NAD: KSR ARES

MetalHeadMike

Picked up this KSR Ares on an impulse buy, and I'm glad I did cuase its one mean little bastard. This little amp has a humongous set of balls and packs a wicked punch!

DSC03628_zpstkyq6mns.jpg

DSC03630_zpsblmxclqe.jpg

Bought it here from Hardvalve and it was a great transaction through and through! Great seller :thumbsup: He packed this thing well enough that it could have survived a drop from a 5 story rooftop; I've never seen an amp, or any piece of gear period, packed this good :thumbsup:

I've had it a few weeks now but was out of town for most of that time, so only have about 4-5 days playtime on it, but so far I'm very impressed. Sounds and feels awesome to play on, and the build quality of this amp is simply amazing!

Can't decide if I like the blue or the red channel better :confused: They're both that good and each is capable of some wicked sounding tones, and there is so many little tweaks on tone and feel available via the fat, voice and bright switches. It came loaded with JJ 6L6s which sound great, but I'm gonna try it with 6550s and KT77s in the near future here.

Here's some random bullshit chugging just to give an idea of the tone. Think it was Blue CH up until 1:20 then I switched to the red Ch. or vise versa. Can't remember what switches were flipped when :aww:

https://soundcloud.com/user-549632051/z ... av/s-5am9o

Congrats!

I was wondering what happened to this one. What more well known amp does it most remind you of? Tone/feel/attack? I keep hearing they are similar to a more refined, tweaked, modified Mesa Recto? Thoughts?

Enjoy it! Looks very cool. Clip sounds super tight and mean.

:rock:

A great amp, I only sold it because I want a 100 watt KSR. Hopefully soon.....

Great playing, sounds much better than my wankery.

Congrats brother! I'm so glad you got this amp and like it! KSR tone is stellar! One of my favs. :rock:

Wizard of Ozz":1z1b2xde said:
Congrats!

I was wondering what happened to this one. What more well known amp does it most remind you of? Tone/feel/attack? I keep hearing they are similar to a more refined, tweaked, modified Mesa Recto? Thoughts?

Thanks man!

Have yet to play a Recto, so can't comment there. Of the amps I've owned/played on significantly, Id have to say it reminds me a lot of the Herbert in terms of feel, tone and attack honestly.

Doesn't have the upper mid kerang, but for some reason it also reminds me a little bit of the things I liked about 5150 III I owned.

Its a unique animal of its own for sure (especially the mids; they rip!), but to compare against what I've played I'd say it sounds/feels like a blend of a Herbert and the good attributes of the 5150 III.

It can achieve a very very saturated type of gain and very articulate, or you can back the gain off and get that really tight and somewhat dryer gain thing. The various switches make considerable differences in the attack of the low end, the low mids, and the upper mids. Awesome design really!

The clip was the amp clean boosted with a TS9. Without it the amp is still pretty tight, but you know me Wizard, I clean boost damn near everything :LOL: :LOL:

rottingcorpse":199ggjcn said:
Congrats! Kyle's amps are fantastic. I still owe gsxrbusa a handy for talking me into one.

He makes a nice amp indeed :thumbsup: Any amps I can talk you into here to get in on the handy action too? Just don't tell my wife ;)

MetalHeadMike":2z6me2qc said:
Wizard of Ozz":2z6me2qc said:
Congrats!

Thanks man!

Have yet to play a Recto, so can't comment there. Of the amps I've owned/played on significantly, Id have to say it reminds me a lot of the Herbert in terms of feel, tone and attack honestly.

Doesn't have the upper mid kerang, but for some reason it also reminds me a little bit of the things I liked about 5150 III I owned.

Its a unique animal of its own for sure (especially the mids; they rip!), but to compare against what I've played I'd say it sounds/feels like a blend of a Herbert and the good attributes of the 5150 III.

It can achieve a very very saturated type of gain and very articulate, or you can back the gain off and get that really tight and somewhat dryer gain thing. The various switches make considerable differences in the attack of the low end, the low mids, and the upper mids. Awesome design really!

The clip was the amp clean boosted with a TS9. Without it the amp is still pretty tight, but you know me Wizard, I clean boost damn near everything :LOL: :LOL:

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. That is more or less what I've been hearing from other owners. They seem to be the sort of amp I'd dig. Saturated and tight is right up my alley. They sound great with a boost on the clips I've heard so far. Good stuff!

congrats, KSR's are incredible. I love my Artemis II, hit it with the Airis Savage Drive and it's pure absolute insanity...

I demo'ed the original Colossus for a week and can't believe it took me this long to get my own, but I had Kyle make me one right after NAMM show. Now that I have my own Colossus 100-H with the Wood mod I'm going to sell of all my other amps that aren't collectible or "niche." Will probably replace all my rack stuff with an Artemis.

KSR amps FTW!!

:rock: I've always wanted to get one of these and you basically sold me! Sounds nice and tight! What speakers did you run this with?

MetalThrasher":1kys32ct said:
:rock: I've always wanted to get one of these and you basically sold me! Sounds nice and tight! What speakers did you run this with?

Whitebox modern 2x12 w/ G12K-100s.

I had an EVH 4x12 but it had an issue and had to go back :( The new replacement EVH is in route, and I should have it by Thursday and am anxious to hear the ARES through that cab. I'll post another clip with the amp through it when it arrives.

MetalHeadMike":qsy42nnk said:
MetalThrasher":qsy42nnk said:

I had an EVH 4x12 but it had an issue and had to go back :( The new replacement EVH is in route, and I should have it by Thursday and am anxious to hear the ARES through that cab. I'll post another clip with the amp through it when it arrives.

I've only tried mine with V30s and G12M-25s and it sounds great through either. I've tried my Gemini through G12H-75 Creambacks and I really like it. So I'd imagine the Ares would get along well with Creambacks too.

FourT6and2":1y566zuy said:
MetalHeadMike":1y566zuy said:
MetalThrasher":1y566zuy said:

I've only tried mine with V30s and G12M-25s and it sounds great through either. I've tried my Gemini through G12H-75 Creambacks and I really like it. So I'd imagine the Ares would get along well with Creambacks too.

I'll find out next week how it sounds through the Heritage Greenbacks :thumbsup:

Sounds great through the G12K-100s, but like everything I've played through those speakers so far, a tad stiff!

Back