Warren DeMartini at The Music Zoo

Padre Bonic

Saw Warren last night at The Music Zoo. He's a great guy with no sign of an ego just really humble and told some great stories about his moving out and living with Jake E Lee and George Lynch stealing Marshalls to try to get the Lay It Down amp lol! He tore it up on his old Charvels and told the stories behind the art work on them. Andy Aledort was also there interviewing him.

Very cool man. I always loved the stories about Warren and Jake sharing an apartment and just shredding/dualing/noodling while watching TV.

Everything I hear about Warren as a person is good. He really was a bit of an outcast in Ratt it seems.

I regret dragging my feet and not going. Would have loved to have heard some Jake stories and the stories behind all the graphics.

Rdodson":3e3darmc said:
Everything I hear about Warren as a person is good. He really was a bit of an outcast in Ratt it seems.

I think that most professional, responsible, mature, great guys in rock star level bands in those days were outcasts. Unless you played in Rush or Triumph... you were surrounded by selfishness, ego-trips, debauchery, depravity, attitude, and general mayhem. You also quickly grew to enjoy the smell of your own farts and thought that you could no wrong. "Look mommy... my turds are made of gold!". Classic rock star insanity. Which is why so many of them faded quickly and didn't remain relevant. Bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, etc who have stood the test of time and who are/were able to still fill arenas and amphitheaters generally didn't create something that amazing by being self-centered douchebag rock stars.

Red_Label":37l207up said:
Rdodson":37l207up said:

I think that most professional, responsible, mature, great guys in rock star level bands in those days were outcasts. Unless you played in Rush or Triumph... you were surrounded by selfishness, ego-trips, debauchery, depravity, attitude, and general mayhem. You also quickly grew to enjoy the smell of your own farts and thought that you could no wrong. "Look mommy... my turds are made of gold!". Classic rock star insanity. Which is why so many of them faded quickly and didn't remain relevant. Bands like Rush, Iron Maiden, etc who have stood the test of time and who are/were able to still fill arenas and amphitheaters generally didn't create something that amazing by being self-centered douchebag rock stars.
EVERYBODY loves their own brand !!! :rock:

Until the day I die, I'll always hate you after you posted this story.

:) Seriously though, that is freakin' awesome. When I was in high school, I was such a DeMartini fan that some of my friends called me "Warren". A friend and I took a plastic toy guitar and painted it like his "Crossed Swords" guitar.

That guy's tone was one of the best back in the day. You listed to the heavy part in "You're in Trouble" when it comes in and his guitar just sounds phenomenal. So much talent and you can tell he is a cool guy.

mrcak":35jeletq said:
Uploaded this the other day :thumbsup:

My buddy from high school (and singer in my high school rock band) caught Stephen Pearcy's leather belt from that show when he threw it into the audience. I saw him in November and he still has the belt! :)

I wish I lived in a REAL city that had this kind of stuff. Warren is such a great player. His phrasing and just tasty playing in general really do rank up there with some of the best rock guitarists of all time. He has this ability to play something pretty simple and just make it sound badass but can also burn when he wants to. Great rhythm player as well.

Red_Label":3pe4igqr said:
You also quickly grew to enjoy the smell of your own farts and thought that you could no wrong.

_5S3eP.gif

Steve

Did Music Zoo move, expand, or rent a room. When I was there a few years ago their store was smaller than my garage! Most of their stock is down in a basement, at least it was when I was there.

danyeo":cmjkn38b said:
Did Music Zoo move, expand, or rent a room. When I was there a few years ago their store was smaller than my garage! Most of their stock is down in a basement, at least it was when I was there.
Yup they moved a couple of years ago

Cool! :thumbsup:

One of my later key-influences (together with G. Lynch, A. Smith, M. Petrozza and R. Rhoads). Tasty phrasing and tone. Nice to hear he's down-to-earth kinda guy.

P.S. all the guitars on stage were his originals except for the blood drip which was given away in a raffle at the end of it.

Back