Guys who've owned Kemper, AX8 & Amplifire...

JerEvil

How does the Amplifire stack up. I wrote it off the first year or so it was out but. Is my incuriosity is kore than piqued.

Had a Kemper for 2+ years. AX8 only a few months. Will I be dissappoined with the Atomic? Mostly hard rock and classic metal tones is what I am looking for.

Been using AxeFx Ultra, then II for a decade.
Did 50 som shows in Europe with the Amplifire. Liked it enough that I got the A12...that box is cool.
No experience with Kemper.

I always thought that Atomic bought the old AXE-FX tech from fractal cause the amplifier came out right around the time after the AXE2 did. He used to be partners with fractal too I think. I'm sure this isn't true so no one quote me on it.

Been using the AX8 for about 9 months. It's becoming a love/hate thing for me. I'm starting to hate it but each and every soundman continues to love it. I use an Atomic CLR and a regular 2x12 for a backline cab. I love all of its capabilities and ease of setup/tear down. But it's never going to have the 'feel' of a real amp...and that's really what's been bothering me :aww:

I asked a similar question last week. The atomic to my ear has more highs. I think IRs can narrow the playing field but the ax8 sounds the best to me on clips. That said, when amplifire comes out with the 300$ firebox, I am gonna smoooooth up in thaaaat bitch. You can load up to nine amp models on it. Axe is too expensive, amplifire is worth the gamble. It also will allow for saving IRs.... if you make your own.

But Jer, ax8 and kemper? You don't really need the atomic. More of the same... personally , kemper sounds fizzy , I would buy ax8 if I had the cash.

Kapo_Polenton":3kavd0ft said:
But Jer, ax8 and kemper? You don't really need the atomic. More of the same... personally , kemper sounds fizzy , I would buy ax8 if I had the cash.
Both the Kemper and AX8 are gone. I loved the AX8 but quit most of the projects where I needed to run direct... bought a Les paul with the AX8 money...

and now am back in a situation where I need to run direct! LOL! The Atomic is the most cost effective and with the more recent firmware, sounds pretty solid in clips. I have a line on the Amplifire3 for a solid price used. If it sounds good I'll sell it and buy the 12 for the extra switches. Don't want to HAVE to use an external MIDI controller. If I don;t jive with it, I can sell it for more than I am paying and I'll just grab another AX8 most likely.

Why does no one ever mention the Helix here? Seems like all the modeler guys here wrote it off within minutes of its release. I think it sounds great myself. Is there something about it I don't know? It's not that much cheaper than the AX8 really, but the feature set is much better. Multi-function capacitive switches, full color LED displays, etc...

CaseyCor":110ks01m said:
Why does no one ever mention the Helix here? Seems like all the modeler guys here wrote it off within minutes of its release. I think it sounds great myself. Is there something about it I don't know? It's not that much cheaper than the AX8 really, but the feature set is much better. Multi-function capacitive switches, full color LED displays, etc...
True dat.

I love my Kemper, but I still use a POD HD500X. Once you tweek out the "Line 6 fizziness" using the parametric EQ, it sounds great live. Great crunch and high gain tones in there. Not as many amp tone options as the KPA, of course, but for a gigging platform, it does more than enough. And it's cheap to replace and has a nice computer interface.

I haven't owned a Helix, but I'm sure it sounds fine, too. Plus it's got a MUCH nicer, colorful screen on it.

CaseyCor":3k69ewe9 said:
Helix is more than the AX8 actually. AX8 is $1299. That's what I paid new. I don't buy from these morons selling for $1500. I have never bonded with any of the Line 6 stuff I have tried to date. The Amplifire 12 is $699 new. I can't say the Helix is off the table ... just never occurs to me to give one a go.

The Helix is easier to tweak on the fly but the AX8 has soo many more amps and cabs. And the stock Helix cabs kinda blow, of course you can import whatever you want.

danyeo":3n9mww4f said:
The Helix is easier to tweak on the fly but the AX8 has soo many more amps and cabs. And the stock Helix cabs kinda blow, of course you can import whatever you want.
Truth be told, on all these guys except the Kemper, adding the Sam IR I've heard in clips make them sound closer to each other.

Saw a clip today of the Axe II, Amplifire and Zoom G3n doing Plexi tones. Once the same OwnHammer impulse was added, they all sound spot on to each other

I had the Amplifire, now have the AX8 and Helix.

The Atomic unit was nice but when I first used it live, it was VERY "ice-picky" sounding through the sound system, which is not what I heard at home of course, but at the time I ran it through the power-amp in of a Fender HRD which shouldn't have colored the tone TOO much. I was able to tame the high end, but it didn't seem to play well with our FOH as the Fractal. Also, its more limited with FX and you really need an external MIDI device if you want easier switching. It was my first try in the "modeler" world, and it WAS a cool box, especially for the price and I might have had a better experience if I had used an FRFR monitor. I bet the bigger version is pretty cool. The Amplifire was overall very nice, but I am happier with the other units I have. To go back would be a step down IMO but I bet now that I have more experience I could make it work better.

