EVH 4x12: Wow!

Oblivion DC":2e8r2e5u said:
eternal_idol":2e8r2e5u said:
MetalHeadMike":2e8r2e5u said:
Racerxrated":2e8r2e5u said:
eternal_idol":2e8r2e5u said:
heritage g12m and EVH g12m are identical, only difference is aesthetics. (http://celestion.com/product/28/g12_evh/) "both" made in UK

that being said there are slight differences that some can hear from speaker to speaker within the product but on a whole with a heri/m and a evh/m made on the same day with the same amount of play time will sound damn near identical aside from those minor variations within the product stack

From what I can tell from my experience. the VM speakers (also used in some limited jimi cabs iirc) the g12c25? its like a standard greenback that got the "V30" custom treatment. meaning it was another Marshall/celetion colab like Marshall's version of the V30. I'm not sure exactly what was "modded" from a green back, the magnet structure looks a touch bigger to my memory (but that could have been just the cover), and the paper cone might a slight variation.

out of the three i would expect the G12c25 to sound the most on its own, not in a good or a bad way, but the other two are the same speaker and the G12C is a variation of a different flavor of the same thing.
I've had 2 EVH cabs, and 2 VM cabs, and played through a Marshall with chinese GBs. Of those 3 the G12C GBs in the VM cabs are the closest to the 2 Vintage 70s Marshall cabs I own now. They are the best modern GB out there IMO.
Any of those options are nice speakers, and are great with a Marshall type amp. The G12 C are modeled after a specific vintage GB that Marshall has in it's museum I believe. You can get them from Marshall but are 200 plus per.

Are the G12C the speakers in those Hendrix cabs?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... drix-stack

appears to be.

Came in to ask about the G12C's too. I picked up an empty EVH 412 cab and loaded it up with G12C's. I remember liking it with my evh stealth head but I got rid of that amp and haven't had a chance to try my new amp yet. Now that finals are over I'm going to take an afternoon off and try that fucker out.
\m/

I hear ya brother; my last ever final is Tuesday :D Glad I went back but never again; I'm done! I'm stoked to get back to the real world; academia sucks.

eternal_idol":2wak4lkw said:
SpiderWars":2wak4lkw said:
I've read that the Hendrix G12C are UK made and have old style solder tabs while the VM G12C are China made and have push on type tabs for faster/easier production. GC online used is generally pretty proud of their 425a/b cabs.

there might be something to that...

G12C4.jpg~original

atleast the solder tab bit.

MVC-088S.JPG

MVC-090S.JPG

MVC-093S.JPG

and definitively the VM speakers, notice the change in sticker
I've read where the first model years of the VM Marshall put the exact same British built G12Cs in the Hendrix cabs in the VM cabs, and at some point they started making them in China. The first cab I had was soldered and MIE, darker sounding than the second VM cab which had the push on tabs and MIC. But, they both were great cabs and still my second favorite GB cab next to my original 70s cabs.

metalmaniac93":3krwmxaa said:
I picked up one of these. What a great cab and speakers!!! Sounds killer with the Gower KK++....

Amps warming up right now; love the way this cab sounds with all my amps :thumbsup:

MetalHeadMike":3b9qhr5e said:
metalmaniac93":3b9qhr5e said:
I picked up one of these. What a great cab and speakers!!! Sounds killer with the Gower KK++....

Amps warming up right now; love the way this cab sounds with all my amps :thumbsup:

I need to try it with the Atomica next, but man it changed the tone of the Killer Kali++ even in the 4th gain stage mode. Opened it up a bit. Definitely a keeper!!!

Well a while back I returned my EVH 412 to Musician's Friend because it was making some weird noise ( Sounded like a bad speaker :dunno:). The new one got here last week sometime, and I am very happy :D Tonally it sounds as good as the first one!

