NGD: Les Paul R8

Wizard of Ozz

I couldn't resist after getting my R9 a couple of weeks ago... So, I picked up another... brand-new 2016 1958 Historic Reissue Les Paul R8 in LemonBurst:

IMG_1018_zps4wxrxjqv.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsspmueofv.jpg

IMG_1007_zpsi9tlskhn.jpg

IMG_1009_zpsbevhn50q.jpg

IMG_1016_zpsgkkuoq2k.jpg

I wanted one with a "realistic '50s" top... a little flame, some grain... and most definitely mineral stains (oh yes!)... BAM! This one delivers. Really subtle flame (but still quite a bit), tons of character... and a super cool authentic, realistic vibe to it. Oh... sounds amazing as well.

These new CustomBuckers with the A3 magnets really sing. Great take on the PAF-tone.

If anyone is on the fence about getting a new Historic LP. Do it. All the 2016s Historic LPs I've tried have been amaze-balls! And I mean right out of the factory box. No tweaking, no special pickups, no special set-up, no aftermarket parts, caps/pots etc... just plug and play. Not sure what special magic elf dust they are using now... but from someone who has owned/played a few... if you are thinking about it... do it. There's been some talk to about Gibson stopping the Historic Reissue LPs... in favor of just going all custom orders (more $$$) or limited dealer special runs... as there haven't been any production 2017s released... so get them while they are gettable. Yes... they are pricey... but well worth it.

Oh... and just because I like staring at it... my 2016 R9:

IMG_0988_zpszaxigdkz.jpg

Both are killer. Agreed on that R8 top, just perfect. I can't look at your R9 too long, I might go blind.

My thoughts are that finally the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They are making the most realistic-sounding pickups with huge amounts of "air" so you can really hear the resonance of these guitars. Furthermore, the all-hide glue construction facilitates an wholistic instrument as the glue becomes so hard that the guitar has none of the traditional impediments to resonance. And even the truss-rod with no sleeve helps. Every one of these I've played has been fantastic.

Thanks guys. :rock:

Rdodson":2iaxocde said:
Both are killer. Agreed on that R8 top, just perfect. I can't look at your R9 too long, I might go blind.

My thoughts are that finally the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They are making the most realistic-sounding pickups with huge amounts of "air" so you can really hear the resonance of these guitars. Furthermore, the all-hide glue construction facilitates an wholistic instrument as the glue becomes so hard that the guitar has none of the traditional impediments to resonance. And even the truss-rod with no sleeve helps. Every one of these I've played has been fantastic.

A big +1 to all of this. I think the Gibson Custom Shop has finally gotten the consistency down with making these so that it's become more or less a science... and less an art. 10-15 years ago you would have to go thru like 5-10 of these just to find a really killer sounding, not dead, guitar... not withstanding any cosmetic issues. But every 2016 I've tried has sounded, played, and just felt great in my hands overall. The acoustic resonance you mention is really apparent when you strum on any of these unplugged. Maybe the glue... good batch of properly dried wood... who knows. Just a really big, full, acoustic ringing tone. Also all the neck carves have been really consistent as well. No going from a baseball bat to a slim taper on the same model. I've played owned some nice single-cuts from PRS, Huber, and McNaught... and some very nice replicas from Baker, Yaron, GC... but these rank right up there... and sound like the best LP you've ever heard. A nothing beats a great LP for tone in my book.

When hide glue is applied properly (and remember it isn't just the neck joint but also the fingerboard and the maple top) is crystalizes and becomes harder than the wood around it. The whole guitar becomes this one vibrating unit, very similar to why the old European violins sound so good. A really good LP sounds like a bigger, bad-assed Telecaster; and a Tele has always had that resonance thing going because it is such a simple guitar (and the squared-off bolt-on mimics a good glued-in neck join in terms of energy transference).

I'm wearing sunglasses today so post some more pics of that R9!!

Rdodson":23j9sbf6 said:
When hide glue is applied properly (and remember it isn't just the neck joint but also the fingerboard and the maple top) is crystalizes and becomes harder than the wood around it. The whole guitar becomes this one vibrating unit, very similar to why the old European violins sound so good. A really good LP sounds like a bigger, bad-assed Telecaster; and a Tele has always had that resonance thing going because it is such a simple guitar (and the squared-off bolt-on mimics a good glued-in neck join in terms of energy transference).

I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Might have to find a Tele with a hum bucker in the bridge now.
;)

Rdodson":23j9sbf6 said:
I'm wearing sunglasses today so post some more pics of that R9!!

