Anybody have the new Mxr 10 band eq (silver)

1meanplexi":18x3jsfo said:
moltenmetalburn":18x3jsfo said:
I have been looking at the six band.

If this thing already copied the silent night noise mod then what is griffin still doing to them?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/MXR-Six-Band-EQ- ... mwBanner=1

Is it even quieter?

I had the 6 band and went with the 10. The 6 has no gain or volume sliders. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that it is really bright...Whew, do not stare at that thing for too long :D . I did own the black one, I feel that this one is more sensitive and gets there quicker on adjustments.

The six band is all I need as I will literally only cut 400hz a bit in the loop with it. I think it suits me well.

As for it being quieter I noticed in tue manuals the “nose reduction circuitry” is merely a non adjustable shelf at 16Khz.

I was just going to post the one I have up for sale if you’re looking for one.

I purchased it with good intentions and ended up not utilizing it in my rig.

bionicmark":1ztew9ja said:
I was just going to post the one I have up for sale if you’re looking for one.

I purchased it with good intentions and ended up not utilizing it in my rig.

Well, not sure really as I was planning on the modded one if I go that route. I would prefer parametric. Pm me your best price and the condition of it.

My response from Griffin about modding the silver one.

“Hello,
Yes, we make it even quieter. They don't really do much to make it "quieter". They put in one slightly quieter op-amp. We change them both to even quieter ones and a few other
component changes as well.”

Frehley12":txais7ln said:
I have the new silver MXR 10 band in the loop of my 2555x. No noise. Well built. I had the black 10 band many years ago and I returned it due to noise.

Just curious, how long ago on your 10 band? I've been running a black 10-band since 2012 and its dead quite.

Bogner fish into a 2150 will rip on its own for sure , but a little extra eq to taste is nice too. Never used the mxr,I have a mesa and source audio eq and like them.Might have to try this mxr for the heck of it.

I've got one - a new silver M108S I believe the model is, whatever - the model you're inquiring about. It's perfectly fine - no noise - no problems - yes it's very bright but I don't particularly care.

I've also got the Whirlwind Perfect10. Sure sure, it's got CQ circuitry and algorithms, but I don't - HONESTLY DON'T - feel the difference in price is justified for the purposes for which I employ this device. The MXR is perfect at what it does and comes at a decent price. I've picked a couple up because they're hanging off the back of most of my regular amp's loops. Once I tried it, I realized (after HOW MANY YEARS!?!?!?!?!) that the loops in a lot of today's amps, and the amps themselves, really benefit from having a quality 10 band in them to just tweak the snot out of them. It's almost like a massive number of added ghost channels to the amp - you can conjure a whack of new tones or sharpen your current tone. I used to use an EQ sparingly in FRONT of the amp, but no, it's TO-THE-LOOP-YOU-GO!!! and from there it's brand new real estate....

Best bang for buck addition to any amp. Period. And in the loop - period.

Hope this helps.
Mo

Little B":1xbwmnyu said:
Bogner fish into a 2150 will rip on its own for sure , but a little extra eq to taste is nice too. Never used the mxr,I have a mesa and source audio eq and like them.Might have to try this mxr for the heck of it.

Lately given the price point, Ive been thinking of grabbing one of their modulation pedals.

NOT for the fx (though the added bonus is nice.)

I simply want to use the eq section alone for the completely customizeable high and low pass filters, and two bands of parametric eq.

I might as well experiment with the noise gate also if I go that route.

Ventura":fcgaobgu said:
I've got one - a new silver M108S I believe the model is, whatever - the model you're inquiring about. It's perfectly fine - no noise - no problems - yes it's very bright but I don't particularly care.

I've also got the Whirlwind Perfect10. Sure sure, it's got CQ circuitry and algorithms, but I don't - HONESTLY DON'T - feel the difference in price is justified for the purposes for which I employ this device. The MXR is perfect at what it does and comes at a decent price. I've picked a couple up because they're hanging off the back of most of my regular amp's loops. Once I tried it, I realized (after HOW MANY YEARS!?!?!?!?!) that the loops in a lot of today's amps, and the amps themselves, really benefit from having a quality 10 band in them to just tweak the snot out of them. It's almost like a massive number of added ghost channels to the amp - you can conjure a whack of new tones or sharpen your current tone. I used to use an EQ sparingly in FRONT of the amp, but no, it's TO-THE-LOOP-YOU-GO!!! and from there it's brand new real estate....

Hope this helps.
Mo

Absolutely!

I’ve been using an MXR 10 Band in the loop of every amp I’ve owned for years and years. Couldn’t imagine NOT using one. It is my secret sauce :rock:

With that said, I have never once noticed noise from any of them....and I have owned quite a few.