I've been playing my FB100, Savage 120, KSR Ares and Germino club 40 through it and hammering it at pretty loud volumes, and it just flat out kicks ass with all these amps. Whether playing nasty thrashy riffs and drop tuned stuff or sweeter 60s-70s classic rock through the Germino, this cab sounds really really good!

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the EVH speakers (a.k.a.Heritage GB) handle low end chug; they deliver a massive thunderous low end but hold together well and remain tight, chunky, & percussive. I don't know how else to describe it, but to my ear they add a nice greasy/grittyness to the tones of my metal amps and they add sweet gritty breakup to my Germino's tones.

cardinal":yvcxl45x said:
Definitely a great cab. Bummer about the first one but glad you got it sorted.

Thanks bud!

Yeah I'm' glad I went with an exchange vs returning for refund cause its a great cab. If a set of speakers sounds this good out of the box, I can only imagine it'll maybe sound even better once they're hammered hard for a while.

-the cab makes a big difference, ever wonder why ORANGE cabs sound so good with maybe the worst, mid spike, ear fatiguing, current production V-30's.... look in side, no center brace needed, not 5/8ths cabinet grade Baltic Birch,...... 3/4" VOID LESS, CABINET GRADE, BALTIC BIRCH BITCHES!! a center brace is an ear mark for even thinner, cheaper, sometimes not even-(GASP!!)-plywood!!! MDF & chipboard baffle and back panels.

-there are other cabs made of 3/4" BB ply, there's some old timer sleeper's, that are 100% 3/4" BB ply, 70's AMPEG V-4 cabs are room filling, tone monsters, and they bring the thump, if you worry about the weight of a cab-(TGP)-there not for you & your neo speaker's.

-those with the EVH cabs, try putting just one V-30 in the bottom, replacing a EVH/HERITAGE speaker-(the EVH is cheaper than the Heritage)- guarnteed to tighten up the ass end,

-

^^^
I honestly wouldn't even want to try another speaker in this EVH cab. The bottom is the exact tightness I was after; tight but not ultra modern borderline too stiff kinda tight. If I want th, I have it with my G12K-100 loaded 2x12 which is RIDICULOUSLY tight in the lows. Great for some applications, but just too tight for others. The EVH cab is just right. Adds some roundness and a bit more give/sag but without sacrificing tightness.

I had an EVH cab at one time. they are great for lowering the volume and still getting a cranked up sound. If I werent so addicted to the V30 sound I would still have it Great cab

-cool, they look well built, by eye balling them, they look to be bigger than a MARSHALL 1960B cab,

-if you have a V-30 kicking around I would definitely try it, when you were checking out the previous EVH 4x12, do you remember what the baffle and back panel are made of?

-No center brace right?

lespaul6":3uah2ljj said:
I had an EVH cab at one time. they are great for lowering the volume and still getting a cranked up sound. If I werent so addicted to the V30 sound I would still have it Great cab

-WIZARD's right?-
-is that what your using with the WIZARD's,.. V-30's?

-WIZARD MC I upgraded to a II-
-im a speaker whore, mostly low wattage GREENBACK's & and something to tighten up the ass end, I have been trying a lot of combinations, but my second mix of two MESA V-30's, 16ohms, and one CELESTION cp 55hz, 8ohm speaker & one empty hole-(detuned cab)-this mix has yet to be beat, runner up, old PINE BOARD, 2x15 BASSMAN cab-(replaced the baffle to a 3/4" Baltic Birch ply, 4x12, I call this my "MAGIC CAB" no matter what speaker's I put in it, no matter what amp I throw on top of it, it always delivers, in spades-(RIP LEMMY)-only issue I had with it, was lacking some thump, detuned it with two 16ohm, 75hz, 6402 coned, GREENBACK's & one c.p. 55hz, 8ohm, Greenback & 0ne empty-(detuned)-hole, FUCKIN bad ass!! No longer did it lack in anything, pine & poplar solid would board cab's are incredibly musical-(oh yeah, I couldn't leave we enough alone, put a new 3/4" Baltic Birch baffle two CELESTION 1777 coned, 16ohm greenbacks up top, one 15" CELESTION FULLBACK on the bottom, we have a contender!!

