Is a speaker swap going to change the amp tone?

Staskw09

the amplifier is a Randall RD50C and the speaker is a Randall-designed RD12508 speaker ''voiced specifically for Diavlo Series amps that breaks up nicely when pushed but still holds together at high volumes'' :LOL: :LOL:

any suggestions? is it worth swaping?

Staskw09":39lfdiu1 said:

the amplifier is a Randall RD50C and the speaker is a Randall-designed RD12508 speaker ''voiced specifically for Diavlo Series amps that breaks up nicely when pushed but still holds together at high volumes'' :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, the speakers make a big difference in the sound of the amp. Hard to say if you should change yours or not, if you like the current sound, then I wouldn't change them.

stratjacket":27nsto8t said:
Staskw09":27nsto8t said:

Yes, the speakers make a big difference in the sound of the amp. Hard to say if you should change yours or not, if you like the current sound, then I wouldn't change them.

Well I would prefer a bit tighter sound although they claim that ''This is not a generic OEM speaker! Many months were spent developing and voicing the frequency response to complement the RD50C combo''.Other than that are there any good ''high gain oriented'' speakers?

Staskw09":2k2bp6we said:
stratjacket":2k2bp6we said:
Staskw09":2k2bp6we said:

Well I would prefer a bit tighter sound.Are there any good ''high gain oriented'' speakers?

IMO everything will make a difference. Maybe an OD pedal to tighten up?

Speakers will change the tone as well but IMO you will still hear the same amp.

High gain speakers? V30 are popular, I like Eminence Legend V12 as well for more mids. The Creamback speakers or I have heard good things about Scumback and Fane speakers.

Just depends on how much you want to spend but IMO the V30 is the workhorse for metal/high gain.

....unless you're swapping from something comparable to some 6" fisher price speakers to some nice 12" guitar speakers? lol

Every individual speaker sounds different. No two speakers sound identical. Different types of speakers can sound very different. The cabinet is as important as the speakers. Individual cabinets all sound different even if they look exactly the same.

maddnotez":3cu3su9l said:
Staskw09":3cu3su9l said:
stratjacket":3cu3su9l said:
Staskw09":3cu3su9l said:

Well I would prefer a bit tighter sound.Are there any good ''high gain oriented'' speakers?

High gain speakers? V30 are popular, I like Eminence Legend V12 as well for more mids. The Creamback speakers or I have heard good things about Scumback and Fane speakers.

Just depends on how much you want to spend but IMO the V30 is the workhorse for metal/high gain.

There are 2 specs I think

1.SPEAKER CELESTION 12'' VINTAGE 30 CLASSIC 8 OHM (silver-ish color) - 108 euro
2.SPEAKER CELESTION 12'' VINTAGE 30 60W / 8 OHM (gold-ish color) - 120 euro

Whats the difference between the 2 variants?

Staskw09":30zv9bl6 said:
maddnotez":30zv9bl6 said:
stratjacket":30zv9bl6 said:

The best I can do is leave you this link viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155050

and advise you to get on youtube and pick the one you like best. There are V30 made in England, Made in China and also different manufacturer's have their own version made for them such as Mesa Vintage 30.

There are a few different variants and IMO yes, they do sound different.

maddnotez":27956xr5 said:
Staskw09":27956xr5 said:
maddnotez":27956xr5 said:
stratjacket":27956xr5 said:

The best I can do is leave you this link viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155050

and advise you to get on youtube and pick the one you like best. There are V30 made in England, Made in China and also different manufacturer's have their own version made for them such as Mesa Vintage 30.

Judging by the video I think the sound that comes out of the british one is kinda more ''original'', :confused:

I'll do some more research.thnx for the help :rock:

I used to have a RD20 with a couple of the Diavlo 1x12 V30 cabs. I tried some other speakers with it, but the V30 is IMO the speaker of choice for the Diavlos. That said V30s prefer sealed or ported cabs, not really open back cabs.
https://youtu.be/UwY_XTPECGE

Is the Diavlo 50 combo open back or closed back? Looking at a picture, I see a bottom panel with a heating vent opening above it. Unless the bottom portion of the cab is sealed off, you've gotta be losing some sound from the vent. This could be why you're not getting the tightness in the low end you're looking for. Some of the air from the speaker is pushing out of the heating vent. Open back cabs sound great, but they can struggle when it comes to the high gain, tight, percussive thing.