That I can do. She's a looker.

... and she sounds just as good. The neck is just a bit slimmer than the R8.

please take the stickers off the pickguard, people in the know know its a historic LP ;)

I dig the mineral streaks in your R8...congratulation, great score (as is the R9)

Shawn Lutz":lcwghgv9 said:
please take the stickers off the pickguard, people in the know know its a historic LP ;)

I dig the mineral streaks in your R8...congratulation, great score (as is the R9)

Lol!! :D :LOL: :LOL:
I was going to do that today. I feel like those kids that leave the tags on their shoes while walking around.

I really wanted a R8 with a lot of mineral streaks like the originals. It just gives it that classic vibe. Thanks btw.

:thumbsup:

Have mercy. Wide and deep, slightly chevron...NICE! Love the depth of the color near the switch and in the edge of the lower horn.

Yeah, a good Tele rocks. Find one that is light ash and has a bigger neck. They sound MASSIVE. Really respond well to the same type of output pickup that a good LP has: upper 7 to low 8 dc/ohm resistance. I dig the last few years of the Fender '52 relics with the "Twisted tele" pickups. Listen to this tone (go to ~ 2:00 mark for LP-ish tone:)

Nice. My R8 is my favorite guitar. Still have the stock PAFs (BB2 I believe) in there and it sounds awesome. the bridge pick-up has become a little microphonic though. Nothing the Decimator can't control, but I've been thinking of swapping the pick-ups for some BK Black Dogs, Mules or the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. I need to look into these new pick-ups Gibson is using.

Nevermind the sticker, take the whole damn pick-guard off. I hate those things. lol

Rdodson":3q5bz9jv said:
Have mercy. Wide and deep, slightly chevron...NICE! Love the depth of the color near the switch and in the edge of the lower horn.

Yeah, a good Tele rocks. Find one that is light ash and has a bigger neck. They sound MASSIVE. Really respond well to the same type of output pickup that a good LP has: upper 7 to low 8 dc/ohm resistance. I dig the last few years of the Fender '52 relics with the "Twisted tele" pickups. Listen to this tone (go to ~ 2:00 mark for LP-ish tone:)

That sounded great. Nice. I'll have to do some exploration. :thumbsup:

mhenson42":2ah61e0f said:
Nice. My R8 is my favorite guitar. Still have the stock PAFs (BB2 I believe) in there and it sounds awesome. the bridge pick-up has become a little microphonic though. Nothing the Decimator can't control, but I've been thinking of swapping the pick-ups for some BK Black Dogs, Mules or the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. I need to look into these new pick-ups Gibson is using.

Nevermind the sticker, take the whole damn pick-guard off. I hate those things. lol

Thanks Matt. :thumbsup:

I still really like my LP Customs (BB7 & 68 RI)... but these just sounded and played so great right out of the box... it was a real WOW moment.

Definitely checkout these CustomBuckers. I'm not a big PAF afficiando or anything... I usually use much higher output more modern pickups... but even to me they sound great. Someone on one forum or another, said Gibson took some aftermarket boutique PAF clones and reverse-engineered them with some tweaks. I don't know for sure... but they sound great... and can even work for some modern metal.

Wizard of Ozz":dokuuhz8 said:
mhenson42":dokuuhz8 said:

I still really like my LP Customs (BB7 & 68 RI)... but these just sounded and played so great right out of the box... it was a real WOW moment.

Definitely checkout these CustomBuckers. I'm not a big PAF afficiando or anything... I usually use much higher output more modern pickups... but even to me they sound great. Someone on one forum or another, said Gibson took some aftermarket boutique PAF clones and reverse-engineered them with some tweaks. I don't know for sure... but they sound great... and can even work for some modern metal.

I will. I like keeping my R8 as close to stock as possible so I've been hesitant on changing pick-ups. I figure other Gibson pick-ups are acceptable. lol I did swap for some direct replacement locking tuners though.

The BB2s sound really good and with the tone of the wood on this guitar, can sound plenty mean for metal - even unboosted. My black customs are loaded with high output pickups....Suhr Aldrich and BK painkillers. I really like the Aldrich pick-up in the custom whereas I wasn't a fan of it in my old PRS SC250.

I've had GAS for another R8, but I really want to get a super strat to round out the collection. I like Suhr, but I hate tremolos and finding an acceptable fixed-bridge modern is quite difficult. Lots of European builders building stuff that looks awesome and spec out perfectly, but these days I can't bring myself to drop $3k on something I haven't physically held. :doh:

Back