What overdrive for leads?

moltenmetalburn

I cant settle on an OD for leads. I use a TS as a boost for high gain metal rythyms. I dont like it as a lead boost.

I want smooth liquidy sustain. Modern metal neck pickup leads.

Think boogie or soldano. Should be a bit fatter than TS but still trim some bottom.

Thorpy gunshot is on my radar but not sure it will do this.

Should i try a klon? silver archer piqued my interest.

Earthquaker arrows?

Any ideas?

I feel exactly the same way, currently I am using a Walrus Voyager for this and its pretty subtle but it does the trick. Adds some sustain and a little bit of gain

My favorite pedal for this is my Mad Professor Blue Sky Overdrive. It's expensive, but worth it for me. I bought one used for $200. Definitely the most fluid and creamy lead tone I've heard in any OD pedal I've tried and I used to own a Klon KTR and have gotten to try an original Klon once AB'ed with the KTR (original was noticeably better than the KTR FWIW), and while it is a terrific sounding pedal, for the type of lead tone your talking about I'd take the Blue Sky over it for sure. I also have a Thorpy Gunshot and it can also work for what you're asking, but I prefer the Blue Sky for playing leads, but would use the Gunshot for almost any other application. I also love the my Airis Savage for leads, but mostly shreddy type leads for it articulation and attack while still being very fluid, probably not the type of lead tone you're looking for though. I own 12 od pedals at the moment and have owned many more and I'd say the Blue Sky is for sure my favorite for fat, singing leads, but I don't use it much for other applications, but it will probably always be a keeper for me.

I use the Thorpy Gunshot specifically to boost leads with my stereo rig (BE100 and Diezel Herbert).

Have to find a walrus to try.

Blue sky is meant to be placed before a buffer. Wont work for me. Airis savage is jsut too ugly to be on my board. (No trucker hat artwork for me lol)

Gunshot seems like the next choice but bogner burnley has just hit my radar, some complain its took dark and diezela re already dark.

TC Spark has a bass knob on it, as well as a fat mode.

Depending on your amp, the Way Huge Pork Loin would pretty much be exactly what you want. It is very amp dependent though because it's super smooth, and bass heavy. I use it with the Green channel of my Pittbull and it gets it into a kind of a Mark tone. If you already have a TS though it might work stacked, you would just have to adjust the output and gain levels so you don't have insane amounts of gain going on. Basically run the TS into the PL to bring back bass and smoothness, but retain the tight attack.

Candiria":jqg9mhai said:
TC Spark has a bass knob on it, as well as a fat mode.

Depending on your amp, the Way Huge Pork Loin would pretty much be exactly what you want. It is very amp dependent though because it's super smooth, and bass heavy. I use it with the Green channel of my Pittbull and it gets it into a kind of a Mark tone. If you already have a TS though it might work stacked, you would just have to adjust the output and gain levels so you don't have insane amounts of gain going on. Basically run the TS into the PL to bring back bass and smoothness, but retain the tight attack.

I tried a spark, reminded me if keeley katana. Was kind of bland.

Ill check out a pork loin, thanks. :thumbsup:

What amp are you using? Have you thought about a compressor? Bogner Harlow is a composer/boost pedal. Or Wampler Ego. Something with a blend knob, or parallel compressors.

I'm in this same debate although I only have a small handful of leads in our set. I've always wanted my sound from the pickup and use a pedal for volume/cut.

Been using the MXR EQ since my amp sounds good without it but still not quite sure.

Ever do something like this? Or you just want a pedal to add to and make the lead sound?

maddnotez":3bw59el3 said:
I'm in this same debate although I only have a small handful of leads in our set. I've always wanted my sound from the pickup and use a pedal for volume/cut.

Been using the MXR EQ since my amp sounds good without it but still not quite sure.

Ever do something like this? Or you just want a pedal to add to and make the lead sound?

Indo have some EQS i like and could use them this way but there is something about adding some outboard clipping/gain as well to the leads that i seem to prefer. Ill try it again.

tripstan":2x1t4u44 said:
What amp are you using? Have you thought about a compressor? Bogner Harlow is a composer/boost pedal. Or Wampler Ego. Something with a blend knob, or parallel compressors.

Assorted diezel. I dont like compressors on dirty sounds. Maybe paralell would be cool. Food for thought.

Back