VHT D412 eminence p50 vs V30

Sounds like you need a new amp :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though if you're sold on your amp then I would keep digging. Searching for vids and asking around. From the replies here it doesn't seem like V30 or P50 are winners.

I'd personally start with a quad of the Creambacks but that is just me.

Is there any way you have access to using your amp to record tracks while testing Celestion IR's? It won't be the same exact sound as a different cab but will be a good starting point.[/quote]

uh oh! I don't think it's possible at all to get a new amp ))) Yes the V30 and P50s don't get much love on here, and I think there is a reason, I just can't afford to get a d412 only to discover it's no match for the Marshall KK.

On the other hand, I think I will be patient and save up for a couple of months in order to get the brand new Engl pro artist with Neo creambacks! It seems the NEO creambacks are a more efficient version of the greenbacks since this Neo creamback powered Engl 412 is a 240 W cab.

Yet when I look at the VHT d412 I feel sorry cause it looks awesome and it seems to have a potential... :aww:

Would you check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwgNWSfLdo and tell me what do you think ? It sounds bad ass, tight, punchy, clear...

^^You can always try the D412 cab, maybe you'll like it. If you don't you could try to trade the P50s for Greenbacks, or sell them outright. I know the Cab itself is top shelf as far as build quality goes. Maybe just loading different speakers would work down the road if you didn't like the tone.

highgainer":1g5bkx2k said:
Sounds like you need a new amp :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though if you're sold on your amp then I would keep digging. Searching for vids and asking around. From the replies here it doesn't seem like V30 or P50 are winners.

I'd personally start with a quad of the Creambacks but that is just me.

Is there any way you have access to using your amp to record tracks while testing Celestion IR's? It won't be the same exact sound as a different cab but will be a good starting point.

uh oh! I don't think it's possible at all to get a new amp ))) Yes the V30 and P50s don't get much love on here, and I think there is a reason, I just can't afford to get a d412 only to discover it's no match for the Marshall KK.

On the other hand, I think I will be patient and save up for a couple of months in order to get the brand new Engl pro artist with Neo creambacks! It seems the NEO creambacks are a more efficient version of the greenbacks since this Neo creamback powered Engl 412 is a 240 W cab.

Yet when I look at the VHT d412 I feel sorry cause it looks awesome and it seems to have a potential... :aww:

Would you check this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXwgNWSfLdo and tell me what do you think ? It sounds bad ass, tight, punchy, clear...[/quote]

Sounds punchy to me. But I think that fizz is pretty awful however I would not use this clip as a good comparison. They have an ISP sub hooked up which takes all the low frequencies.

If you play metal usually I would recommend getting a 80's Peavey 4x12. The cabs with the K85 ( same speaker as the K100). These can be found for $200.

stephen sawall":3mgko2qw said:
If you play metal usually I would recommend getting a 80's Peavey 4x12. The cabs with the K85 ( same speaker as the K100). These can be found for $200.

Where I live none of the above exist! Actually I will have to "import" the chosen cab, so it's gonna be a pure leap of fate!

I wanted to know, since the D412 is front mounted, would it be easy to swap, let's say, two P50s and get them replaced two Celestion G12H-75 Creamback?
Is it feasible ? And tonewise, does it make sense ?

highgainer":1x0nthg2 said:
stephen sawall":1x0nthg2 said:

Where I live none of the above exist! Actually I will have to "import" the chosen cab, so it's gonna be a pure leap of fate!

I wanted to know, since the D412 is front mounted, would it be easy to swap, let's say, two P50s and get them replaced two Celestion G12H-75 Creamback?
Is it feasible ? And tonewise, does it make sense ?

I haven't spent enough time with either of those speakers to say much about them

D-Rock":wifrbiio said:
P50s are VERY often called hollow sounding. Not a good match with not Fryette/VHT amps.

My thoughts exactly, except I hate them with Fryette amps too. :LOL: :LOL: On my old Fryette Deliverance and Fat Bottom cabs I always swapped them out for v30s. I think v30s work great with Fryette amps. For the KK, I'd blend in 2 v30s with something like a scumback J75. Sounds really good with my Marshallesque amps.

Alternatively, the Fane F70 speakers Fryette is loading in they're cabs now are incredible. I took a chance recently and bought a brand new Fat Bottom cab with the Fane F70 speakers. It's amazing how good that cab sounds with all my amps. Huge improvement. Better than v30s and no more hollow sound that the p50s always gave me.

mhenson42":3llnofei said:
D-Rock":3llnofei said:
P50s are VERY often called hollow sounding. Not a good match with not Fryette/VHT amps.

My thoughts exactly, except I hate them with Fryette amps too. :LOL: :LOL: On my old Fryette Deliverance and Fat Bottom cabs I always swapped them out for v30s. I think v30s work great with Fryette amps. For the KK, I'd blend in 2 v30s with something like a scumback J75. Sounds really good with my Marshallesque amps.

Alternatively, the Fane F70 speakers Fryette is loading in they're cabs now are incredible. I took a chance recently and bought a brand new Fat Bottom cab with the Fane F70 speakers. It's amazing how good that cab sounds with all my amps. Huge improvement. Better than v30s and no more hollow sound that the p50s always gave me.
I've been curious about the F70. Glad to hear they're good. Not to totally derail the thread, but what do like about the F70 over the v30?

fearhk213":2enh2jm4 said:
mhenson42":2enh2jm4 said:
D-Rock":2enh2jm4 said:

I've been curious about the F70. Glad to hear they're good. Not to totally derail the thread, but what do like about the F70 over the v30?

