing an already slightly overdriven amp with some nice pedal in front... mmmm that's a fantastic moment. I am aware that many prefer the right pedal into great clean channel but this always feels awkward to me.

There are friedmans, voodoo v-plex, but I never had a chance to try them. I played pink taco, and for the gain monster it is, not really my cup of tea. No clue about runt-20, but it looks interesting, no way to try it out sadly. Fuchs ods50 has a lot of power, while I will be playing both venues and at home I may never turn it loud enaugh, even at gig. As I mentioned, I like being able to dial my sound almost anywhere and then mic it up and use in ear monitor for my own convenience. ODS champ is 22W but after adding spring reverb unit and pedals it's well beyond my budget I'm afraid. And cornfords, if figures like Richie Kotzen and Guthrie were on the list there must be something going on.

Also it's not like I don't like clean, but by no means I prioritize it over other tones I mentioned. The crispy crunch, fat, warm fusion lead and a shot of EJ violinish sound, yes I'm aware that technique plays a huge role in achieving it. And for it to sing and feel smooth, I'm really not into plowing machine experience when I can get into a mustang or something classy. I hate not beeing able to a/b everything but I destroyed my ankle at worst possible moment.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been a lonestar user for quite some time in the past, I remember getting nice Eric style tones by pushing drive channel with ts-9 and timefactor in the loop. I was even thinking of going back to it, it's my "safe space" tone wise, I know what and how to dial to get the result. But I also don't want to stand in place, time has come to evolve a little;) I even put ta-30 on a list but that would be a downgrade I guess.

I'd think for a non-stiff feel and fusion/violin leads the Bogner 101b would be right down the middle of the fairway.

Bogner is most likely out of my reach. Both financially and it's availability is pretty limited here.

Amplifiers I have listed are those I was considering because I can easily get them second hand, and possibly try it out before final decision, but I can't drive around and play every single one.

Probably some of you had contant with these amps, compared some etc. If I can throw away some options right away I want to do it because of my current limits. I'll put a list hopefully not missing anything. And I as I noted, there are a lot of plexi-like amps on the list. I know my pedals, love working with volume knob that's why I really like some single channel amps. But it's a hard choice now, with limited time and being tied to bed. I will experiment with multiple od's once I get an amp. After that I will start working on shaping up my tone, may regret choice and get something else, who knows, but for now I cannot be juggling gear.

Friedman pt-20
Friedman runt 20
JVM??? (no idea why I put it on the list)
Mesa ta-30
Mesa 5:50 (but only can get 2x12 combo sadly)
Voodoo amps v-plex 25, you usually see 50W versions
Brunetti pleximan
Cornford roadhouse 30
Cornford mk50 single channel version
Suhr Badger

And those fuchs ods50/ods champ but they are rather beyond my reach and I'm not convinced.
Was also looking at victoria double deluxe and victorilux. And I'm open to suggestions, I'm after the tone and not the brand too.

Also, I could most likely get any of these and make it work, I know there's much more to tone than gear, it's just a mean to achieve goal, but still important one, it should feel special to you.

Hello friends! I'm affraid to sound silly, but I need your help. I need to find a relatively inexpensive pick up / mic to fit to my acoustic violin for a one off event in a few months time. Does anyone have any recommendations? Doesn't need to be fancy just amplify volume and plug into a PA. I found some tips online https://violinio.com/ , but your recommendations are welcome

Thanks in advance

many different things go into picking a mic i suppose...but imo,the SM57 is about the best for the $$. been around a million years, used by everyone, and can be picked up for less than $100.

Boogie Mark III will get you there at a decent price. Like Ron said the 101b will do it in spades too but it's big heavy expensive. Atma would be a cheaper substitute. Many tonal options on the lead channels. I dialed in some great liquidy lead tones with it. If you like single channel amps Friedman's PT-20 and Mini DS are great and incredible expressive with you pick attack and volume knob. Happy Hunting!

the amp part of the thread is from couple years ago...
ole' OliverBlack necro-bumped her for some input on mics and pups...

