EVH 4x12: Wow!

MetalHeadMike

Just received this today:

DSC03626_zpsj5pajpcw.jpg

Only have about three hours on it, and I'm sure after break in the tone will change a bit, but right out the box I'm impressed !!!

Been playing through a Whitebox G12K-100 loaded 2x12 since I got it 8 years ago, and its been great, but I wanted something for the new Germino Club 40 I picked up a few weeks ago. So far I have to say that this cab and these speakers not only sound phenomenal for classic rock and blues tones, but it also gives the feel and response I was hoping for. It has a real nice bounce or give on the low end, the mids are crunchy, and highs are nice and sweet. Exactly what I wanted with this amp and for this playing style.

An added bonus and something I wasn't expecting was the amazing response with my Savage 120 in a metal context. I play mostly thrash and death metal type riffs with the Savage (Duh!), and this cab/speaker combo just completely changed the feel and response, and it changed it for the better! After playing the ENGL through the EVH today, I now realize how ridiculously tight, immediate, and unforgiving the Whitebox with G12-K100s was.

I was playing all my standard metal riffs through the EVH with considerable ease, and it was much more fun as well. It was just a much more relaxed playing experience which I'm guessing is due to the addition of some cone breakup and compression that the G12K-100s completely lack. Not that those speakers sound bad, but man are they stupid fucking tight, direct, and they just have no give at all. You really can't hide ANYTHING at all with em. Very clinical if that makes sense. GREAT thump with awesome brutality when your playing is spot on, but man you just really have to be on your game.

So far I'm absolutely loving the EVH, and if I like it this much after the honeymoon wears off, I'm planning on picking up a second to go all out full-stack baby :D

ever since i've played thru one I've wanted one, or atleast a quad of Heri GBs. not a sound I Always use, but have a blast when I get the chance to, just the 25w handling per speaker concerns me sometimes.

Is this your first GB cab? EVH's are nice, I've had 2 cabs. Congrats.

But if you have a chance to nab a vintage Marshall with GBs, don't hesitate. On a different level altogether. I have 2 now('74 and a '77) and they are special. Much angrier and raw than the heritage EVH's.

If one pops up locally for a good price go grab it.

It's a great cab. I've played through a handful of vintage GB cabs, and they sound good too. I didn't A/B them, and maybe I do have tin ears, but I doubt I could tell them apart from just listening to them.

sg guy":owwnkft6 said:
-play your 2x12 & 4x12 together-

:thumbsup:

The 2x12 is also a 16 ohm cab but is wired parallel with two input jacks, so would that change anything regarding how I'd hook up both cabs?

If the answer to the above is no, then I'm guessing since there both 16 ohm cabs, I'd plug each cab into its own 8 ohm jack on the amp? All of my amps speaker outs are parallel.

D-Rock":35cmdshx said:
Only difference with the EL34 cab is the asthetics then?

As far as I'm aware, yes.

I didn't notice until late in the day, but the baffle is angled on the EVH. Straight cab with angled baffle.

Racerxrated":26didhs3 said:
Is this your first GB cab? EVH's are nice, I've had 2 cabs. Congrats.

But if you have a chance to nab a vintage Marshall with GBs, don't hesitate. On a different level altogether. I have 2 now('74 and a '77) and they are special. Much angrier and raw than the heritage EVH's.

If one pops up locally for a good price go grab it.

Thanks man!

Yep, this is my first GB cab. I'm digging it for sure.

I hear ya on the Marshall cab, if a great deal on one ever pops up, I would definitely consider it. I'm thinking that in addition to a second EVH, I'll eventually wind up with a Germino 4x12 to go with the club 40. There built to vintage Marshall specs and from what I've heard are pretty bad ass.

Wizard of Ozz":2opjy64a said:
The Savage sounds great thru Greenbacks. I like them way better than the K100s.

... as you are discovering. ;)

Yeah, so far I'm liking them a lot. The low end feels completely different than with the K100s; much more forgiving. Still like the K100s, they're ultra tight and sound vicious, but with certain riffs they just really expose every little mistake. The GBs seem more fun to play on.

MetalHeadMike":1rzqgw72 said:
Wizard of Ozz":1rzqgw72 said:

Yeah, so far I'm liking them a lot. The low end feels completely different than with the K100s; much more forgiving. Still like the K100s, they're ultra tight and sound vicious, but with certain riffs they just really expose every little mistake. The GBs seem more fun to play on.

My experience exactly. Moving from my G12K-100 cab to my EVH almost feels like kicking on an overdrive. I actually have to modify my right-hand technique (which tends to be heavy) to compensate.

I do still love the K-100s for the right application, however, especially once they're thoroughly broken in.

Rising Farce":10tlp9hq said:
MetalHeadMike":10tlp9hq said:
Wizard of Ozz":10tlp9hq said:

My experience exactly. Moving from my G12K-100 cab to my EVH almost feels like kicking on an overdrive. I actually have to modify my right-hand technique (which tends to be heavy) to compensate.

I do still love the K-100s for the right application, however, especially once they're thoroughly broken in.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Just got done ripping some nasty thrash and death riffs on the Savage through the cab and then proceeded to plug in the Club 40 and hammered out some beautiful classic rock riffs (the tones were beautiful, not my playing!). This cab sounds really really good :thumbsup:

Sadly enough there's some weird noise coming from somewhere in the cab, and I'm going to have to return it for an exchange on another one :bleh:
Almost sounds like maybe a speaker has tear in it or something :dunno: You can't hear it when playing with lots of gain and at volume, but when playing clean or with mild break up, its very noticeable. Been trying to get a hold of the kid I placed the order with since yesterday and get an RA/shipping label.

Can you hear the noise when playing with a loud, clean tone? Or only with gain/distortion?

Back