Van Halen Official web site selling HAGAR things??

Red_Label":2llv2qbp said:
paulyc":2llv2qbp said:
The only thing I'd change is to have never had the split and see where VH could/would have gone, to me that out weighs the cool DLR solo stuff. What might have been...

What might have been? They peaked at Fair Warning... unless you're into keyboards. All bands have a peak. None of them keep rising forever. Especially not ones with a nutcase, egomaniacal frontman and a bunch of guys whose lives were being run by alcohol and drugs. It's just a rock band people... a game-changer and one of the greats... but still just a rock band.
They peaked artisticly with Fair Warning, but commercially they were hitting their stride with 1984 and crossing over into other markets etc... I think it would have been interesting if they had stayed together.

On the Roth / Hager posts i have add. Not the OP but i guess we love our opinions. Van Halen became Night Ranger with Hager or no disrespect to NR became another 80s guitar/keyboards band with girly vocals. I liked the music and always liked Sammy. Liked him in fn Montrose more than Van Halen. His singing is unreal, range,pitch control etc... Roth was a better fit with the music Van Halen wrote. When SH joined the music changed. Roth had the swag needed to put VH on the map a d delivered. Then the world loved the guitar hero and the end of VH began. If not why would VH release the live stuff on disc when Roth can't live up to his own standards vocally anymore? Pretty lame. I'm glad to have expierienced the only Van Halen cause anything after Fair Warning is watered down trying to re-invent the wheel 2nd hand bla..yes 1984 has some cool shit on it. To me it's the beginning of the end and 30 years later Ed tries to save it after he's out lived his massive drunken ego..sorry. Not into it. Bad ass undoubtedly.. managed poorly

I love 1984 as much as FW. I got the first album when it came out and am a lifelong fan. Ed's playing on 1984 is simply smoking. Who care about the whopping two keyboard songs? I listen to the others and always skip Jump and I'll Wait. GGB, DDL and HOP are uneffingreal. How can anyone on a guitar chat board not like everything about those tunes? They have groove, tone and chops for days. What's not to like?

Rick Lee":38cj7tre said:
I love 1984 as much as FW. I got the first album when it came out and am a lifelong fan. Ed's playing on 1984 is simply smoking. Who care about the whopping two keyboard songs? I listen to the others and always skip Jump and I'll Wait. GGB, DDL and HOP are uneffingreal. How can anyone on a guitar chat board not like everything about those tunes? They have groove, tone and chops for days. What's not to like?

Beandust":14o4bqwi said:
Can you find the words * don't like* in my post? UNREAL

Ah yes, I missed this ringing endorsement.

"I'm glad to have expierienced the only Van Halen cause anything after Fair Warning is watered down trying to re-invent the wheel 2nd hand bla..yes 1984 has some cool shit on it. To me it's the beginning of the end and 30 years later Ed tries to save it after he's out lived his massive drunken ego..sorry. Not into it. Bad ass undoubtedly.. managed poorly"

Rick Lee":17m73zln said:
Beandust":17m73zln said:
Can you find the words * don't like* in my post? UNREAL

Ah yes, I missed this ringing endorsement.

"I'm glad to have expierienced the only Van Halen cause anything after Fair Warning is watered down trying to re-invent the wheel 2nd hand bla..yes 1984 has some cool shit on it. To me it's the beginning of the end and 30 years later Ed tries to save it after he's out lived his massive drunken ego..sorry. Not into it. Bad ass undoubtedly.. managed poorly"
Still not finding * not like* is it spelled differently in what you've highlighted? I don't see it still.. maybe translate it gear page style.for me so ii see how you spell it

DANMARTIN.jpg

I like this song alot. Dan Martin of the former St. Charles Guitar Exchange flew out to CA to Ed's place and sold him guitars for years.

Dan sold me my first Marshall JMP for $375 in 1982'.

I bought & sold stuff from him over 20 years, he always treated me right.

Like anything else original is better.

I prefer solo Hagar stuff to VH stuff.

They all have been playing great stuff for 50 years.

Montrose fan since like forever. :thumbsup:

The DJ's on Hair Nation have been talking about "Van Halen murmurings" for weeks now. Supposedly, Sam said that he would be willing to do a tour as long as both Dave and Michael were part of it and they play songs from both versions of the band. It's probably a bunch of bullshit, but that's something I would go see. But, we all know how reliable Van Halen reunions and tour rumors are... :LOL: :LOL:

Chester Nimitz":1wjjtq8g said:
jlb32":1wjjtq8g said:
F.U.C.K. is one of my favorite VH albums. I also personally think it's Eddie's best tonally.
45038b82e3115c2e348848a70d9eac4e.jpg

57c8d9274d0023278d147485b27fdf70.jpg

Hell yeah! I think Eddie sounded better with Soldano than anything else. His early tone was revolutionary because it was different and it was Eddie but IMO Eddie never has sounded better than he did in his Soldano years. Just my opinion.

jlb32":368u3ajg said:
Chester Nimitz":368u3ajg said:
jlb32":368u3ajg said:
F.U.C.K. is one of my favorite VH albums. I also personally think it's Eddie's best tonally.
45038b82e3115c2e348848a70d9eac4e.jpg

57c8d9274d0023278d147485b27fdf70.jpg

Hell yeah! I think Eddie sounded better with Soldano than anything else. His early tone was revolutionary because it was different and it was Eddie but IMO Eddie never has sounded better than he did in his Soldano years. Just my opinion.

"Help me find the gear to get the tones from the Van Hagar albums"... said almost no one ever on a guitar forum. Why is that? Is it solely because his gear was less of a mystery in later years? Or is it because it was so revolutionary and on the edge in earlier years? Likely for both reasons. But the simple FACT of the matter is that his later tones were MUCH easier to get a close match with than his early tones were. They STILL are (even with all of the brown sound amp options that we now have).

At any rate... I love Eddie's tone and playing on Drop Dead Legs, Seventh Seal, and other mid-late VH material. But it's not even close to being as iconic as the tones on VH1-FW. Having been active on web guitar forums since they were bulletin boards... I've seen a thousand brown sound threads and very few dedicated to his later tones. A long time friend used to gig material from 5150 and OU812 when it was new and easily replicated those tones on his Marshall JMP-1 preamp and 9000 series power amp. They just weren't as iconic and difficult to recreate.

So while "better" may be subjective, thousands of internet threads (and magazine articles before the web) regarding his early brown sound clearly indicate which sound masses of guitarists prefer and concern themselves with.

IMO musically Sheehan & Vai had more creativity going on than Sam & Ed.

Was that to do with a steady diet of Heineken & Coke by Ed .... IDK, maybe.

But thats why Sam left VH.

SFW":3i2f72ks said:
While I love all Van Halen, I guess I'm in the minority here as well. FUCK is by far my favorite to listen to. I thought they were simply on fire with that album. Doesn't rally matter who they tour with, tickets will still be way too expensive.

You are not alone. To me FUCK is their strongest record. Songwriting was so much better than on their other records.

Alex_S":psan4v9c said:
SFW":psan4v9c said:
While I love all Van Halen, I guess I'm in the minority here as well. FUCK is by far my favorite to listen to. I thought they were simply on fire with that album. Doesn't rally matter who they tour with, tickets will still be way too expensive.

You are not alone. To me FUCK is their strongest record. Songwriting was so much better than on their other records.

You guys like the song Spanked ?

Back