What Amp to Pair with a Rectifier?

BeZo

My guitarist rocks a two channel Mesa Triple Rectifier with EL34s, and I want to put another amp on track next to it. All the best guitar tones I've heard have always been two or more amps, so I want to blend something in there. Rather than list the amps I can get my hands on, I'll just open it up for opinion and experience. What would you mix with a Rectifier?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want metal, then that's easy. If you feel like you got metal covered and want more tonal variety, then that's a different story.

METAL & ROCK COMPANIONS:

Blackstar S1
Diezel VH4
Peavey 6505+
Marshall JVM410
Bogner Uberschall
Diamond Phantom
Egnater Armageddon
Engl Savage
Engl Invader
Fryette Pitbull CL100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp
Orange Rockerverb MKIII
PRS Archon
Soldano Hot Rod 50+
Friedman BE100

On our last album, we used a Stiletto Trident with the Triple Rectifier. It's kind of a funny story, really.

He uses a G Major II for effects and uses its relays to switch channels. When we hooked up the stereo rig, I ran an ABY up front, and ran both effects loops into the G Major II. We were getting some weird results, so I did some research.
It turns out that the G Major II is not as stereo as I thought. It summed the inputs to one channel, applied effects, and then sent out a stereo signal to each amp. We ended up with two identical sounding tracks through two different rigs miced up separately. It sounded good, so we went with it.

SavageRiffer":25hv8f21 said:
It depends on what you want to do. If you want metal, then that's easy. If you feel like you got metal covered and want more tonal variety, then that's a different story.

METAL & ROCK COMPANIONS:

Blackstar S1
Diezel VH4
Peavey 6505+
Marshall JVM410
Bogner Uberschall
Diamond Phantom
Egnater Armageddon
Engl Savage
Engl Invader
Fryette Pitbull CL100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp
Orange Rockerverb MKIII
PRS Archon
Soldano Hot Rod 50+
Friedman BE100

Part of me wants the Marshall mids to punch it a little, but it also might be cool to have a darker amp too. An Orange Rockerverb and a Bogner Uberschall are on the short list. I might also try a Rivera Knucklehead or a Splawn Quick Rod.

Ultimately, the studio has a Kemper, so the sky is the limit. I'm just experimenting with pre-production right now. It's sooo much more fun to hear the real amps in the jam room, rather than flipping through amps like they were radio stations.

Is he using vintage or modern mode on the Recto? Soldanos, the Uberschall and PRS Archon are a bit similar in the voicing to vintage mode.

Mesa Mark III or IV would be perfect. VHT Deliverance or any higher gain Marshall style amp would work well (including the Mesa Stiletto, which can be had for dirt cheap). Peavey Ultra might work well too.

BeZo":pbrq2vui said:
Part of me wants the Marshall mids to punch it a little, but it also might be cool to have a darker amp too. An Orange Rockerverb and a Bogner Uberschall are on the short list. I might also try a Rivera Knucklehead or a Splawn Quick Rod.

Ultimately, the studio has a Kemper, so the sky is the limit. I'm just experimenting with pre-production right now. It's sooo much more fun to hear the real amps in the jam room, rather than flipping through amps like they were radio stations.

Ah yes, the Quickrod and Knucklehead are both great amps and I've owned both. I think the Knucklehead would particularly match well with your Rectifier. It has a great feel and crushing rhythm sounds. I probably had more fun speaker swapping with my Knucklehead than any other amp. Rivera amps do well with a wide variety of speakers for some reason.

Old Marshall JMPs sound KILLER mixed with a Recto. The JMP gives you the high end bite, and the Mesa has the thick chunk. The blend of the two is awesome.

The Marshall will also add clarity to your sound.

VH4 would be my first pick as well... it pairs great with just about anything.

Marshall 2203... Mesa Mark III/IV... Bogner Uber TJ.

jcm 800/ jmp
modded marshalls
peavey 5150s
Boogie marks.
A silver jubie would work all thought i've not tried the combo
ubershall works but you have to be careful to give each amp their own tonal room so to speak

hell even a DSL 100 worked well. (the original ones mind you not the recent ones)

rectifiers are the hard rock chameleon, I'd think you'd be harder pressed finding an amp that doesn't work with than finding an amp that does

There was a semi-popular band out of Chicago, Dovetail Joint, that paired a Bogner with a Rec.

Back