Looking for recommendations for a phaser, flanger and chorus

errrrrl

What's up RT.

I'm slowly building up my pedal board and am now looking at getting a good phaser, flanger and a chorus. I have been considering multi pedals like the Strymon Mobius but I kind of like the idea of having a dedicated pedal for each effect. So if you got a good recommendation I am all ears, thanks! :rock:

Actually, I'd recommend you just get the Mobius and call it a day.
And don't forget Rotary / Vibe, so now your up to 4 pedals.
Mobius ftw!

I sold almost all my modulation pedals and got a Mobius and I'm glad I did. It also has a lot of other stuff like tremolo, rotary, envelope filter, swell among others. Plus there are different types of chorus/flanger/etc. One of my favorite chorus tones out of it is the ADA flanger (I forget what they call it, black box or silver box or something). Message in a Bottle and old Pat Travers type chorus tones right there. I found the internal buffer to be a slight tone suck so I leave it off. I only compared it to the buffer in a Koko Boost and preferred the Koko buffer. It's pricey but so are 3-4 separate pedals. I actually had money left over.

Whirlwind Phaser -- if you're after the classic 1974 MXR sound -- is a great option, and much more reliable and affordable. Made by the same guy who made the original too. :thumbsup:

So many options out there. I have dedicated pedals but it seems so much more convenient to get an H9 or something that has it all.

For a cheap Chorus the TC Corona is pretty damn cool IMO. Im not a Chorus expert but it sounds great to me. Can do very subtle or over the top.

Also the Alter Ego X4 is a great unit IMO. It actually has a Chorus patch along with tons of delay options and a looper.

I'm sure there are always better units out there but unless you are going for something very specific I would say shop deals, save money and get something that works.

I second the Whirlwind Phaser. Meistersinger Chorus is great, flanger I primarily use just for old VH so have the EVH flanger and it works fine.

fusedbrain":1k4xy0hu said:
Actually, I'd recommend you just get the Mobius and call it a day.
And don't forget Rotary / Vibe, so now your up to 4 pedals.
Mobius ftw!

A buddy just picked up one... he was talking thick manuals and lots of reading but also said it sounds bad ass. I'm gonna pick his brain on it once he gets use to it, so I guess I probably shouldn't write it off just yet.

SpiderWars":1k4xy0hu said:
I sold almost all my modulation pedals and got a Mobius and I'm glad I did. It also has a lot of other stuff like tremolo, rotary, envelope filter, swell among others. Plus there are different types of chorus/flanger/etc. One of my favorite chorus tones out of it is the ADA flanger (I forget what they call it, black box or silver box or something). Message in a Bottle and old Pat Travers type chorus tones right there. I found the internal buffer to be a slight tone suck so I leave it off. I only compared it to the buffer in a Koko Boost and preferred the Koko buffer. It's pricey but so are 3-4 separate pedals. I actually had money left over.

Thanks, I guess I should figure out if my power brick can handle a Mobius, I think I read something about their power requirements are not the standard 9v.

Bronco":1k4xy0hu said:
Whirlwind Phaser -- if you're after the classic 1974 MXR sound -- is a great option, and much more reliable and affordable. Made by the same guy who made the original too. :thumbsup:

Gonna google it now, thanks!

maddnotez":1k4xy0hu said:
So many options out there. I have dedicated pedals but it seems so much more convenient to get an H9 or something that has it all.

For a cheap Chorus the TC Corona is pretty damn cool IMO. Im not a Chorus expert but it sounds great to me. Can do very subtle or over the top.

Also the Alter Ego X4 is a great unit IMO. It actually has a Chorus patch along with tons of delay options and a looper.

I'm sure there are always better units out there but unless you are going for something very specific I would say shop deals, save money and get something that works.

Thanks gonna google the X4 now!

overthemountain":1k4xy0hu said:
I second the Whirlwind Phaser. Meistersinger Chorus is great, flanger I primarily use just for old VH so have the EVH flanger and it works fine.

Thanks gonna check'em out and old VH is key! :rock:

Les Zombie":1k4xy0hu said:
Chase bliss wombtone phaser, lots of cool sounds in this pedal, i have one and love it.

