New Pedals Day: Mesa & Airis

Wizard of Ozz

pedals55_zpszv0aiyf8.jpg

Got the Mesa 5-Band Eq, Mesa Grid Slammer and Airis Proto Drive (already had the Savage Adrian be and OD9... they here for comparisons sake).

Mesa 5-Band Eq: super well built, true bypass, does exactly what you think eq pedal. Works exceptionally well with the classic Mesa "V" shape and most any high gain amp. The input/output controls work great too. The only Eq pedal I could find that was true-bypass which was really a big positive for me.

Mesa Grid Slammer: Mesa's version of the Tubescreamer. And it's basically just a high quality, true bypass screamer... it does not have as pronounced of a mid-frequency boost... and has a lot more output and gain on tap compared to a regular Maxon OD808 for instance. Really nice and well executed take on the TS theme.

Airis Proto Drive: the most unusual outside the box pedal of the three... somewhat similar to the Savage Drive (which I really dig)... but more mid-boosted, less mid-scooped (SD)... and way more tweakable mids. This would be the tweakable-djentable pedal. Lots of mid shaping options... but still functions in a similar fashion to a basic TS boost to tighten the lows and boost the level. It has 2 modes: open and focused... and each sounds exactly like it's name. I preferred the focused mode with my Mesa Triple Rec, Diezel VH4, and a Bogner Uber Blue. A really cool pedal. Definitely not a rehashed design.

Back