Mark IIC+ vs IIC++ vs JP-2C video review.

Which is your favorite?

• IIC+

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • IIC++

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • JP-2C

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
Based only on the video, I went with the JP2C, but it was real close with the IIC++. The IIC+ was kind of meh, but it could be that it's better at other kinds of riffing or something. I wouldn't have used active pickups for a demo or comparison because they have a very high output and have their own internal preamps which give them a certain sound. I'd like to hear it with some passive pickups so I could get a better idea of how it would sound with my guitars. Overall though, I haven't heard a JP2C sound bad yet. It must record very well, so it seems like one hell of an amp.

GJgo":28oq40kh said:
Matt seems like the kind of guy who has a strong background in production & knows how to make amps sound really good.

I used to watch Ola Englund amp reviews, but he made all the amps sound almost the same.
The way he put them into a mix, and the production techniques he used.

He eventually had to make a video addressing it, because people kept calling him out on it.

:D

SavageRiffer":2nvrugmf said:
Based only on the video, I went with the JP2C, but it was real close with the IIC++. The IIC+ was kind of meh, but it could be that it's better at other kinds of riffing or something. I wouldn't have used active pickups for a demo or comparison because they have a very high output and have their own internal preamps which give them a certain sound. I'd like to hear it with some passive pickups so I could get a better idea of how it would sound with my guitars. Overall though, I haven't heard a JP2C sound bad yet. It must record very well, so it seems like one hell of an amp.

Yeah just recently picked up a guitar with passives (ESP Horizon) and so far I've only done one tonal comparo with it and the JP-2C, if you want to check it out. I'd like to record more for that reason. That said, I did just have Mike turn the HRG into a ++ (Because M0Ar!!) but it sounds real sweet with the Horizon.

SavageRiffer":ygng5snd said:
In person, the 2C+ has a 3D quality that surrounds you when you play it, and has this incredible touch sensitive feel that no amp can duplicate.
The JP2C, a great amp in its own right, falls short of the real thing for those reasons IMO.

Racerxrated":9nxw0r9u said:
SavageRiffer":9nxw0r9u said:
In person, the 2C+ has a 3D quality that surrounds you when you play it, and has this incredible touch sensitive feel that no amp can duplicate.
The JP2C, a great amp in its own right, falls short of the real thing for those reasons IMO.

A statement like that can cause unnecessary GAS in some people.

SavageRiffer":38ktd9ts said:
Racerxrated":38ktd9ts said:
SavageRiffer":38ktd9ts said:

A statement like that can cause unnecessary GAS in some people.
:LOL: :LOL:
I know they are spendy and rare. But, if you are a fan of the Mark tone you owe it to yourself to spend the cash and grab one if you get a chance. I found the C+ to be everything fans say it is.

I agree w/ RacerX. The sound is there (other than the extra JP compression), but the FEEL is just not the same. Great but not the same. Keep in mind this is us gear whores being nit-picky.

So a couple weeks back I played a Mark IVa for the first time & it blew me away. The aggression of my old IIIs but w/o the harshness, and really solid cleans. So, I just bought one. :D To me, playing a IIB / IIC / IIC+ / IIC++ / JP-2C the attack has a bounce to it. Playing a III / IV (& I haven't played a V but I hear this) the attack is IMMEDIATE. Once again you can coax similar tones out of them, but a big differentiator is the FEEL. I think a guy would be well served to have one of the various IIs, one of a III / IV / maybe V, and he'd be covered in terms of the two types of Mark feel.

Kirk from Metallica":1ug5a6sm said:
The JP2C sounds great, but I've heard and played IIC+'s for so long now that I can't argue with them. My vote is the IIC+
Hey Kirk, is yours a IIC+ or a IIC++? Hundred watt or Simul-class? I thought I read once that yours was used more when Justice was recorded and that's still one of my favorite tones ever, so I've always been curious.

Racerxrated":2wmdlkzo said:
SavageRiffer":2wmdlkzo said:

I agree. I never believed the 2C+ hype until I got one. Then once I got the ++ mod, I was floored. Granted, I was able to play 3-4 other 2C++ mods before jumping in.

Personally, my 2C++ amp is everything I want it to be and more. I could be perfectly happy owning it and a Cameron CCV and never need another amp.

I liked the C++ best in the clips and thought the other 2 sounded too close to care one way or the other.

I finally played the JP-2C today at a guitar store. I liked it a lot more than the Mark V I had. Cool amp but took some time to figure out how to get things dialed in how I like it. I'm not sure I'd pay the new price for one, but would be interested as the used price starts to come down.

Back