VHT D412 eminence p50 vs V30

Hello friends!

Some people may remember me by the Marshall KK vs VHT UL thread, I really appreciated the help, and as a result I went with a Marshall KK ( There will be the mandatory NAD but I want to get a 412 cab first :D )

Now I'm out for a 412! And there is a deal for an almost new VHT D412, since the Marshall KK is a kt88 amp, I thought it would be a match in heaven (or hell!!)

What are your suggestions ? How would you describe the D412 ? Is the Marshall KK/VHT D412 combo a nice choice ? Would the D412 cut loud and clear in a heavy mix ? I went through different reviews and I realized that the v3O have their loyal fans, yet the p50s are also supported by people who grew tired of v30 and look for something clear and tight without being harsh or ice picky (hence v30)

Please don't be shy :rock:

PS: I was fortunate to find a youtube video of a guy who is into the same type of music I play and who has the same rig I plan to get: Marshall kk and a VHT D412:

D412 was very tight. Like a laser beam. Great for live and recording but I couldn't deal with it at practice.

The P50 were odd to me. I didn't like them at first but they really grew on me. It was a great cab but I ended up selling because I preferred my Peavey cab with V30 x 75. Call me crazy.

maddnotez":37wjija8 said:
D412 was very tight. Like a laser beam. Great for live and recording but I couldn't deal with it at practice.

The P50 were odd to me. I didn't like them at first but they really grew on me. It was a great cab but I ended up selling because I preferred my Peavey cab with V30 x 75. Call me crazy.

Thanks a lot my friend for chiming in! I wouldn't call you crazy )) I spent serious cash to get a high grade audiophile Phil Jones D600 bass amp and a Phil Jones 12B cab, yet I found my self leaning toward an ampeg pro7! Call me crazy :D

So I learned the hard way that tone goes beyond the boundaries of marketing! Be it a peavey or a VHT, if it's pleasant to the ears then there is nothing more to do! The problem is that I can't go out and try them for my self, yet something tells me I can't go wrong with the VHT ! I think the way you described it seems to fit my needs! Also many users have said they didn't like their P50 right out of the box, but after weeks ( even months !!) of putting those speakers through their paces they started to shine!

Ya, the P50Es are great after they're well broken in. Not a Celestion type speaker at all, imho. I had 2 in a 2x12, and toasted them. Replaced them with Emi Wizards, and I prefer those over the P50s. I'd like to try the Fanes at some point, though.

Hmmm, why not X pattern the p50s with v30s? Cause the P50s can get piercing sometimes, especially when new. They warm up once broken in.

I had a D412 a couple years back and sold it, stupid move. Awesome cab. Still have my Fatbottom though and it ain't going no where.

Can't keep them all, i had 14 cabs at one point and they all sounded awesome......in there own way. Now try deciding witch one to sell once you figure out you have cab aquiring syndrome and need to free up space for your kids to have a bedroom to sleep in!!!!!!!!

Yeah, i think the D cab would pair up well with the KK and the 88's. After all, it was designed to be paired with KT88 powered amp.

Go.

:thumbsup:

Nope. Don't do it. Marshall KK is a Marshall no matter what tubes you have in it, and IMO Marshalls sound best with a GB or a similar speaker, so neither cab will bring the best out of your amp. If those are your only options I'd go with the V30 cab and be ready to turn your mids WAY down. P50s aren't my thing..I had both Deliverances(60 and 120) and I also scored a D cab with the 50s. Ugh. Not for me. I liked my G12 65 cab way better with the D60/120. My feeling on Eminence is this..at low/med vol they are OK, but when pushed Celestions leave them behind. And I did have a KK, and I had a V30 cab along with a few others..sounded OK through the V30 cab, and I also had 2 800s when I had the Deliverance cab with the P50s...terrible with the Marshalls.

Haven't tried a VHT cab but my front-loaded Krank and Soldano cabs with Eminence speakers sound great with my 2203KK.

I had two D412s and fucking loved them. However i can't stand the P50s (I owned 7 different VHT/Fryette cabs at different times and didn't like the P50s in any of them). The D412 is very tight and focused/directional, but not as much as the Fat Bottom 4x12. It also sounds a little deeper.

I liked V30s in them, but also liked them with Chinese Greenbacks (call me crazy). I have a ton of clips with a modded marshall (el34s) through the D412 w/GBs if you're interested.

I've tried and still own a few P50's but I don't really care for them in comparison to V30's. I tried them in several cabs. They didn't sound horrible but they didn't sound great either IMO. V30's kill them IMO.

One other thing maybe worth mentioning.

When I had the D412 I was using with a Pitbull 100CL. When I ran a full stack with D412 and my Peavey with V30 x 75 it was the best tone I've ever heard in front of me but the problem was having another guitarist in the band and both running full stacks was not very realistic. He also didn't have much of any gear but if it's just you and you really want that super tight and focused sound I'd say go for it.

