ESP vs LTD

Metalone72

Just curious what the concensus is on LTD guitars versus ESP Guitars. I currently own a ESP LTD MW-600 and have been toying with the idea of ESP Version. Is there a big difference? I know the skulls glow in the dark on the ESP version and also has a extra pot, but will I notice a considerable difference in quality and feel? The LTD version I have is an early Korean version. Also are there different versions of the ESP version?

Thanks,
Scott

I've owned many Ltd's over the years but just never gelled with them. To me ESP's just seem to feel, play and sound better so I have seemed to keep the ESP's and sell the Ltd's.

Nothing wrong with Ltd.'s, they just didn't suit me personally.

Whether you will notice a considerable difference in quality and feel is up to you. I personally feel a big difference. Some may not.

From what I can find other than hardware and factory/craftsmanship, the biggest difference between ESP/LTD is that LTD has a 350mm radius board and ESP uses 305mm.

What I'd like to know is what's the difference between an ESP Horizon and an E-II Horizon? ESP says they're just a different name but I've seen sooo many claim that the older ESP's are better than the E-II. Any truth to it?

The Korean LTDs are definitely the best ones.

That said, ESPs are in another league.

...and no Gibson/Epiphone analogies please...cause that just doesn't fly.

There is a clear difference. I've been to a couple of ESP custom shops in Japan and seen their work first-hand, and the quality of those guitars is incredible... so are the prices. The STII, M, Eclipse II... are not as expensive as the custom shop models, but impeccable quality nonetheless. The LTD deluxe series are fairly well done, but they feel stiff and lack the fine detail of the Japanese models. If you can find Edwards stuff, then the upper end Edwards are less than the ESP stuff, but equally good quality. They're made in the same Japanese factory.

I had an LTD years ago (EC-400 or something like that?) and was one of the best guitars I ever played in my life. Was just solid, stayed in tune, great tone, no loose pieces, etc. Was just one of those times everything lined up. The Korean LTDs seem pretty consistent compared to other companies I've used over the years. You can walk into a store and pick one up, and for the most part will have that same feel. I'd love to have an actual ESP.

You can't go wrong w/ a 1000 deluxe series. Not ESP level, but the best bang for your buck out there.

One huge difference I noticed across the board with every ESP I have ever owned is that the build quality was superb. About a year ago, I had two Eclipse models - which I think can be easily compared to the EC-1000's. I also owned 3 EC-1000's. I found that there was a definitive difference in the fit and finish of the ESPs versus the LTDs AND they sounded different. That said, at the end of the day I didn't keep the Eclipse's and I still have the EC-1000s.

danyeo":27tipham said:
What I'd like to know is what's the difference between an ESP Horizon and an E-II Horizon? ESP says they're just a different name but I've seen sooo many claim that the older ESP's are better than the E-II. Any truth to it?

I have a 1987ish Mirage Deluxe, owned a 1995ish M-II Deluxe, currently selling a 2009 Horizon, own a Edwards LP, owned an LTD EC-1000, have played LTD's, LTD Elites, and E-II's. I would say that on average an E-II is on the same level as the newer ESP's, and that the newer ESP's are nicer cosmetically than the older ESP's. Playability is the same.

For the rest of them...

The LTD 1000's are good guitars with great specs, but something about them just doesn't feel the same as an ESP. There's a noticeable difference to me.

LTD Elites are E-II's (ESP Standard Series) with veneers over plain maple, but other than that and maybe the finishing they're on par, which makes them a good value if you can find one used. I don't know how rare they are I just know they weren't made for very long. Edwards are great guitars and are basically LTD Elite quality aside from the finishes. Both are basically a budget version of a true ESP, kind of like the new PRS CE's. Edwards are hard to find in the US at good prices because they're a Japan only brand, but you can find some at LTD 1000 prices occasionally.

The 80's and 90's ESP's don't usually have the elaborate finishes, the binding, carves, or hardware like locking tuners that the new ESP's and even LTD's have, but they make up for that with being absolutely killer sounding and playing guitars.

TL;DR

80's/90's ESP: tone/mojo
ESP/E-II: best cosmetics
LTD Elite: Same as E-II but step down cosmetically
Edwards: Same as LTD Elite but step down cosmetically (and maybe hardware, not sure though)
LTD: Great budget guitars. Like a PRS SE or MIJ Jackson.

i have 2 ltd dave mustaine V's - dv8-r's - they're isn't a damn thing to complain about with either one of them! nice guitars. nice fretboard, good hardware ect.... but then i set my guitars up myself - i had to adjust the necks on both of them a few times, but that's no big deal i guess - just basic set up stuff.... but yeah they're nice. also signature models though so i dunno if all that applies to all of the cheaper ltd's? lol

Owned lots of LTD and a few ESPs...even some of the same sig model, the ESPs are the tits, hands down.

mudf00t":1icz1ww9 said:
One huge difference I noticed across the board with every ESP I have ever owned is that the build quality was superb. About a year ago, I had two Eclipse models - which I think can be easily compared to the EC-1000's. I also owned 3 EC-1000's. I found that there was a definitive difference in the fit and finish of the ESPs versus the LTDs AND they sounded different. That said, at the end of the day I didn't keep the Eclipse's and I still have the EC-1000s.

My experience exactly.

The ESP's are definitely made nicer. You can feel it immediately.

My EC1000 still sounded better, and I sold my ESP.

ESP standard are better fit and finish for sure, I think they play better, which is preference of course.

The first year ltd guitars were made in Japan. I have a Horizon, and it is a killer guitar in playability and tone.

I have the Phoenix/Firebird for sale which is an amazing playing/sounding guitar, just not my style. Surprised how many guys prefer some of the higher end ltd guitars over the regular ESP.

bish0p34":nqz0mrsa said:
mudf00t":nqz0mrsa said:

My experience exactly.

The ESP's are definitely made nicer. You can feel it immediately.

My EC1000 still sounded better, and I sold my ESP.

That is amazing. See, I think people think that just because a guitar is really expensive that it will automatically sound better. Like I mentioned above, that cheaper LTD I had years ago was one of the best guitars I ever played.

I own the Esp Wilton sig you're asking about. Its an insane guitar, one of my favorites. They are kind of hard to find used these days. the Esp has a Birdseye fretboard and glow in the dark skulls compared to the LTD. mine also has a sado shop serial number which means its made in one of Esp custom shops. I say if you really like your ltd and want to upgrade you can't go wrong. I blacked mine out and added Emg's. Those pickups suck balls IMO.

ESP Wilton....the guitar I always wanted that is so elusive!!!

A LTD that I really like currently, fantastic spec of guitar for the $..plays nice too:

LTD_IRON_CROSS_SW-630-80.jpg

Big Rich":273hcvh2 said:
I own the Esp Wilton sig you're asking about. Its an insane guitar, one of my favorites. They are kind of hard to find used these days. the Esp has a Birdseye fretboard aside from the glow in the dark skulls compared to the LTD. mine also has a sado shop serial number which means its made in one of Esp custom shops. I say if you really like your ltd and want to upgrade you can't go wrong. I blacked mine out and added Emg's. Those pickups suck balls IMO.

The one that I picked up (ESP Sig), the fretboard doesn't seem to have much if any birdseye. But like you said, they are hard to come by.

Back