Please educate me about Gibson Raw Power guitars

emperor_black

I've never been a Gibson fan. What with all their chambering issues and moving production overseas, etc. The most I came to owning one was a Zakk Wylde Epiphone which I promptly sold within a few months of owning it. Too bulky and a bitch to play sitting down comfortably.

Yet, like Fender, Gibson is a part of the American dream guitars and I've always wanted to own one of each someday. I saw this 'Gibson raw power' without a maple top and with a maple fretboard?? :scared: I've never seen a gibson with a maple fretboard to be honest.

So, how good are these? What's a good price to pay for them in Mint condition used? It looks a bit smaller than the usual Gibson's. does it weigh a ton as well? please educate a gibson noob if you please. :)

LPSRPBPCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

I have this exact guitar. Street back when I got it was just around $1000 with a gig bag. '57 Classic Plus bridge and '57 Classic neck. Sounds great, plays great, and has a maple fret board.

racerevlon":3uf9tjji said:
I have this exact guitar. Street back when I got it was just around $1000 with a gig bag. '57 Classic Plus bridge and '57 Classic neck. Sounds great, plays great, and has a maple fret board.

Cool. Is the finish super sensitive to dings and dents or something? Since its missing a top, I'm afraid it might be.

Gibson does not and never has produced "Gibson" branded guitars over seas

Only Guitars with "epiphone" on the headstock are made over seas

There is nothing wrong with Chambered Gibsons
Try one for yourself and see

What do you mean by "missing a top?"

If it's chambered should weigh in the 7 lb range which is pretty light for a Les Paul.
I have a chambered studio and it sounds fantastic.

The guitar you posted used, i would say $600 - $700 would be average pricing in decent condition

Yeah, sorry about the overseas comment. I vaguely remember reading an interview from someone in gibson talking about moving production of some parts overseas and assembling them here.

I used to own a highway one strat which was a ding and dent magnet because all it had was a lacquer finish. But maple is much stronger wood than Alder...but you never know.

Anyways, $600 - $700 you say...then the guy's asking way too much even if its in an excellent condition. Any idea why it was discontinued?

-because its an odd duck, he probably thinks its worth more than the same guitar with the standard neck, from what I've seen-(they do the same neck on SG's as well)-they go for a couple hundred dollars less,

Back