Maybe down the road can get another cab to run a full stack or speaker swap. The D did sound good but I dislike having a laser beam of sound. Another option if you can find a Mills cab. IMO for my setup it is amazingly tight, keeps the lowend in check but also fills the room and has a better dispersement.

-just sold my KK eleven days, 6 hours, 3minutes & 47 second's ago- :doh: - :cry: -that isn't the best combo, like was mentioned, GREENBACK's have got to be in the mix, I tried many, many speaker & cab combination's over 10 or so years I owned the 2203KK, here's my favorite three.

-#1)-MARSHALL MODE FOUR cab-(MF280 is what I had, has the "GOOD V-30's"-(Marshall propriety, black & gold back, says MARSHALL on top & VINTAGE on the bottom, no where in the speaker does it say "30")-V-30's on the bottom, two 55hz GREENBACK's on the top-

-#2)-custom OS 4x12-(100% 3/4" voidless, cabinet grade, Baltic Birch, including baffle & back panel)-x pattern of 55/75hz greenback's

-#3)-Fender-OS-PINE-Bassman cab-(originally a 2x15 cab)-installed 3/4" Pine ply baffle & back panel, 4x12 with one CELESTION 15" FULLBACK & two 75hz greenback's

*the CELESTION K100 speaker's-(HOT 100's)- in the MF400 are a good alternative to V-30's*

^^^Truth to SG's post...I forgot to mention the MF 280 cabs. GREAT with Marshalls, a V30 derivative that honestly next to my G12 65 cab sounds more like that than a V30. Softer mids and nice top end, and tight low end. They are better built than most 1960 cabs and are usually cheaper.

Racerxrated":3ugc1qy3 said:
^^^Truth to SG's post...I forgot to mention the MF 280 cabs. GREAT with Marshalls, a V30 derivative that honestly next to my G12 65 cab sounds more like that than a V30. Softer mids and nice top end, and tight low end. They are better built than most 1960 cabs and are usually cheaper.

-if my feeble memory is right, I think Kerry King used Mode Four cabs?... Don't know what he used for speaker's

Thanks lot guys! It seems that most of the posts are against p50s! WOW!
So, should I now bypass the D412, and look for an Orange PPC with v30, or maybe the new Engl with Neo creambacks?
I just regret I can't try out anything before buying it, and I thought the D412 was a safe bet with the Marshall KK !

maddnotez":60uh7g4o said:

When I had the D412 I was using with a Pitbull 100CL. When I ran a full stack with D412 and my Peavey with V30 x 75 it was the best tone I've ever heard in front of me but the problem was having another guitarist in the band and both running full stacks was not very realistic. He also didn't have much of any gear but if it's just you and you really want that super tight and focused sound I'd say go for it.

Maybe down the road can get another cab to run a full stack or speaker swap. The D did sound good but I dislike having a laser beam of sound. Another option if you can find a Mills cab. IMO for my setup it is amazingly tight, keeps the lowend in check but also fills the room and has a better dispersement.

I see exactly what you mean! Actually now in the band there is only one guitarist (me) a bassplayer and a drummer!
But it seems that most of the guys on here aren't impressed with the Marshall/D412 combo, so i'm kind reluctant :(

highgainer":32g6m0od said:
Thanks lot guys! It seems that most of the posts are against p50s! WOW!
So, should I now bypass the D412, and look for an Orange PPC with v30, or maybe the new Engl with Neo creambacks?
I just regret I can't try out anything before buying it, and I thought the D412 was a safe bet with the Marshall KK !
I'm assuming the neo creambacks are high powered greenbacks? That would be my choice over the Orange cab with V30s.

My P50 Deliverance cab speakers might have been worn out, but the cab itself was in good shape. Even with both D60/120 I liked my Celestion cabs better with either amp.

P50s are VERY often called hollow sounding. Not a good match with not Fryette/VHT amps.

Avoid V30s with the KK.

I love V30s but the mids were all consuming with the KK I owned. Just a horrible, washed out, midrange tsunami.

Turning down the mids just weakened the tone making it anemic sounding and uninspiring to play.

I recommend you keep shopping for something else...

highgainer":a37c2ezt said:
maddnotez":a37c2ezt said:

I see exactly what you mean! Actually now in the band there is only one guitarist (me) a bassplayer and a drummer!
But it seems that most of the guys on here aren't impressed with the Marshall/D412 combo, so i'm kind reluctant :(

Sounds like you need a new amp :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though if you're sold on your amp then I would keep digging. Searching for vids and asking around. From the replies here it doesn't seem like V30 or P50 are winners.

I'd personally start with a quad of the Creambacks but that is just me.

Is there any way you have access to using your amp to record tracks while testing Celestion IR's? It won't be the same exact sound as a different cab but will be a good starting point.

Back