EBow through Roland GP8 / FC100 Controller and EV5 volume pedal - and a Peavey Heritage VTX 212 amp - with Eminence speakers -

Bought the EBow new back in the day - still works well - is one of the batch of the first 1000 made - chrome with holster -

6w6fuZEh.jpg

W6zXLuuh.jpg

GOHOINC":3lolde34 said:
Rdodson":3lolde34 said:
I'd think for a non-stiff feel and fusion/violin leads the Bogner 101b would be right down the middle of the fairway.

+1
+2

The 101B has got so much sustain, gorgeous tones, and is super versatile. It is a USA amp, so might be a bugger getting one over there, but they are plentiful. Outside of this, I'd look into the Cornford, Brunetti and even the more vintage voiced Diezels.

Going out on a limb here have look at the Carol Ann od2/od3. Brilliant cleans, singing, thick leads, can pull off a lot of styles of music but stops just shy of really heavy stuff.

As for drives I suggest you look at the Wampler Dual fusion or Thoroy Fx ‘The Dane’.

KrissyK":u3term11 said:
Hello everyone, to get things started budged is around 3000EUR. Rather buying used in europe.

I was stuck for too long when it comes to amps. When I was going through an acoustic phase my previous tone accomplishments were still satisfying to me. But now the more I'm looking into it the more lost I get. Important stuff:

Mostly strat player, have some amazing guitars, love them to death. But in spite of this choice I like warm, creamy, smooth tone.

As far as sound is concerned, I'm after stuff like Eric Johnson's violin tone, fusion/jazz rock leads, say Al Di Meola. Also love the sweet, warm, crispy crunch. Clean doesn't matter too much, but won't mind it, especially if it's warm and round. Still I'm mostly after the lead tone. Also enjoy the tone of Andy Timmons(who doesn't? and many others. But I don't want to copy, just point in a general direction where I want to develop my own.

Wattage is not too much of an issue. Small wattage amps are always nice but I can work around the beasts aswell. Channels don't matter as long as I can get the tones I need. Spring reverb on board nice but not a dealbreaker, will get some rack spring unit if needed, I really like the amps that feel almost like "singing", with smooth sound, not too harsh. Some amps feel "clunky: in a way to me, especially when not boosted with an od, I hope you get the idea.

As for pedals, I never used too much of them. Probably a drive or two in front of an amp, maybe delay, either eventide or strymon I guess. Tubescreamer, some xotic stuff(bb/ac/rc maybe small ones), depending what would work best with the chosen amp. Zendrive and giggity are also on my list. And maybe a tube driver if I can get one. Might give golden cello a chance aswell.

I had lonestar, looking for something different and perhaps smaller. Was actually considering badger, but not having played one I have mixed feelings as I don't really like the demos, youtube lies, I know.

From what I was also thinking about friedman pt-20 or runt 20, maybe a jvm???(feels like an overkill though), mesa ta-30 or 5:50, voodoo amps v-plex 25, brunetti pleximan.

And perhaps spending a day or two on my knees in front of some rich guy and looking into fuchs, either ods50 or ods champ . Both heads, champ with matching cab. From the lower price range I could get cornford roadhouse 30 or mk50 single channel. Also, not a huge fan of voxes.

I really want to make sure an amp doesn't feel "stiff", and I'm not necessarily of it making up for bad technique. But some amps do feel like you plug it and sing smooth, creamy notes, and sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

I know most will say fuchs is a clear winner but maybe I could achieve what I want without putting brown lipstick on. I also know there's a lot of plexi like amps on the list.

Will really appreciate any input, please, restrain from advising me to drive around and try things myself. I was doing just that and would still if I didn't get my ankle put in a plaster... But I have to suck it up and finish my rig so I'll be greatful for any help. I might still drive and try out certain things myself, but my health doesn't really allow me to be everywhere so hopefully we can narrow down the choice.

Again, thanks for all help
Kind Regards
Kris

Why not a used Boogie MKIII Simul-Class w/ GEQ?

splatter":39x1suzc said:
Rdodson":39x1suzc said:
this or a Diesel VH2
VH2's Ch.1 - possibly.
VH2's Ch.2 - it's the surgically tight Ch.3 of the VH4, so it's *possibly* violin like in sustain, but it is stiff.

:dunno:

VIOLIN...

Fortin Cali
Mesa Mini-Rectifier (for lunchbox)

For Eric Johnson add an Analogman Sunface to the list

Back