With All The Fine Boutique Amps Out There...

SavageRiffer

Banned
why then do I still want to get and Orange Rockerverb? Orange has probably been the slowest growing amp on me ever. I've always kind of liked Orange. I once had an AD30 for a short time but traded it off. I didn't get bit by the Orange bug until I tried a Rockerverb and then the Custom 50. The other models were meh, but whatever the Rockerverb does just vibes with me. I also really like the Custom, but I think I'd hang with the Rockerverb for the long haul.

My main amps are a Diezel and a Bogner, but I can't get Orange out of my mind. For some reason, I'm starting to feel like I need a Rockerverb sitting right in between my Bogner and Diezel. What is it about the Orange sound? I'm not a fan of fuzzy distortion, but the way Orange does it really works for me like no other fuzz. Probably the only fuzz of any kind that I ever liked was a Selah pedal, but I sold that a long time ago. Please tell me Orange users, what is the appeal?

It is very Organic sounding and probably one of the best cleans on any high gain amp that I have played.

I hear ya, I have almost pulled the trigger a few times over the years on an Orange, but always stopped myself. I only care about the hi-gain stuff and I'm not sure how heavy they can go. I've never played one, so just couldn't see taking the chance when there are so many other amps I know for sure I want to own (or at least cycle through my merry-go-round).

I wouldn't mind a Rockerverb. Fun amp. I got to crank a Custom Shop 50 and it was pure tits. I missed one at a killer used price on the GC website many months ago and haven't seen one since. I used to own a custom shop AD50 and it was also cool but ultimately sold it.

I wouldn't get one but that is me. I never got along with them. They aren't bad but just aren't good enough to be better than the other stuff I like out there.

Clean channel is awesome and the fizziness can be mostly dialed out if you want to, especially with the right speakers and a clean boost. You can pick them up fairly cheap used. I use an OD808 as a clean boost with gain at 2-3:00 through a V30 6505 cabinet and it gets plenty heavy.

RockyStar":34lh6oja said:
I wouldn't get one but that is me. I never got along with them. They aren't bad but just aren't good enough to be better than the other stuff I like out there.

Right?! I argue with them too. And they are expensive for what you get out of them.... and ugly to boot. Just like my ex.

skoora":1jfnmawi said:
I wouldn't mind a Rockerverb. Fun amp. I got to crank a Custom Shop 50 and it was pure tits. I missed one at a killer used price on the GC website many months ago and haven't seen one since. I used to own a custom shop AD50 and it was also cool but ultimately sold it.

Yeah, I was blown away by the Rockerverb MKII when I first tried it at Guitar Center. I think they have an MKIII now or something. The Rockerverb is different from the other Oranges. It has a real nice vibe too it and less of the stoner fuzz thing going on.

GregM":qh7i1vro said:
Clean channel is awesome and the fizziness can be mostly dialed out if you want to, especially with the right speakers and a clean boost. You can pick them up fairly cheap used. I use an OD808 as a clean boost with gain at 2-3:00 through a V30 6505 cabinet and it gets plenty heavy.

The right speakers and the right boost really make a difference with the Rockerverb. I had one for a few years and nothing else has really sounded like that amp. I never ran the gain past 2:00, it usually sat at noon.

It's a bit more "metal" sounding than a lot of Orange amps while still retaining that big bottom that Orange amps have always been known for.

orangekick":9jloyw0d said:
GregM":9jloyw0d said:

The right speakers and the right boost really make a difference with the Rockerverb. I had one for a few years and nothing else has really sounded like that amp. I never ran the gain past 2:00, it usually sat at noon.

It's a bit more "metal" sounding than a lot of Orange amps while still retaining that big bottom that Orange amps have always been known for.

What did you think of the clean channel? Well maybe it's not a "clean" channel necessarily, but the cleans I got out of the Rockerverb were terrific. It's an impressive sounding amp any way you put it.

Elric":381cwsbt said:
Honestly? It's probably the colored tolex.

I admit that I don't much care for the cosmetics of their amps. The headshells are too thick, the tolex tears easily, and orange is not my preference.

I think beyond the sound it's the feel. I had an OR100 for awhile and was so much fun to play. It has a squich to the attack that is very inviting as a player. The loop was a bit noisy, the amp was heavy as crap, and most importantly I was annoyed at the Orange customer service- I got no reply via phone call/voicemails, forum posts, forum pms, and emails on a simple question....so I threw it out on craigslist at a high number and somebody snatched it up. Kind of regret that one! Maybe I'll get a Rockerverb one day.

SavageRiffer":3ny7kbl7 said:
What did you think of the clean channel? Well maybe it's not a "clean" channel necessarily, but the cleans I got out of the Rockerverb were terrific. It's an impressive sounding amp any way you put it.

I liked the clean channel just fine. I liked that I could get just a little hair on it at higher volumes. At the time that I was running the RV-100, I was running about 13 pedals, two of which were dirt/boost pedals. I spent a lot of time on the clean channel with effects running. I never had a complaint the sound. My only actual complaint about the amp is that it could be louder.

Back