The F70 seems warmer while retaining the right level of grind/aggressiveness and tightness. Sound is richer/fuller to me. I do love using v30s too, but it tend to blend them with greenback style speakers (scumback Ms & Js) to get the similar results.

mhenson42":15u9790g said:
fearhk213":15u9790g said:
mhenson42":15u9790g said:
D-Rock":15u9790g said:

The F70 seems warmer while retaining the right level of grind/aggressiveness and tightness. Sound is richer/fuller to me. I do love using v30s too, but it tend to blend them with greenback style speakers (scumback Ms & Js) to get the similar results.
:thumbsup:

maddnotez":sv3vktvf said:
D412 was very tight. Like a laser beam. Great for live and recording but I couldn't deal with it at practice.

"Laser beam" sounds like the FB412. you sure you had the D412?

PeteLaramee":sv3vktvf said:
The D412 is very tight and focused/directional, but not as much as the Fat Bottom 4x12. It also sounds a little deeper.

This is how I would compare the two as well. the D412 may be more "directional" than a traditional rear loaded 4x12 (particularly a straight cab), but to my ears the D412 is a perfect balance between remaining tight and also filling the room around it. The FB412 is very directional and very tight, with the D412 being somewhere between the FB and a traditional rear loaded cab when it comes to tightness and room sound dissipation.

Bob Savage":2h1e3f0j said:
maddnotez":2h1e3f0j said:
D412 was very tight. Like a laser beam. Great for live and recording but I couldn't deal with it at practice.

Yep,

Was a demo cab directly from Fryette and I got it for a steal.

I did read the descriptions and I remember thinking wow, the FB is more directional than this?

Way to beamy for my tastes. Like I said, amazing cab. Top quality build, great for live and for recording but for my band rehearsals I just could not jive with that cab due to it being to directional for me.

Maybe it was the room or something else......But I ended up with Mills cabs if that tells you anything about my preference.

mhenson42":fcvyhd0b said:
fearhk213":fcvyhd0b said:
mhenson42":fcvyhd0b said:
D-Rock":fcvyhd0b said:

I know that Fryette offers now Fane70 speakers, but I did notice that the fane speakers inside Fryette cabs are Fane70 G with a blue/green color on the back of the speaker, and you can read on it: Fryette Amplification Special Design. The fane70 without the letter G which is available through regular retailers has a white/creamy back. I wonder if there is a big difference between the two! Is the Fryette Fane70 tailored to specs and thus very different from the regular fane70 ? Or maybe there is little to no difference at all ?

The idea is: why not to mixmatch the fane70 with the P50e ? I'm just trying to consider all the possibilities, cause from what I gathered, the D412 is a great cab, only the speakers inside seem to be controversial by falling into the love/hate category.

maddnotez":z1jwyi5r said:
Bob Savage":z1jwyi5r said:
maddnotez":z1jwyi5r said:

Yep,

Was a demo cab directly from Fryette and I got it for a steal.

I did read the descriptions and I remember thinking wow, the FB is more directional than this?

Way to beamy for my tastes. Like I said, amazing cab. Top quality build, great for live and for recording but for my band rehearsals I just could not jive with that cab due to it being to directional for me.

Maybe it was the room or something else......But I ended up with Mills cabs if that tells you anything about my preference.

I read a lot of times that the D412 fills a room and disperse the sound around much better, surely better than the fat bottom, this explains why some call the D412 a "vintage version" of the FB ! I don't know if the D412 could benefit of the fane70 speakers in a cross pattern. two fanes, and two P50s!

I thought I'd share a recent experience. I bought a used pristine Marshall MF280a cab with the stock Vintage 30MF speakers. Same depth and width as regular cab, a few inches taller. Very well made, awesome casters, nice handles, cup input jack. Beautiful cab imo. But when placed next to my ole trusty, dusty Mesa Recto Traditional 4x12 with Mesa V30s it was no contest. The Mesa, while being physically smaller sounded quite a bit bigger. More thump and more pleasing highs. The MF280 didn't have big lows and the highs seemed brash in comparison. With Marshall amps (and fwiw I typ don't play Marshalls thru V30s) the difference was there but not as drastic as when I used a high gain head. My 5150 sounded pretty terrible with the MF280 but really good with the Mesa. FWIW.

EDIT: The MF280 is 16ohms and the Mesa cab is 8ohms. I did switch the impedance on the back of all the amps I tried but...there is that difference.

Since you went with the KK amp I'd go with a Marshall JCM800 cab with G12-T75's myself. I like the P50E's in my VHT FB cab paired with a VHT 50 CL head,

Shawn Lutz":6jv79xjl said:
Since you went with the KK amp I'd go with a Marshall JCM800 cab with G12-T75's myself. I like the P50E's in my VHT FB cab paired with a VHT 50 CL head,
There is an early 80s (cup input jack) checker 1960b with (what SHOULD be, have not verified) old G12T-75s on GC online for $649 iirc. They just added the pic yesterday/today.

Back