Van Halen Official web site selling HAGAR things??

I just pinged my old contact with the band who probably can't say anything but we'll see.

450.jpg

Wheelchair tour ...

Sam doesn't sing much these days, just kinda growls.

Chester Nimitz":3ra7tx3j said:
450.jpg

Wheelchair tour ...

He sings just fine. I've seen him a few times recently. Far better current vocal state than DLR. No contest.

I always liked VanHaggar more anyway. Sammy can sing his @$$ off.

60871991.jpg

Saw him last summer he was Growling.

Never liked the VanHagar years.

However i saw Sam & Black Sabbath in 1980' in Evansville Indiana and Sam absolutely slayed.

I sat on a plane with both bands to Chicago O'hare.

fetch

In Sams book he said he knew Eddie was an Alcoholic when Ed tried to smash the plane window out @ 30,000 feet.

Chester Nimitz":14zysczw said:
450.jpg

Wheelchair tour ...

he sings more than your lame ass does so how bout you STFU? lol :LOL: :LOL:

Wizard of Ozz":16sqo6ty said:
Chester Nimitz":16sqo6ty said:
450.jpg

Wheelchair tour ...

He sings just fine. I've seen him a few times recently. Far better current vocal state than DLR. No contest.

I always liked VanHaggar more anyway. Sammy can sing his @$$ off.

This.

I prefer DLR era VH... because Eddie was on top of his playing/writing game then. But in terms of live performance and professionalism -- Sammy could outdo Dave in a tequila induced coma.

paulyc":3f6mc1cq said:
Van Hagar sucked. Wussy shit.

That had NOTHING to do with Sammy and EVERYTHING to do with EVH. And this is coming from a guy who prefers early VH material. Eddie found keyboards and went in the crapper. Remember 1984? What a let-down after Fair Warning and even Diver Down. The only thing off 1984 that I liked was the outtro to Drop Dead Legs. That was a throwback to classic VH. Everything else on that album was a clear indicator as to where VH was headed as a band. Which had nothing to do with Sammy Hagar.

This.

I prefer DLR era VH... because Eddie was on top of his playing/writing game then. But in terms of live performance and professionalism -- Sammy could outdo Dave in a tequila induced coma.
Pretty much this.

Sam is technically a better singer than DLR, but VH is always and only DLR for my tastes. Even the live Tokyo release, I like better than anything with Sam. Sure Dave hits some clunkers, but the guy loves R&B, and tries to mix it up and his banter and the way that he can turn a phrase is second to none in the rock world.

SpiderWars":2rv5wz61 said:
This.

Pretty much this.

I had grown-up in the 80s having Eddie as one of my guitar idols (though Yngwie will always be THE idol for me during those years). I finally got to see VH live on the 5150 tour. I drove 120 miles from the college that I was attending, on a shoestring budget. The entire band was so drunk off their asses that they couldn't even stand-up.... EXCEPT Sammy. He was all over the place, including up in the ceiling scaffolding of the arena. He was a wildman and put on the entire show. Michael Anthony played his Jack Daniels bass with a JD bottle after drinking a bunch. That was the only other thing that I even remember about the show besides Sammy. Seriously... I remember absolutely NOTHING about it in regards to the Van Halen brothers. That's how forgettable they were. And THEY are the reason that I went to the show. I was highly disappointed in them, but I left that show a Sammy fan (which I hadn't been before that). He salvaged it for me. I would have wanted my money back if not for him.

Let's put it this way... who would I rather hang-out on a beach, in a bar, in a studio, or on a stage with... Sam or Dave? Sam wins that contest every time. Doesn't take away from what Dave did in the studio with VH. But it does point to who I respect as a person and a professional more.

last night driving in from a meeting..my boss lady keeps fiddle-fucking with the radio changing (sirius) stations and shit. I don't know what station it was on at the time, but it was Sammy apologizing for any/all bad words he had said over the years...to Ed, the VH bros...? It was there for a split second and then she went straight to the bridge :jerkit:

anyways, i thought it was odd. And i certainly don't know if this was a recent conversation, or a latter conversation. I've seen/heard Sammy extend such comments before. I wanted to replay it and listen again to find out exactly what he said, and try to put it in context...but again, boss lady and the bridge... geez-fuck..should've dumped her ass on side of road :LOL: :LOL:

Red_Label":2ywv6kz8 said:
Let's put it this way... who would I rather hang-out on a beach, in a bar, in a studio, or on a stage with... Sam or Dave? Sam wins that contest every time. Doesn't take away from what Dave did in the studio with VH. But it does point to who I respect as a person and a professional more.

All of this plus... singer vs singer... pro vs. whatever... Sammy kills DLR. His voice and range are is better.

The Van Halen Store isn't necessarily a Van Halen "official" site.

To my knowledge, it's a bunch of fans who created a store. They are the guys who started The Inside magazine years back. There might be some ties with the band, but the Van Halen doesn't own it or anything.

Just for clarification.

Red_Label":1u6lzlfo said:
paulyc":1u6lzlfo said:
Van Hagar sucked. Wussy shit.

That had NOTHING to do with Sammy and EVERYTHING to do with EVH. And this is coming from a guy who prefers early VH material. Eddie found keyboards and went in the crapper. Remember 1984? What a let-down after Fair Warning and even Diver Down. The only thing off 1984 that I liked was the outtro to Drop Dead Legs. That was a throwback to classic VH. Everything else on that album was a clear indicator as to where VH was headed as a band. Which had nothing to do with Sammy Hagar.
I never said I don't like Sammy, far from it. LOVE his solo stuff and HSAS, but Van Halen with Hagar just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure since Ed writes everything that the tunes from the Hagar years are a result of his wussification and not Sammy, but the eras are defined by who sang what when, for my money DLR era is better, but I'll agree Sammy is technically a better singer. I'd also rather listen to DLR's solo stuff with Vai, Becker, Holmes, etc...than Van Hagar.

paulyc":cksuygaq said:
I never said I don't like Sammy, far from it. LOVE his solo stuff and HSAS, but Van Halen with Hagar just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure since Ed writes everything that the tunes from the Hagar years are a result of his wussification and not Sammy, but the eras are defined by who sang what when, for my money DLR era is better, but I'll agree Sammy is technically a better singer. I'd also rather listen to DLR's solo stuff with Vai, Becker, Holmes, etc...than Van Hagar.

We're totally in agreement on that then. I rarely listen to Van Hagar... though there were a couple of stand-outs over that period. But I really only ever listen to VH1--> Fair Warning, with an occasional foray over the Diver Down to get my Little Guitars fix. They stopped inspiring me as a band and Eddie as a player after DD.

Back