Another for the list to google! Thanks

Crunchtime":1k4xy0hu said:
Zakk Wylde chorus and phaser sound good to me.

Gonna go check those out, I think a local shop here has those in stock. Thank you!

Thanks guys, I've got some thinking and testing to do!

For a very cool multi pedal, also check out the Nebulus from Empress.
Chorus, Vibe, Trem, Flanger and programmable presets.
It's a great pedal. I haven't tried a Mobius, however the Nebulus is pretty sweet.

I do have a Corona chorus, nice pedal and tone prints are kinda cool.
For Phaser the obvious choice is MXR script 90. Yet I also have a Mr.Black Gilamondo...kind of a phaser with a twist.

Good luck

Chorus:
The big 4: Ibanez CS9, Boss DC-2, Boss CE-2, TC SCF

Phase:
74 hand wired custom shop vintage Phase 90....."the one" if not the original IMO. Sounds damn perfect!

Flanger:
I like the MXR M-117, have a vintage ac power cord one...it's the sound we're all accustomed to for "that" sound

All depends on how much you're looking to spend. Do you want pedals you'll NEVER EVER have to replace? If so... My votes are (and I've owned all of them:)

Best flanger: FoxRox TZF 2.
Best phasers: (single knob) Skreddy Little Miss Sunshine (multi knob) Toneczar Halophaze
Best Chorus: Rocketride (BJFE) Asteroid, MXR ZW Chorus, Analogman Chorus (w/ deep switch)

If you're looking for budget: The MXR stuff is hard to beat. All the EVH stuff too.

I use the handwired Phase 90. Absolutely classic.
Ibanez FL-9. I love that thing.
Boss CH-1. Subtle. Perfect for gains and cleans.

Lots of great stuff out there....here's a few. No best IMO. Just what you like. Here's a list of a few I currently own, have owned or checked out through the years. All are good.

Chorus - TC Corona or the original aka TC Electronic Stereo Chorus + Pitch Modulator & Flanger, MXR Chorus, Ibanez CS-9, Boss CE-2, Boss CE-5, Analog Man, and many others as I've tried a ton of chorus pedals through the years from boutique to over the counter. My three favs I own at the moment are VFE Choral Reef (sadly no longer made), Ibanez SC-10 (great little pedal, sounds amazing split stereo, so far one sweet spot mono but it's really nice sounding) and a Digitech Chorus Factory which surprisingly is the one I'm using on my board right now.

Flanger - Ibanez FL-9...old, good and unique (I believe the FL301, FL-9 and SF10 are all the same but different housing), Ibanez Paul Gilbert, Boss BF-2, MXR Micro, ADA, EH Mistress...so many boutique one's as well. I own 4 currently - MXR Micro, MXR EVH, ADA Big Box Reissue and the new ADA PBF. The EVH is on my board. Putting the ADA PBF through the paces right now.

Phase - I tend to stick with MXR when it comes to Phasers however I own the Maxon PT999 (really nice and musical), Retro-Sonic Phaser, MXR 90 (stock), MXR EVH, MXR Script 90 and the Whirlwind
Orange Box. I run two Phasers on my board. One for the EVH solo thang and one for more of a rotovibe feel. Currently I have the MXR EVH and the Stock 90 on my board. I keep going back and forth on the Orange Box and EVH for the roto thang. I like the Stock 90 because it cuts a little more for solo's.

One other thing, I've just de-racked all my pedals so space was always an issue, not so much now as I finalize my board.

Check out the Source Audio One Series pedals. Serious value for dollar and seriously some of the most versatile pedals I have ever owned. The Chorus, Flanger and Phaser can each stop 6 presets and use sounds between each meaning if you buy the Chorus, you can load Phaser or Flager sounds and store them to press. Likewise, if you buy the Phaser you can store chorus settings on it.

At $149 they are "no brainers" IMHO. They also have dual in/out so you can run stereo OR set one set of inputs to be in your loop and the other up front (yes, the Mobius does this as well.). This way if you want chorus in the loop but Univibe up front using the same pedal, you can.

You know, I've never played a Small Stone Phaser before, but based on the model of it in my Kemper, I'm really impressed.

MXR stuff is pretty solid for those you mentioned
Digitech has a Chorus/Flanger called the Nautica that's good too

Back