Fractal FX8

Rdodson

Have any of you had experience with this unit, especially in a 4CM situation?

Would love your thoughts compared to using a medium-sized pedalboard 4CM. I currently run a Fullton 70, Dover Drive, Rockett Archer and TCE Tuner in front (sometimes a Belle Epoch as well, but sometimes that's in the loop) and an El Cap, Talisman, TCE chorus and volume pedal in the loop. Then I have a 44Mag pedal for when I'm running slave out instead of the loop.

Tempted...

I have one that I use 4CM with my Wizards. Sounds great with no real noticeable tone suck. Also works to change the channel and turn the loop on an off - to make it easy to completely bypass. Great piece of gear. Easy to create patches with the software application too. I haven't tried to tweak it without the computer so I'm not sure how easy/difficult that is to deal with.

I have one and use the 4CM

Using the FX Edit software on the computer is highly recommended. You can use the interface on the unit, but it is so much easier connecting the FX 8 to the computer to configure it.

I've been using Strymon for about a year now, and always figured the Axe FX came in 2nd place compared to Strymon stuff. However, I finally got to play with one a couple of times and I actually like it better. The Strymon stuff is good, but not so great at getting more subtle effects. I cannot get a subtle flange or phaser out of my Mobius, nor can I ever seem to get just the right subtlety in delay. They sound great if you want stronger effects though.

The Axe FX are very high quality and more flexible. The TC Electronic G System and all the others don't really stack up as well. It has a cool layout, but it is kind of complex to use if you want to get fancy. Then again, I find the Strymon stuff a bit complicated because I'm not into crafting wacky sounds or anything. I'd trade my Strymon stuff for an Axe FX to be honest.

FX8 is awesome! Except for the onboard editing- that sucks. Use the software and then it's lights out for your traditional pedalboard.

Cliff put a lot of work into what components he uses in the Fx8 to make sure there is not a tone suck problem. And it's made for 4CM.

As far as effects they are top notch and on the cleaner side. Tone wise think newer eventide and TC electronic

I use an AXE-FX XL and I building virtual effects racks right now and it's very easy to program.

I actually just got my fx8 last week Thursday. I didn't use it at gigs last weekend because I didn't have time to get to know the unit. I agree that it's easier to use with the computer editor but if you've ever had any old processors like digitech etc you can figure it out pretty well. I have been all through the unit and I can honestly say my only regret is not buying it sooner. I can't hear any tone suck with my amps and I could always hear tone suck from my gcx and a small amount with my old rivera. The fx8 is completely kick ass. I will use it live for the first time on Friday but so far at home it blows me away. Amazing effects and seamless switching. Really a great unit and I recommend it greatly. I think it's good to be familiar with the onboard interface in case you need to tweak in a live setting. I will have to tweak a bit when I get it to volume but after spending a few hours with it, you can get around and set it however you like.

I'm thinking FX8 using 4CM => BE100 or SLO, two expression pedals - 1 for volume/1 for wah or preset-dependent expression.

Would that work?

Rdodson":9jvk50m0 said:
I'm thinking FX8 using 4CM => BE100 or SLO, two expression pedals - 1 for volume/1 for wah or preset-dependent expression.

Would that work?

That's how I'm using it. I also think it plays well with my SLO's loop. I mainly play the SLO or a Splawn and it works great with both. Really great unit. I got Fractal's own ev1 expression pedals as well. I bought the humbuster cables but so far haven't used them.

Quite a few guys have ditched their pedals, pedal boards and such and opted for the FX-8. It makes a lot of sense. It has everything you need and sounds top notch.

I'm using the AX8 in 4CM with a Mesa Mark IV, works great. No noise or tone suck from what I can tell. I ditched all my pedals and was glad to be done with that big rats nest of cables, power cords, power supply's, etc.

I have been using the fx8 since the first version came out (I now have the mark II). Worked great with my Mesa mark Iv and Recto multiwatt which are now gone and replaced with a Mesa JP-2C. (I have not really had the chance to put it through its paces with the EVH 5150 iii I have)

Simple and easy to use, sounds great and 1 button can do all the channel and fx switching at the same time. It works great for my band since we use a lot of specific time based delays and effects.

Gives me the versatility of a rack but much smaller and lighter.

I have used the fx8 with no problems 4 cable methods with the following amps.
Mesa JP-2C
Mesa Recto multiwatt
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Mark V 25
Bogner Uberschall
Peters Hydra/halo
Friedman Runt 50
EVH 5150 III 50w
Diezel Einstein

And I just sent my pedals to my tech to do a board - ugh.

What started all this for me was when I boxed that stuff up (I have had an unused Pedaltrain & road case for years) I was going crazy so I hooked up my old X3Live to my BE100. I thought that #1 it was so much easier to hook up than my rats nest and #2 whoa I have gotten spoiled because the d/a converters in the X3 really suck compared to the all-analog tone of my pedal rig. I mean, I can hear the X3 struggling to keep up with the complexity of the gain structure - it sounds great with the clean channel. But I did a quick search and have gone down the FX8 rabbit hole ever since. My board is ready, and I'm sure it sounds amazing, but man the FX8 would be SO easy. I had no idea it could change my channels as well (and with an amazing EQ give me what I want out of my BE & SLO clean channels). Ugh.

Oh yeah. Fave thing I've bought in years. Havent really used my pedalboard since buying Mark 1 for my birthday. Midi as well which I am using to switch channels and modes on my JVM. Everything you'll need plus more. Highly recommend.

Currently not using one, The idea is there.

I've started to come around to emulation gear mainly on the Strymon and TC electronics end. however its all modulation and time based stuff that has managed to grab my fancy.

I just can't see me ditching my analog boosts out front. (haven't had the chance to try the Strymon sunset yet.) wish there was something like the AX8
with ONLY the eDFX with an additional switching system for 8 other pedals.

now THAT is something i'd be all over.

I had a lot of fun with mine today :)

18620237_10159417236345377_1232097716306600161_n.jpg

Back