How much RAM needed on a MacBook for recording and running..

Econ

Music apps?

Looking to buy a MacBook and wonder if 8 megs of RAM would be enough to run music software applications and do some recording or I would need 16 megs? The laptops with 8 megs are stock in the Apple store close to home. If I want a Mac with 16 megs, they will have to order it and it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get. What would you recommend?

Are you talking about wanting to run GarageBand for some ideas, or going all out and wanting Pro Tools or Logic Pro? If the answer is Pro Tools or Logic Pro, you may want to consider something else than a MacBook. I always tell people, buy a computer for what you need tomorrow not for what you need today.

Thinking about a DAW not too complicated to be used. I'm a noobie at this, so don't have much experience with recording. Will also use the computer to manage IR's, drum tracks, guitarbacking tracks and things of that nature.

would suggest 16Gb minimum.

But i'd be more worried about the sub par processors in the non pro mac books. THAT will likely hold you back more then having only 8gb ram.

for those prices, you can get a MUCH better laptop on the PC side. might be able to get a gaming laptop with a proper quad core i7 for just a hair more than an 8gb macbook

I'm using a Macbook with 8G's of RAM and start getting overloads when I'm maxing out plug-ins in Logic...but I mean like 15-20 plug-ins at once. If I were to buy another Macbook I'd definitely go for the 16Gig only because it's just less sub-mixing that I'd have to do.

Rumors say there will be new revisions very soon, so you may wait till the Developer conference happened? You might get more for your money by waiting just a few weeks...

Alex_S":1g6vqevp said:
Rumors say there will be new revisions very soon, so you may wait till the Developer conference happened? You might get more for your money by waiting just a few weeks...

It will be a little more than a few weeks, closer to 2-3 months.

they may get announced sooner, but won't be available until the end of the summer.

or.. you know... spend the same on what will outspec the forth coming macbook pro

this is in Canadian funds.. same price as a 8gb macbook. (dual core, 8gb ram, 512gb storage )

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

comes with a quad core +hyper threading I7 (need a 15 inch mac book pro for that) 16 gb ram, and more than Double the total storage (128gb ssd, 1tb hdd)
a graphics card that could come in useful for future proofing. Its only a matter of time before IR production get into GPGPU computing for better accuracy

Also equipped with the better DDR4 vs DDR3 in the macbook

Plus you can upgrade this laptop, while good freaking luck with a macbook.

Current macbooks are on Broadwell, Current PC laptops are phasing out Skylake to Kabylake this fall, while apple is phasing out broadwell for Skylake, or possibly Ryzen.

now a days, macs and PC are pretty much equal for music production in terms of how they do the job, only staggering difference is your money goes farther with PC.

Not to hijack but when it comes to recording with macs, is it safe to say everyone is using the thunderbolt connection over USB?

Thunderbolt is ridiculously faster and more stable. I was shocked how much better everything was when I switched to TB.

over in which respect?

if this is a TB vs USB question, Depending on size of project simultaneously recording. it also depend at what rates you are recording at.

for most people however, unless they need to do full band live off the floor with a full drum kit mic. USB is enough IIRC i could be wrong but USB atleast 2.0 is capable of 24/24 (i/o) at the industry standard sample rates. and if the same memory serves me USB3 is capable of 48/48 at the same sample rates.

the big difference in this range of I/o is really monitoring latency

and TBH i've seen more fire wire gear than Thunderbolt

eternal_idol":1bnve268 said:
over in which respect?

if this is a TB vs USB question, Depending on size of project simultaneously recording. it also depend at what rates you are recording at.

for most people however, unless they need to do full band live off the floor with a full drum kit mic. USB is enough IIRC i could be wrong but USB atleast 2.0 is capable of 24/24 (i/o) at the industry standard sample rates. and if the same memory serves me USB3 is capable of 48/48 at the same sample rates.

Isn't FireWire pretty much obsolete now? Do new interfaces/ computers even support FireWire? I heard the industry pretty much left that in the past.

nevusofota":3kvky25k said:
eternal_idol":3kvky25k said:
over in which respect?

Isn't FireWire pretty much obsolete now? Do new interfaces/ computers even support FireWire? I heard the industry pretty much left that in the past.

Partially right, Obsolete, that is up for debate It still has inherent advantages over current stuff due to its design. If you are looking merely on the Apple/mac stand point. yes they killed that for at the time propitiatory Thunderbolt design.

I'm constantly seeing the connector included on motherboards in all manners external facing, internal junction for external facing add in card. Its still relevant in the workstation grade desktops and business/media grade laptops. Just all on the PC side.

i don't know about "new" per say, but there are current production implementations working on a large scale with Firewire. Allen and heath Z16 comes to mind I think its a few years since introduction but still current and available

eternal_idol":vcczuy4r said:
Alex_S":vcczuy4r said:

It will be a little more than a few weeks, closer to 2-3 months.

they may get announced sooner, but won't be available until the end of the summer.

or.. you know... spend the same on what will outspec the forth coming macbook pro

this is in Canadian funds.. same price as a 8gb macbook. (dual core, 8gb ram, 512gb storage )

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... gnorebbr=1

comes with a quad core +hyper threading I7 (need a 15 inch mac book pro for that) 16 gb ram, and more than Double the total storage (128gb ssd, 1tb hdd)
a graphics card that could come in useful for future proofing. Its only a matter of time before IR production get into GPGPU computing for better accuracy

Also equipped with the better DDR4 vs DDR3 in the macbook

Plus you can upgrade this laptop, while good freaking luck with a macbook.

Current macbooks are on Broadwell, Current PC laptops are phasing out Skylake to Kabylake this fall, while apple is phasing out broadwell for Skylake, or possibly Ryzen.

now a days, macs and PC are pretty much equal for music production in terms of how they do the job, only staggering difference is your money goes farther with PC.

WWDC will take Place 5th June. Availability of machines is speculative right now. But by June we know if waiting makes sense.

And yes, PCs might be cheaper. I prefer a MBP by far nevertheless. Of course whatever you prefer.

I vote imac.

I wouldnt use a laptop for recording, simpel.... mobile components!

I have a 2010 imac still running wicked, yes its a bit slow now but it does the job.
In these 7 years ive gone trough 4 pc's. Viruses and other problems software related always killed those systems.

My brother builds his own pc's so he would say get a pc and for him that would be perfect, im not that handy so a dummy proof imac is my choice.

Good luck!

the laptops i'm recommending have desktop parts in them ;)

I don't enjoy being charged an unreal premium for old tech, I am not dealing with recording projects that require Thunder Bolt, and if I was there are options on the PC side.

I will admit, I am a bit more tech savvy then your average guitarist. I can't actually remember the last time I've had a computer virus, I run ad-block on sites that run malicious ads, I don't download pirated thing.

I will give it to the Imac tho, it is spec'd properly for the job.

eternal_idol":2r6ak9jq said:

I don't enjoy being charged an unreal premium for old tech, I am not dealing with recording projects that require Thunder Bolt, and if I was there are options on the PC side.
What are these options?

nevusofota":1ni7mk0m said:
eternal_idol":1ni7mk0m said:

What are these options?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-Acc ... rboltEX-3/
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC- ... -rev-10#ov

most PC motherboards that are above budget grade getting into mainstream grade, atleast with these two brands will give you an option.

Gigabyte is a little more limited on which boards have support, Asus on the other hand was the first to jump on to it right after apple
(Intel is a partner in this junction and Asus is Intel's OEM{or atleast, one of}). their boards have had support for years!

Basically if they have a professional work station grade motherboard in their line up there will be others supporting it as well. It is still being used in professional environments for video editing and such.

Back