-curious what speaker/s your-(or other WIZARD owners
eternal_idol":3uah2ljj said:
ever since i've played thru one I've wanted one, or atleast a quad of Heri GBs. not a sound I Always use, but have a blast when I get the chance to, just the 25w handling per speaker concerns me sometimes.
using, or tried

I had one for all of 1 day. Just wasn't for me. It was built solid, I just preferred my splawn 4x12 more for sound. I just wanted head to match cab, but returned it to GC the next day after playing it for a few hours.

sg guy":2j7i9krs said:
lespaul6":2j7i9krs said:

-WIZARD's right?-
-is that what your using with the WIZARD's,.. V-30's?

-WIZARD MC I upgraded to a II-
-im a speaker whore, mostly low wattage GREENBACK's & and something to tighten up the ass end, I have been trying a lot of combinations, but my second mix of two MESA V-30's, 16ohms, and one CELESTION cp 55hz, 8ohm speaker & one empty hole-(detuned cab)-this mix has yet to be beat, runner up, old PINE BOARD, 2x15 BASSMAN cab-(replaced the baffle to a 3/4" Baltic Birch ply, 4x12, I call this my "MAGIC CAB" no matter what speaker's I put in it, no matter what amp I throw on top of it, it always delivers, in spades-(RIP LEMMY)-only issue I had with it, was lacking some thump, detuned it with two 16ohm, 75hz, 6402 coned, GREENBACK's & one c.p. 55hz, 8ohm, Greenback & 0ne empty-(detuned)-hole, FUCKIN bad ass!! No longer did it lack in anything, pine & poplar solid would board cab's are incredibly musical-(oh yeah, I couldn't leave we enough alone, put a new 3/4" Baltic Birch baffle two CELESTION 1777 coned, 16ohm greenbacks up top, one 15" CELESTION FULLBACK on the bottom, we have a contender!!

-curious what speaker/s your-(or other WIZARD owners

Sounds like an amazing set up you have- I have not experimented to the extent you have with speakers... I do use V30s for the Wizards and my Marshall Slash heads. I'm probably in the minority as most like the standard greenbacks or creambacks with the wizard. I do like the standard greenback speakers but there is something about the V30 that leaves some of that bottom off that I like.. they sound like a higher powered blue to me and I love that sound.

sg guy":6qg7f5vs said:
-cool, they look well built, by eye balling them, they look to be bigger than a MARSHALL 1960B cab,

-if you have a V-30 kicking around I would definitely try it, when you were checking out the previous EVH 4x12, do you remember what the baffle and back panel are made of?

-No center brace right?

The entire cab is solid birch including the back panel, and it does have a center brace if I remember correctly from when I opened the first one. I double check that point later tonight though.

I'm really surprised how well this cab handles metal and classic rock alike. I can go from wall shaking bone crushing punch you in the chest tight ass thrash and death metal when playing through the Ares or Savage and then switch to the Club 40 and get really sweet singing classic rock and dirty blues.

I need to get another cable and play the G12K-100 loaded 2x12 together with the EVH. Me thinks that might sound pretty sweet :D

crwnedblasphemy":9vte1fp8 said:
I had one for all of 1 day. Just wasn't for me. It was built solid, I just preferred my splawn 4x12 more for sound. I just wanted head to match cab, but returned it to GC the next day after playing it for a few hours.

What speakers are you using in your Splawn cab ?

sg guy":39k649e5 said:

-No center brace right?

Center brace indeed, and the baffle and rear panel are birch.

DSC03843_zpswkmmzlqh.jpg

hammered":29p45uno said:
crwnedblasphemy":29p45uno said:

What speakers are you using in your Splawn cab ?

4 governors.

Back