iPhone 7 interface. Have they improved? Which one?

nevusofota

We have multiple vacations planned for this summer and I'm looking to be able to practice while away with only having to take a guitar along. I really want be able to just plug into my iPhone and get great tone. Years ago (iPhone 5 days) I had a Line 6 interface and also the first generation iRig interface going through Bias and Amplitude. I wasn't impressed with the tone and I couldn't get past the lag. Used it for a day and haven't touched it again since. I'm looking to give it another try. Is the iRig HD2 ($99) the way to go or is there something better?

TIA

nevusofota":3avhk4rr said:
We have multiple vacations planned for this summer and I'm looking to be able to practice while away with only having to take a guitar along. I really want be able to just plug into my iPhone and get great tone. Years ago (iPhone 5 days) I had a Line 6 interface and also the first generation iRig interface going through Bias and Amplitude. I wasn't impressed with the tone and I couldn't get past the lag. Used it for a day and haven't touched it again since. I'm looking to give it another try. Is the iRig HD2 ($99) the way to go or is there something better?

TIA

Been seeing talk about the "lag" alot lately.

Are you using airplane mode? Are you setting Bias to low latency in the settings?

I had an Apogee Jam and Current have a $3 Chinse Irig knockoff and have no issues whatsoever.

I use an apogee One and don't notice any latency. The One is kinda bulky for travel; I assume the Jam works just as well.

maddnotez":60oh48sy said:
nevusofota":60oh48sy said:

TIA

Been seeing talk about the "lag" alot lately.

Are you using airplane mode? Are you setting Bias to low latency in the settings?

I had an Apogee Jam and Current have a $3 Chinse Irig knockoff and have no issues whatsoever.
Tried all of that back then and still didn't like the tone and the latency (though minor, even a little is a deal killer for me).

nevusofota":4xksq9or said:
Inearthed":4xksq9or said:
I just did a thread about this, too! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=189803

I ordered an iRig HD2, should arrive Saturday, I have an iPhone 7 as well, so I'll chime in with my thoughts after I play with it for a bit.
So what's your take?

I haven't played with all the different apps yet, starting with Jamup because I've been really busy lately and you can get started immediately, but the latency was horrible initially - to the point of where I was considering just returning the unit on the spot. I activated ultra low latency mode and the latency is better but still a little noticeable to me, I'm not sure if I'm ultra sensitive to it or what but I cannot look at the fretboard while playing or play close attention to my picking hand otherwise something just seems off to me. If you're just doing noodling or rock chords it isn't bad but the moment I try to play anything with fast picking I just have this weird sensation that I'm always "off."

Tried also flipping on airplane mode, with ultra low latency on and I didn't notice much of a difference, will try tinkering a bit more and also giving Amplitube a try as well (didn't start with that because my bandmate said the tones weren't as good)

Inearthed":1r264wo5 said:
nevusofota":1r264wo5 said:
Inearthed":1r264wo5 said:
I just did a thread about this, too! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=189803

I ordered an iRig HD2, should arrive Saturday, I have an iPhone 7 as well, so I'll chime in with my thoughts after I play with it for a bit.
So what's your take?

I haven't played with all the different apps yet, starting with Jamup because I've been really busy lately and you can get started immediately, but the latency was horrible initially - to the point of where I was considering just returning the unit on the spot. I activated ultra low latency mode and the latency is better but still a little noticeable to me, I'm not sure if I'm ultra sensitive to it or what but I cannot look at the fretboard while playing or play close attention to my picking hand otherwise something just seems off to me. If you're just doing noodling or rock chords it isn't bad but the moment I try to play anything with fast picking I just have this weird sensation that I'm always "off."

Tried also flipping on airplane mode, with ultra low latency on and I didn't notice much of a difference, will try tinkering a bit more and also giving Amplitube a try as well (didn't start with that because my bandmate said the tones weren't as good)
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the update.

The Vox Amplugs are good for their price and get the job done - tones aren't the best but they work plus you can aux in your MP3 player and jam to it

Back