Friedman Runt 50 - Received today, initial review!

napalmdeath

First off, this is NOT a high gain amplifier, in any way, shape, or form! Gain dimed, and boost on, (IMO), has less gain than the blue channel of a 5150 III 50 watt just under half way. So, expect to not only "boost", but crank the gain several notches on your OD as well, to get into metal territory. This isn't a complaint for me, just clarifying any myths that it's a high gain metal monster.

Tube are all JJ in the preamp - yuck, (I put a Tungsol in V1 and Sovtek LPS in the PI, and it added some hair), power tubes are TAD EL34's, (plan to put a pair of JJ KT77's in it later).

The amp does have a pretty decent Master Volume, but, it still needs some volume to get the power amp to catch up. It's a LOUD amp!

Tonally, it sounds nearly identical to the Bogner Helios 50 I had, (in 70's mode boosted). I truly loved the Bogner, but the price-tag made it hard to justify. This amp simplified things for me, no multi-mode switches, multiple inputs, bells, whistles, etc.. It sounds truly glorious, and has that roar that I was expecting. No complaints! And, oddly enough, (as with the Bogner), my cheapie Zakk Wylde OD simply KILLS in front! I have a plethora of boost pedals, and the Wylde OD unleashes the beast! Output dimed, but gain at about 10 o'clock, it's pretty aggressive. Harmonics and touch sensitivity is off the charts! SICK!

Only "issue" I have, is the volume. I ordered a Fryette Power Station 2, so we'll see how that does. If I can't tame it, I'll have to rethink it's practicality. The EVH 50 watt was awesome at lower volume, but I just wasn't satisfied with the tone. Multiple channel amps tend to drive me nuts! The Runt is perfect in every way, and the tone is definitely there!

My thoughts also, Just didn't have enough gain for my liking...Wish he made this with a Sat switch to get it where i like it....

splawner":2w6949bj said:
My thoughts also, Just didn't have enough gain for my liking...Wish he made this with a Sat switch to get it where i like it....

I dont see it as an issue, I actually welcome it. The EVH was ridiculous on the red channel!

With a boost, it's perfect! Less gain than the Helios, but you can dime the gain and it stays clear, doesn't muddy. Then, kick in a boost, and you're there! Raw, organic, and not an over-compressed mess like the EVH.

napalmdeath":38pbmu50 said:
splawner":38pbmu50 said:

I dont see it as an issue, I actually welcome it. The EVH was ridiculous on the red channel!

With a boost, it's perfect! Less gain than the Helios, but you can dime the gain and it stays clear, doesn't muddy. Then, kick in a boost, and you're there! Raw, organic, and not an over-compressed mess like the EVH.
Ya, The EVH stuff just has way to much gain..I love gain but that was just over the top...Lacks tone IMO...I think the Runt is cool....Just wish it went to 11 and didn't have to boost it....It is so close for my liking...Maybe i will give one another spin...Wonder if the Runt 20 is any different.

I'm glad I decided to put KT77's in it! Much warmer, but, I checked the bias before changing them out, and it was at 51mA with the TAD's in it! It sounds killer with KT77's in it!!!

That's why I ended up selling my Runt 50. Voicing was great, but needed a little more gain - and I'm not really a heavy metal guy either. It was hard getting 80s hair metal going with the Runt without a pedal out front.

I also did KT77 and Tung Sol tubes. Definitely helped.

The emulated out was not my thing either.

Then I got a 5153 100watt, and that was way too much gain and compression for me. Traded that for a Ceriatone 2204 that I put a few small mods on, and it's already sounding about as good as I remember the Runt 5o being.

sahlomonic":kmi3gloe said:
Then I got a 5153 100watt, and that was way too much gain and compression for me. Traded that for a Ceriatone 2204 that I put a few small mods on, and it's already sounding about as good as I remember the Runt 5o being.

The Chupacabra was on my radar, before the Runt. I do like the Runt, but a touch more gain wouldn't hurt. It's not a huge issue, since I boost every thing anyway.

It's very similar to boosting the green crunch channel on a DSL, with a footswitchable dedicated clean, (better tone on both accounts).

legend71":a9k4221y said:
What about the Clean channel? I found the cleans on the Small box to be not good. Is this better?

Never played a Smallbox, but the Runt's cleans are superb.

For the record the runt comes with 2 jj preamp tubes and 2 Chinese preamp tube.v1 is only clean and V2 is the main gain tube.. if anyone wants a sat switch added it's a simple thing we can do.

RACKSYSTEMS":peob3gvj said:
For the record the runt comes with 2 jj preamp tubes and 2 Chinese preamp tube.v1 is only clean and V2 is the main gain tube.. if anyone wants a sat switch added it's a simple thing we can do.

I stand corrected, I just double-checked. I sent you a PM, with a question to keep confidential.

I don't disagree with what you said, except it's nothing like the Helios. Nothing is like the Helios. I had a Runt 50 for a couple of days and though it was a great amp. It wasn't like some people who criticize it, and I had no problem with the stock tubes. However, the Runt 20 is way better if you want lower volume sounds, and the clean channel is even better on the Runt 20. Maybe you should swap it. The Runt 20 can get very loud too, so it has enough power to pretty good gigs.

SavageRiffer":2o5svlil said:
I don't disagree with what you said, except it's nothing like the Helios. Nothing is like the Helios. I had a Runt 50 for a couple of days and though it was a great amp. It wasn't like some people who criticize it, and I had no problem with the stock tubes. However, the Runt 20 is way better if you want lower volume sounds, and the clean channel is even better on the Runt 20. Maybe you should swap it. The Runt 20 can get very loud too, so it has enough power to pretty good gigs.

Agree to disagree, but I had the 50 watt Helios, and find the voicings quite similar, on the dirty side, but the Helios had more gain, and a touch less bright.

napalmdeath":brv3dhng said:
SavageRiffer":brv3dhng said:

Agree to disagree, but I had the 50 watt Helios, and find the voicings quite similar, on the dirty side, but the Helios had more gain, and a touch less bright.

"Sounds like" no. "Resembles" the Helios, yeah. Moreover, it has a completely different feel. The Helios is extremely punchy and a different concentration in the midrange. I suppose your perception is such, but to me it's apples and oranges. Anyway, did you try the Runt 20? Also, if you have a 15 or 20 watt speaker lying around, like a Greenback, that sounds good with the Runt 50 at lower volumes. I didn't like the Runt as much at home with the 75w speakers I normally use, so I tried a 20w Greenback and it sounded better. Maybe you could try that and get better results at low volume.

splawner":yqmrvs5m said:
It's like a slightly gainier and darker JCM 800. The problem I had when I played the Runt 50 is that I played the BE100 that was sitting next to it. Game over haha.

Honestly I thought the Runt 50 sounded so similar to my Friedman modded JCA20H that I didn't really need 'two of the same amp' sort of thing. I guess if a SAT switch can be added on the Runt I may have to grab another one haha

The lack of gain and the "not so great" master volume are the 2 things that really turned me off to buying a Runt 50. When I first heard about them I was hoping Dave was going to do a affordable high gainer but it just didn't sound anywhere close to what I was hoping for or wanting.

Racerxrated":27jvzinu said:
splawner":27jvzinu said:
It's like a slightly gainier and darker JCM 800. The problem I had when I played the Runt 50 is that I played the BE100 that was sitting next to it. Game over haha.
I had the same experience. I liked that the Runt was brighter than the other Friedmans though

Back