Queensryche Empire Tone

Alex_S":10baz76f said:
That was awesome!

No doubt. He NAILS that freakin tone!

Its AXEFX2 ...snicker. Which doesn't surprise me...the Mindcrime sounds are about as (boost/modded) Marshall 800 as it gets, unless you listen to your WASP records... anyways, the AXE does a damn fine 800 impersonation. I keep coming back to that model.

Bronco":3jgthidr said:
Been listening to this a lot recently...love the tone! IMHO the perfect amount of gain, clarity, and eq. Anyone have any idea what DeGarmo and Wilton were using back then? I've heard a couple of Kemper clips from Big Hairy Profiles that sound pretty spot on (Bogner Fish and ADA MP-1), which would make sense since it was 1990 in the hey day of racks.

Thoughts?

Hi Bronco, Thanks for watching my vids! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pli16hvaO74

I LOVE that Empire record. All of the tones guitar, bass, drums, vocals, are SO clear and balanced. From everything I've found out about Empire, they used their racks for the recording of the album. They were really interested in bringing the studio tones to the live stage. I think a key feature was their midi programmable rack EQ, so they keep everything recallable.

Those guys were almost always playing ESP live and in the vids, but apparently a LOT of the guitars on Empire were cut with Gibsons. The whammy bar stuff is clearly ESP. If you use that as a benchmark, then the fatter/thicker tones start to really sound like Gibsons.

audiomichael":1qtjaaaz said:
Bronco":1qtjaaaz said:
Been listening to this a lot recently...love the tone! IMHO the perfect amount of gain, clarity, and eq. Anyone have any idea what DeGarmo and Wilton were using back then? I've heard a couple of Kemper clips from Big Hairy Profiles that sound pretty spot on (Bogner Fish and ADA MP-1), which would make sense since it was 1990 in the hey day of racks.

Thoughts?

Hi Bronco, Thanks for watching my vids! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pli16hvaO74

I LOVE that Empire record. All of the tones guitar, bass, drums, vocals, are SO clear and balanced. From everything I've found out about Empire, they used their racks for the recording of the album. They were really interested in bringing the studio tones to the live stage. I think a key feature was their midi programmable rack EQ, so they keep everything recallable.

Those guys were almost always playing ESP live and in the vids, but apparently a LOT of the guitars on Empire were cut with Gibsons. The whammy bar stuff is clearly ESP. If you use that as a benchmark, then the fatter/thicker tones start to really sound like Gibsons.
Ha! No thank you man; it was your vids that played a big role in getting a Kemper (arrives today :rock: )...I also got your Fish and X88 profiles as well. Your Empire clip on the Fish profile was very convincing. I think you also have a "One and Only"-esque clip from the ADA profile that was spot on too. At any rate, thanks for chiming in, and I'll be sure to use my LP as well.

Resurrecting this thread since I've been listening to this album lately. When I first played a Wizard Metal about 8 years ago, I immediately thought it sounded spot on to this album tonally. Just watched this video today and noticed some Wizard cabs in the background.

Absolutely love that song. Wish Degarmo would rejoin the band next year for the Operation Mindcrime 30th anniversary, that be awesome.

Rev":1ye1d8zo said:
Resurrecting this thread since I've been listening to this album lately. When I first played a Wizard Metal about 8 years ago, I immediately thought it sounded spot on to this album tonally. Just watched this video today and noticed some Wizard cabs in the background.

I knew they used Wizard amps but wasnt sure of the year? good find

Yeah, that would be awesome! Like Mailman, I saw them on the Empire tour... one of the 3 best shows I've ever seen! Their songs have always captivated me. I really liked Rage for Order, the tone was so sparkling, dry, and cold... really matched the songs, I thought. Mindcrime sounded good, but Empire... everything, the vocals, the guitars, the drums, the bass, the engineering, and the mixing, just perfection.

I remember hearing back in the day that they were using Marshalls mostly, but a SLO wouldn't surprise me. After watching that video (thanks, Rev!), I think there might be something to the idea that there were some Wizards around. I've never played one, but from other recordings of Wizards, I could hear it. I need to listen to the album again.

I would pay a LOT of money to see a 30th anniversary Mindcrime show, just like the Empire tour where they played all of Mindcrime... if they would do a big production again (like a modernized take on what they did then), and *especially* if Degarmo would rejoin. Nice thought at least...

Hell, I'd even buy Tate a toupee if it'd help... :D :LOL: :LOL: :D

Rev":1hrey3fp said:

I was at that concert , Day On The Green Oakland 1991. Metallica headlined and on the bill along with Queensryche was Fatih No More and Soundgarden . Great memories

The guy on RT who just scored the KSR and Wizard would probably be able to get scary close to this tone.

I'm a huge 'Ryche fan and I've found the core tone relatively consistent from Ep to Promised Land. The changes are more studio mix than in the bands live sound. Although there is a change in the bass sounds that start changing at Mindcrime with the addition of the defined Spector bass sound underneath the guitars.

My favorite source for ive Ryche tones is:
https://m.youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

Several vids of Wilton changing from Esp to les pauls without tonal changes.

And my favorite concert vid of them:
Rage Tour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cka97STYcZA

danyeo":1pxq0tyc said:
I have a magazine interview with Degarmo and Wilton and they actually thought, listening back, that the lead tones sounded annoying to them.

I hate the Mind crime lead tones.

I'm a huge 'Ryche fan and I've found the core tone relatively consistent from Ep to Promised Land. The changes are more studio mix than in the bands live sound. Although there is a change in the bass sounds that start changing at Mindcrime with the addition of the defined Spector bass sound underneath the guitars.

My favorite source for ive Ryche tones is:
https://m.youtube.com/user/QueensrycheBootlegs

Several vids of Wilton changing from Esp to les pauls without tonal changes.

And my favorite concert vid of them:
Rage Tour

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cka97STYcZA

I watched a show from the Promised Land tour from the guitar pit, and there were a few Wizards. I took pics, so if I can find them, I'll post them here.

Unfortunately, the real Queensryche is no longer able to play Mindcrime in it's entirety. Of course, they can play the entire album and throw a song or two in between the Mindcrime tunes, but Tate won the rights to perform it in it's entirety during the split. And he milked that shit to death.....and did a pretty good job at butchering it along with the band he put together.

Now that I've had some experience with mixing, I have so much more respect for Ed's role in the band. Dude has some fucking incredible bass tones and most of the time, the guitars would sound like tin cans if it weren't for that!

Back