You might like the speaker quite a bit in the end. You just aren't hearing it in the right context. You could try covering up the vent temporarilty and see if it makes any difference. Don't do that for very long, as you'll cause some seriously overhearting problems with your amp. The vent and fans are there for a reason. I would take it to a music store and run it into a closed back cab there. If you get the kind of low end responce you're looking for, well there you go. Buy youself a cab for home use. Even a closed back 1x12 or 2x12 could be better for your situation. It all depends on your ears.

Staskw09":2eb0wtly said:
stratjacket":2eb0wtly said:
Staskw09":2eb0wtly said:

Well I would prefer a bit tighter sound although they claim that ''This is not a generic OEM speaker! Many months were spent developing and voicing the frequency response to complement the RD50C combo''.Other than that are there any good ''high gain oriented'' speakers?

They could have spent 2 years developing a voicing and frequency response to compliment the RD50C, but its still developing a voicing based on their tastes. Purely subjective.

There's many speakers out there that are "high gain oriented". G12K-100s and V30s are the only two I've ever run and they're both great. The G12K-100s will take infinite amounts of low end and never flub out. Very modern and tight with little to no cone break up. Your getting all amp and remaining signal chain with these.

CaseyCor":3289wm7e said:
Is the Diavlo 50 combo open back or closed back? Looking at a picture, I see a bottom panel with a heating vent opening above it. Unless the bottom portion of the cab is sealed off, you've gotta be losing some sound from the vent. This could be why you're not getting the tightness in the low end you're looking for. Some of the air from the speaker is pushing out of the heating vent. Open back cabs sound great, but they can struggle when it comes to the high gain, tight, percussive thing.

You might like the speaker quite a bit in the end. You just aren't hearing it in the right context. You could try covering up the vent temporarilty and see if it makes any difference. Don't do that for very long, as you'll cause some seriously overhearting problems with your amp. The vent and fans are there for a reason. I would take it to a music store and run it into a closed back cab there. If you get the kind of low end responce you're looking for, well there you go. Buy youself a cab for home use. Even a closed back 1x12 or 2x12 could be better for your situation. It all depends on your ears.

So you are saying that I might have nearly the same result either I buy the celestion or stay with the stock speaker cause of the upper open back?

Staskw09":1ckley8h said:
CaseyCor":1ckley8h said:

You might like the speaker quite a bit in the end. You just aren't hearing it in the right context. You could try covering up the vent temporarily and see if it makes any difference. Don't do that for very long, as you'll cause some seriously overheating problems with your amp. The vent and fans are there for a reason. I would take it to a music store and run it into a closed back cab there. If you get the kind of low end response you're looking for, well there you go. Buy yourself a cab for home use. Even a closed back 1x12 or 2x12 could be better for your situation. It all depends on your ears.

So you are saying that I might have nearly the same result either I buy the celestion or stay with the stock speaker cause of the upper open back?
Ehhh, not necessarily. You'll hear a difference between the two speakers for sure. You might find you're getting a tighter sound with the V30 regardless of the open back situation. Rarely is there one set answer in the world of music gear. You might like it, you might not. I would try your amp out with a closed back cab and see what you think.

Perhaps take your amp into a music store and try a few different cabs to get a feel of each. The only thing to keep in mind with that is new speakers will sound a little different (i.e. "better") once they are broken in, but it'll give you some real sounds to hear.

maddnotez":1ezatqar said:

I can second this. I've closely compared the standard 16ohm (T3904 magnet) to the Marshall 16ohm (T3987 magnet) V30s and I much prefer the Marshall flavored ones. That's what I have in one of my Bogner cabs.

But don't let that wig you out. Just go grab a quad of V30s as long as the head you have can be set the the appropriate Ohms. The point I'm making is that YES speakers make a difference. HUGE difference.

Back