Marshall JCM800 2205 - Modded by Hermansson Amplification

Hi guys!
Max Landegren from the band 'Billion Dollar Babies' came by with his other JCM800 and wanted me to rebuild the distortion channel in it. I’ve modded his other JCM800 before and he asked me to make this amp more suited for soloing with a fatter sound with more compression and gain.
IMG_8486-1024x768.jpg

IMG_8447-1024x768.jpg

Stock JCM800 2205, not my favorite Marshall but soon it will be sounding like I want it to do.

IMG_8475-1024x768.jpg

I made this small turret board for the distortion channel.

IMG_8481-1024x768.jpg

The new turret board for the distortion channel is in place and some changes are made to the power amp and power supply.

IMG_8488-1024x768.jpg

The faceplate in the upper right corner that makes all the difference ;)

Here's Max trying out the amp for the first time after the modification:

He's for sure a good guitar player!

I'd like to know just how far the 2205/2210 amps can be taken as far as more gain and better tone. If you lose the reverb can another tube gain stage be added ? How about making the cleans better ? What else can be done ? Thanks !

paulyc":1xoitglc said:
I'd like to know just how far the 2205/2210 amps can be taken as far as more gain and better tone. If you lose the reverb can another tube gain stage be added? How about making the cleans better? What else can be done? Thanks !

Everything is possible but it requires some re-engineering, clean channels can usually be made "better" with just a change of frequency filters. In these 2205 it's a rectifier bridge that distorts the signal as the main distortion source, so it's more or less as like a distortion pedal. Distortion channels are a bit more complex if you ask me since they usually need changes in frequency filters and distortion/harmonics/compression to sound and feel really good. And you need a good layout for high gain circuits otherwise it will oscillate and be noisy. There are well-known amp companies that have multiple stages of treble cut filters in their designs to cover bad layouts which make their distortion channels to sound dull and you need a tube screamer in front of the amp to make it come alive.

Back