Excellent piece of gear :thumbsup:

I have an older blue one, MXR 10 band…
How do these new ones compared to it?
Maybe the blue is the same as the black ones…?

mctallica1":he2wirxu said:
Ventura":he2wirxu said:

Hope this helps.
Mo

Absolutely!

I’ve been using an MXR 10 Band in the loop of every amp I’ve owned for years and years. Couldn’t imagine NOT using one. It is my secret sauce :rock:

With that said, I have never once noticed noise from any of them....and I have owned quite a few.

You ever run it with any of your Randall or Egnater gear?

Wondering what I'm doing wrong...coz I think it sounds bleh in the (series) loop of my MOD50, made me instantly want to sell it...was it only build for FX level and not line level?

Crunchtime":2c7xeeeb said:
Must be a random thing because I've had 2 regular black EQ's and 1 KFK and none have been noisy.

I think it is hit or miss. I had a mxr10 and it was fine, sold it off, then picked up another and it was noisy as heck.

I bought the new Silver model and a year into owning it my board started to pop and crackling.. I changed my powersupply and all my cables trying to rule it out and then tonight when I heard it I clicked it off and then didn't get any piping or cracking while playing. Turned it on and there it randomly happened while playing.. it also started to paired with my Compressor add dirt to the signal which it didn't do before yesterday. Turned it off again Compressor was fine in chain with everything else.

Has anyone had luck talking to MXR about why their EQs do this? I looked up and saw this was a problem with their 10-band all the way back to 2010. I saw someone in 2012 ask MXR and they said they would fix it for $75 :no:

I loved my MXR 10-band as I play a 8string Octave DGBE And it was the one I research in order to have better control for matching the acoustic sound with what was coming out of my speaker.

Atleast now I know it is the EQ but still sucks I may have to look at another brand and while doing it look at 12-string guitars as a gauge or another 10-band from another company with more reliability?

Hi btw!

AmbientQween":n9lnpq9b said:
I bought the new Silver model and a year into owning it my board started to pop and crackling.. I changed my powersupply and all my cables trying to rule it out and then tonight when I heard it I clicked it off and then didn't get any piping or cracking while playing. Turned it on and there it randomly happened while playing.. it also started to paired with my Compressor add dirt to the signal which it didn't do before yesterday. Turned it off again Compressor was fine in chain with everything else.

Has anyone had luck talking to MXR about why their EQs do this? I looked up and saw this was a problem with their 10-band all the way back to 2010. I saw someone in 2012 ask MXR and they said they would fix it for $75 :no:

I loved my MXR 10-band as I play a 8string Octave DGBE And it was the one I research in order to have better control for matching the acoustic sound with what was coming out of my speaker.

Atleast now I know it is the EQ but still sucks I may have to look at another brand and while doing it look at 12-string guitars as a gauge or another 10-band from another company with more reliability?

Hi btw!

Send it to griffin to mod for $40.

mctallica1":15a6mu7d said:
Ventura":15a6mu7d said:

Hope this helps.
Mo

Absolutely!

I'm right there with ya :thumbsup: The result I get running one in the loop with all my amps and even in front on some is worth its weight in gold. Just opens the amps up and adds so much girth, dimension and depth. I couldn't do without mine :no:

Edit: just noticed your from West Chester; Philly boy myself :thumbsup: Hell of a year for them birds :thumbsup:

moltenmetalburn":2ja2e1dc said:
AmbientQween":2ja2e1dc said:

Hi btw!

Griffin effects? Awesome! Thanks for that I was wondering if that could be a possible solution if modded.

AmbientQween":4csf6ieb said:
moltenmetalburn":4csf6ieb said:
AmbientQween":4csf6ieb said:

Hi btw!

Griffin effects? Awesome! Thanks for that I was wondering if that could be a possible solution if modded.

http://www.griffineffects.com
:thumbsup:

jkdsteve":gcdpobgu said:
mctallica1":gcdpobgu said:
Ventura":gcdpobgu said:

Hope this helps.
Mo

Absolutely!

You ever run it with any of your Randall or Egnater gear?

Wondering what I'm doing wrong...coz I think it sounds bleh in the (series) loop of my MOD50, made me instantly want to sell it...was it only build for FX level and not line level?

Yo dude.

I ran one with all my Modular setups, including my Mod50. Not sure what issue you could be having as it did the same job it always does for me.

Hell, I even have on in the loop of my C+ :rock:

T

exo-metal":morggjxs said:
Why run any of those when u can run a Furman PQ3

I have a PQ3 and a PQ6 (2 3’s in the same unit), which I love, but there is just something about the MXR 10 band that opens up an amp. I’ve been known to have one in the loop and run everything flat at times just to get the juice of the unit...

Back