I use the AX8 exclusively now to play out, along with an Atomic CLR which I got recently. It works very, very well for my needs. The pros are super amp modeling, effects and what I dial in at home is pretty much exactly what I hear from the FOH mains and monitors...the BIG deal things. The cons are (IMO) are a somewhat difficult interface on the unit itself, its pretty complicated and while the constant updates are nice, they often cause one to need to re-tweak their user presets...so you might be tweaking more than playing at certain times. Of course one doesn't HAVE to update the unit, but I bet everyone does, eventually. I have mounted the AX8, a volume pedal, wah and a Line 6 wireless receiver to a board, and my setup couldn't be much easier.

Current AX8 setup...set board down, take off top, plug in AC, plug in FOH, plug in FRFR monitor (if needed) done.
192DD893-6BBC-468F-B66E-393AF65EC416_zpsdh80pmbp.jpg

When I used the Amplifier...not as easy but not too bad:
F660C53D-ADC3-41AF-8C0D-B8ED590F1F1A_zpss0meqlly.jpg

The Helix was an impulse buy to try. Its pretty easy to use, but IMO, the stock IRs are not great and the high gain tones aren't as nice as the Fractal. I bought a pack of presets from some guy who sells them (Fremen I think), and they came with custom IRs. After looking at using some of those presets, I am better able to get some great high gain tones, but the variety simply isn't as vast as the Fractal. In the end though, I am not sure just HOW MANY amp models you need...I tend to find a great clean and a high gain model and tweak those to get everything I need. Hence I think eventually I could get the Helix to work for me if I wanted. I also believe it has more processing power than does the AX8 so you can really load up a preset with tons of stuff. For me, that means I can have LESS presets, and each one does more. Also, the built-in expression pedal is cool (hey, it does the Whammy thing!!). I've not dialed it in to play live yet...it also lacks a "talk box" type effect which is something I always have to have as we play that damn Bon Jovi song every gig. So I'd have to drag along my talk box if I really wanted to do it right.

In the end one will work better than the others and its fun to find out which.

I haven't had a Kemper but I had a Helix (sold) and currently have an AX8.

I sold the Helix because the AX8 just sounds better out of the box. I bought an ownhammer impulse pack but even with those, the AX8 sounds better - especially after recent updates.

Don't get me wrong... the Helix is a bad mofo. In reality, the AX8 can't hold a candle to the features and ease of use of the Helix... but I just couldn't get it to sound as good as the AX8 and someone offered me what I felt was a good trade plus cash deal for it and he wanted it badly. An H9 MAX, H9 Core and $600. Off she went.

I have to admit, I paid WAY TOO MUCH for my AX8. It was an impulse buy when nobody could get them because they were backordered. I paid $1600. NO REGRETS. It's a USA model so I think I can get my money back later.

Here is where I think some people on this board will laugh at me :)

Over the last 2 weeks, I have been really digging this Line 6 DT25 head I got in a trade. It was updated so there are 40 amps in it right now but I started using it with my G System (in a rack) and I love it. If you have never tried one, you had better keep your mouth shut lol. These amps are killer, IMHO, and you can get them cheap as shit.

You'll love the Amplifire Jer, especially if you don't need many effects. I went the gamut as well, AF, Kemper, Axe, and now have a Helix. I've been in the modelling game for quite a while and they all sound on par with each other (the Kemper probably has a slight edge in amp tones). The Helix is just a joy to use, period. It has fewer amp models but the tones I have dialed in right now I'd put up against any other unit (and I have). The AF is top shelf as well, excellent amp tones and super easy to use as well as small and portable. It's a no lose situation as you can snag one for under $500 used and sell it for that if you don't like it.

Apparently Satchel of SP is now using the amplifire 100% so outside of studio work, it is likely he is rocking this thing live. A good IR will go a long way.... and then hands.

I've owned the Helix, Kemper, Amplifier, and currently own the AX8. The Amplifier for the money can get close the others sound wise but I feel the AX8, Kemper, and Helix are still a step above. Whether they are worth the extra cash you spend to get into them is up to each person.

ISP Theta Pro DSP?

:D

j/k ;)

What about the new, smaller Amplifire Box announced at NAMM 17? Not sure when it's going to ship though...

I have all 3 and love them. I gig the AX8 and keep the Amplifire in my gig bag as a backup. Kemper stays at home along with an Axe-Fx XL. The convenience of the AX8 is hard to beat.

We've talked offline about this already, but I think the Amplifire is cool. I tend to favor the Fractal stuff though and for the $, I think it is worth the extra scratch. :thumbsup:

Back