Tell me all about the framus cobra

To say the Cobra is not worth owning because of "quality" issues is blasphemy. They are a pretty sound amp really, I've been around numerous Cobras and none of them have had any serious issues. It seems most of the people here have said they didn't have any issues.

The thing with the Cobra, is that it has such a unique voicing that is raw and brutal. For those guys that just own one or two heads and want to keep it that way, then yeah maybe it's not the amp to own. It does clean well, and metal even better. Not much in between. It's the most brutal amp I own, and I also own an Uber rev 2, Herbert, Ultra Lead, etc all in the same room. For those that want a big arsenal with unique items in said collection, a Cobra is a great amp to acquire, and at what they are going for these days it's an easy amp to afford.

Had one about 9 years ago for about a week. Did not like it. Built like a tank great quality and the clean channel was beautiful. But just couldn't get into the gain channels.
To buzzy / fuzzy sounding. Even with a pedal in front. Ended up returning it and getting my ENGL SE. But definitely give it a try if you can play it. Great amp as far as build goes.

They have on at my local GC and it sounds amazing. For some reason though the volume is fluctuating up and down at times. I had tried one like 5-6 years ago and did not like it. It was a fuzzy pos maybe it was bad. Anyway love the one that's in the Tampa GC store atm but that volume issue is a little off putting.

shred-o-holic":1zunrlzh said:
They have on at my local GC and it sounds amazing. For some reason though the volume is fluctuating up and down at times. I had tried one like 5-6 years ago and did not like it. It was a fuzzy pos maybe it was bad. Anyway love the one that's in the Tampa GC store atm but that volume issue is a little off putting.

Channel volume must be up at 75% higher. If it is set low it sounds horrible/fizzy

Also surprised at the above build quality comment. I went to have one modded and the guy told me "I'll do it if you want, but I wouldn't put any money into it. It's terrible inside". The guy dissuaded me from giving him business based on shoddy interiors!
No matter, I want another one!

We have all sorts of different experiences among us...just so happens mine was less than positive. All good though. I am more than happy with my growing collection of Mesa Boogie amps. Quality isn't a question there and neither is getting one serviced if need be. :rock:

Had several cobras. They were always glorious until they broke. Just saying....

I dug the rhythm channel with the mid knob maxed and the notch engaged. Old Dime trick.

Loop sucked for me since I wanted a decimator in it to silence the preamp hiss. But there is a mod for the loop issue.

rottingcorpse":3q62aocf said:
Had several cobras. They were always glorious until they broke. Just saying....

I dug the rhythm channel with the mid knob maxed and the notch engaged. Old Dime trick.

Loop sucked for me since I wanted a decimator in it to silence the preamp hiss. But there is a mod for the loop issue.

Don't you jerks jinx my Cobra!!!!!!! It works just fine damnit!!!

Back