Is Randall going out of business??

so, MF had a Randall head due to be available 20-May-2017; I just checked and it's now expected to be available 28-June.

I'm wondering if the date may slip again, or maybe it will just be removed from MF completely if Randall is done for good.

Surprised I didn't see this thread earlier.

Randall currently lists its address as 1000 Corporate Grove Drive. This was also the location of the Washburn Custom Shop. Parker guitars were also made there, and I'm sure other USM products were made there as well.

I can see that building from my office. It's about a 100 yard walk across some grass. USM closed there several months back--sometime last year. It's been quite a while, so I can't remember when it was. US Music Corp sign out front is gone. I remember a press release going out about that facility closing, and lots of stuff on the Parker guitar forums.New USA Parker guitars are very hard to find now and what's left out there is likely just stock waiting to be sold. The Washburn/Eden/Oscar Schmidt factory in Mundelein closed in 2012 per Wikipedia to move to the building I'm talking about. It's possible they've consolidated everything to 1649 Barclay Blvd (which is also very close to my office) and downsized heavily, but I'm skeptical. I could drive by and see if there is anything out there to indicate that US Music still has a presence there on my way home today.

I would not get my hopes up.

baron55":11kv0slq said:
Randall hasn't been able to really get the amp line off the ground sales wise. They Had Bruce Engater for a while designing their Modular Series (which was their more successful venture) and had Mike Fortin design a bunch of amps based off his more popular designs. But that has been a huge failure for them. And Mike took the hit for it when they let him go. And not Mikes fault at all. They basically took a great design and cheapened it and made it in China, and then charged US prices. No body is going to lay out 1500.00 to 2000 for a Chinese made amp. Jet City had the right Idea, and were priced accordingly. I think Randall tried to take advantage of Mikes name and charge a premium for it. and Randall was extremely pissed when Lynch was a big endorsement artist yet live was seen playing many other amps.

Endorsement deals are simply a way of making income (living). Only reason Lynch still has a ESP endorsement is Matt who is the President of ESP, is George's best friend and former guitar tech.

Randall's product line amp wise is too specific and marketed to the heavy Metal Genre, and the impression most have is Randall's are pure Metal amps and not even suitable for Rock. all though not true, the impression is still there. Who is going to bring the SATAN model to church in a Church band? Nothing at all wrong with Heavy Music, I love it. But from a business perspective, it is an extremely narrow Market and you can't make money on it. The other Amp companies like Marshall, Mesa, Peavey, Soldano, Fender, and others make amps that can be used by any Music genre, not that Randall can't, but they Market to a very small demographic and the cosmetics of their amps is designed for that market.

Of course Randall is just a name, the original Randall amp company really doesn't exist anymore as it was sold of a few times. Randall's biggest hey day was in the early 80's with the fur covered solid state amps and that too faded away until Dimebag brought them into prominence again buy playing them.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The Fortin/Randall stuff was aimed at a very narrow demographic. And it's a demographic that, for the most part, will not dish out the kind of money they're asking for those particular amps. For me, I thought the cosmetics and names of the amps were juvenile and silly. I don't care how good an amp sound, if it says Thrasher or Satan on it, I won't be seen on a stage with it.

I hope Randall isn't going out of business. I've been playing a Randall RH100 for about 13 years. Just got yet another compliment on it from the guitarist of another band we played with last weekend.

Eric
What kinda randall you using. I digged your sound.

Mark
It's an RH100 - a real old beast. Been using it for about 13 years now.

Eric
Holy shit it sounds killer.

I still love my RH100, but I'm considering buying a new one. However, I can't find a music store in New England that has them in stock so I can try them (RG1003H and RX120RH for solid state, and RD20H to try a tube). Any suggestions of where I can actually try these before buying? TIA

I think everyone here has hit the mark on Randall's problem. The names are like a 13 year old metal head called them the first thing that came to mind (Satan, Thrasher, 667, etc). The aesthetics are terrible (hope you like a minimalist look all in black), and the prices are way above what a majority of people would pay for an overseas product. It really does seem like a lineup of products aimed at the 13 year old metal head market. Those guys don't have the cash to afford them, and most folks who could don't want them.

I've seen the Randall Amps on Amazon, but I want to play them before I choose & buy one. So I'm looking for a place that sells Randall Amps in New England. Anyone know of a place?

A bro of mine has a Randall endorsement,and says they keep changing the people he is supposed to talk to. He can feel that something is going on over there....and it ain't good.

NewWorldMan":1avfy5bn said:
The aesthetics are terrible (hope you like a minimalist look all in black),
I would say they're horrible in the Diavlo line, but the Thrasher and Satan lines actually look good to me. They're not screaming for attention, but do convey that whole "I do metal. Don't bitch about low gain shit" feel, without looking cheap-ish like for instance Blackstars usually do. Or worse, Bugera.
But then again, I like how most older Engl's look, or the Egnater Armageddon...seems I have a thing for horizontal stripes'. :confused: :LOL: :LOL:

NewWorldMan":1avfy5bn said:
and the prices are way above what a majority of people would pay for an overseas product.
Indeed.

Back