Cabs with Sub Woofer

McLeanAB

Yo!

I have an ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12, both of which have a single guitar speaker and a 12 inch sub woofer (and a crossover with a 300 watt power amp for the sub, and a 100 watt power amp for the regular guitar speaker... all the mids and highs go to the guitar speaker, all the lows to the sub...). It's absolutely monstrous... and articulate and clear... so much so, that if I fire up my Marshall 4x12's, they sound flabby, woody (in a bad way), and thin... I'll play them for a while (days), start to dig the tone, and then fire up the Theta's again, and the Marshalls whimper in a corner... the Marshalls currently have 25 watt Greenbacks.

Does anyone else use cabs like this? I think Rivera had a 4x12 with a sub... what else is out there? Who else has used what? Has anyone used them live?

I love my ISP stuff... especially with the Combo and Vector having a 65 watt Creamback in each... the 'woody' tone comes through in a big awesome way...

Rivera made three versions; one that looked like a 4x12 that housed a 2x12 and a powered sub, and two versions that were stand-alone powered subs in a 2x12 box. I had a Los Lobottom 1 for a while, and even if it sounded cool in the room it wasn´t quite as benefitial once you had a microphone on it. Probably at least partly user error on my part, but I never got it to have the same impact thru a PA or on a recording as live in the room.

I've heard nothing but great things about the ISP subs. Have been watching and waiting, I will have one someday but I'd like to try to find the older single 15" sub.

Ive seen the Riveras and there are others out there. Weather they advertise as a "guitar cab" or not idk. It's just a sub in a box with a crossover or filters but I've never used any and I'm sure you get what you pay for, although a more budget friendly option might not necessarily be a bad thing.

Subs are a cool and fun visceral experience for solo bedroom play.

Completely useless/detrimental for live. Will muddy stage and all be trimmed off before FOH.

I could wax poetic about my ISP vector subs. As would gsxrbusa Tom. The smaller ones are good,I have the 2x10 400 watt one on a mess mark v mini rig and it's perfect for that set up. But the big 600 watt 15" vectors make a full stacks already massive tone becomes 3D. One of the coolest things I ever bought for my guitar rig.

We would both warn you away from the rivera sub.

Had the ISP Vector 12 for years. It's my surreal home jammer. But contrary to what others say I have used the 12 and the 15 live and have had no issues. But I use them as a subtle bigger tool. I don't crank the bass response but mix it in as a whole for bigger sound. That's part of the key I believe.

Great responses! Thanks!

I love my ISP Vector and Combo... and YES, subtly is the key... it's so three dimensional...

rottingcorpse":1b0o7zvu said:
I could wax poetic about my ISP vector subs. As would gsxrbusa Tom. The smaller ones are good,I have the 2x10 400 watt one on a mess mark v mini rig and it's perfect for that set up. But the big 600 watt 15" vectors make a full stacks already massive tone becomes 3D. One of the coolest things I ever bought for my guitar rig.

Fuck that. Tell them all the subs suck. I got tired of wasting my breath years ago. I own 4 and I want more. I used them live for years and got so many tone compliments it was embarrassing(didn't really even matter what amp). The common comment was you guys sound so massive. But whatever, I don't give a single fuck.

Awesome....

I'm on the verge of selling my two Marshall 4x12's to fund a second ISP Vector 2x12, so I could do a W/D/W rig with the Theta Combo and the two Vectors... Godzilla.

Oh yeah? Sounds like a great idea.

But screw you all. I run my DAR FBM and DAR Forza on top of two Cameron 4x12s with H30s,each on an ISP Vector 15" 600 watt sub. Even my three full warhead stacks cant keep up with that brootalnez!!!!

Fuck Tom's tone. All his fancy ass heads can lick my massive tonez fat nutsack! BTW,check out his gay-ass slippers! (Super jelly of his cute and understanding wifey,tho)

Gsxrbusa":1irozxu4 said:
rottingcorpse":1irozxu4 said:

Fuck that. Tell them all the subs suck. I got tired of wasting my breath years ago. I own 4 and I want more. I used them live for years and got so many tone compliments it was embarrassing(didn't really even matter what amp). The common comment was you guys sound so massive. But whatever, I don't give a single fuck.

Well said and I have had the same experience live. There was never a "wow your tone was so muddy and boomy" once.......rather "WTF were you using? Your tone was crushing!" People can make anything sound like shit and vice versa. I've seen a dude use a friggin Toneblaster sound amazing and another guy who had an 8K Diezel setup sound like ass...of course there are the retarded bass player bass comments abroad from the ignorant.....

Which Vectors are 600W? I can't find them except for the Steve Lukather model that seems to be discontinued....

tfridgen":302pr67k said:
Which Vectors are 600W? I can't find them except for the Steve Lukather model that seems to be discontinued....

Also discontinued I would imagine, or that may be the only one that they had made with a single 15"?

That's the one. I got one of the first ones available when they first came out. Got the second one used. The problem is their price,that's why they never sold well. There are a few out there with a knob to adjust the crossover frequency. Don't see them often. I

Peavey is making an 18" sub for guitar now. Way cheaper. Will probably score one to see how they compare to the ISP stuff.

Thanks to McLeanAB's input, I picked up a Theta Combo on ebay a couple years ago.

112854865_large_5ef216.jpg

No doubt the thing crushes. Buying it before trying was interesting, because I was expecting the sub to accentuate that kick-you-in-the-chest, thumpy attack of palm mutes, but the ground it covers is actually lower than said frequency, at least in standard tuning. What you get is a totally round, 3d wall of sound that will make you gawk. The attack frequency of palm mutes is still handled by the guitar speaker, so I recommend pairing with something ballsy like a Swamp Thang or K100, at least in the combo. I would love to try a G12H-75 as well. The stock T75 does ok, but not my favorite. I tried a V30 and it sounded super wimpy. Certainly the standalone subs paired with most any 4x12 will demolish everything in their path.

Overall I'm super happy with the Theta Combo, and the Theta preamp is not to be missed! Best SS gain I have heard.

I think Friedman makes a cab with 2 12's and 2 15's.

Back