Another Reverb Prick - UPDATE: HERE'S HIS FRIVOLOUS CLAIM!

What I don't understand about Reverb's policies is that if you have an "AS IS" policy with no refunds, how is this guy able to send it back?

This is very disturbing from a seller's perspective as it seems as if anyone can buy your gear, give it a test run and return it if they don't like it because the gear was "not as described". What a bunch of shit that is

scary groove":x37de9vu said:
What I don't understand about Reverb's policies is that if you have an "AS IS" policy with no refunds, how is this guy able to send it back?

This is very disturbing from a seller's perspective as it seems as if anyone can buy your gear, give it a test run and return it if they don't like it because the gear was "not as described". What a bunch of shit that is

Because he's doing it through Paypal. At the moment, Paypal is the villain. Hopefully Paypal will do what is right and deny him a refund. They've already frozen my account and set me at a -$2000 balance.

As a Reverb seller myself, I will only accept Reverb Direct Checkout. Per Reverb:

For those offering Direct Checkout, Reverb processes all Direct Checkout Payments and therefore assumes all of the fraud risk. For items paid for through PayPal, sellers are protected by PayPal's Seller Protection and Reverb customer service staff will aid in providing details during PayPal's resolution process.

Accepting RDC only, I eliminate the PayPal variable and have a better chance at proving I'm in the right, and the terms of my store (re: "as-is" sales) a better chance of being considered in any arbitration process.

It pays to dive into the details of the various payment terms Reverb offers.

Un-fucking-believeable. Pieces of shit like that need a fucking baseball bat upside their fucking head :gethim: Gets me annoyed as hell just reading this and makes me not to buy or sell anymore. Such useless Aholes out there.

When this is all over, you need to post this guy's name everywhere he may try to do business, especially here (again) and on TGP. I'd even put his name on FB and in any future eBay or Reverb listing. Get his name some SEO, so he comes to the top of a Google search. It will take years to go away and it will hurt him eventually. It ain't slander if it's true.

The crazy thing is I think Paypal already gave him a refund before deciding the case because they're already demanding that I resolve my negative balance. If he gets a refund before returning the item, then he can basically trash it and piss on it and there will be nothing I can do at that point.

SavageRiffer":1hcqkrf5 said:
The crazy thing is I think Paypal already gave him a refund before deciding the case because they're already demanding that I resolve my negative balance. If he gets a refund before returning the item, then he can basically trash it and piss on it and there will be nothing I can do at that point.

Happened to me with a head that FedEx trashed. Buyer opened a return request with eBay and PayPal before even contacting me about it and PayPal yanked $2200 from my checking account before I even knew what had happened. I totally made out in the end, but only because FedEx way overpaid me for the damages, refunded my shipping fees, shipped the amp back to me for free and then eBay and PayPal refunded my fees too. Again, total dumb luck. PayPal is the devil, which is why I feel zero guilt in using the friends and family option when buying and selling gear from/to people I trust. Eff PP.

SavageRiffer":3d27sbd7 said:
There is something you can do if he does that, as I stated earlier. At this point he doesn't have his money back, and you are at a neg balance with PayPal. If and when you get your amp back he will be paid by pp. You will continue to have a neg balance until you sell the amp again and reimburse pp or just stick your own funds in there. Or, if the amp comes back damaged you can wrestle with that new issue with pp and ups or whomever he shipped with. Or, just say fuck it and go to your bank and stop PayPal's access to your bank account, and call your credit cards and do the same. You won't be able to use pp but you have your amp and the funds for your trouble. Maybe that's not the most ethical thing for you to do but it is an option. I did this, but my amp never showed back up to me and while ups/PayPal/eBay fucked with me I said fuck you to all 3 and shut my account down and blocked access to my bank. Worked for me. Have no clue where my amp went but I kept my money for them losing/stealing it.

Racerxrated":28nypphl said:
SavageRiffer":28nypphl said:
There is something you can do if he does that, as I stated earlier. At this point he doesn't have his money back, and you are at a neg balance with PayPal. If and when you get your amp back he will be paid by pp. You will continue to have a neg balance until you sell the amp again and reimburse pp or just stick your own funds in there. Or, if the amp comes back damaged you can wrestle with that new issue with pp and ups or whomever he shipped with. Or, just say fuck it and go to your bank and stop PayPal's access to your bank account, and call your credit cards and do the same. You won't be able to use pp but you have your amp and the funds for your trouble. Maybe that's not the most ethical thing for you to do but it is an option. I did this, but my amp never showed back up to me and while ups/PayPal/eBay fucked with me I said fuck you to all 3 and shut my account down and blocked access to my bank. Worked for me. Have no clue where my amp went but I kept my money for them losing/stealing it.

Yeah because of the fraudulent nature of the buyer, I'm going to block Paypal from my bank tomorrow. I just don't trust Paypal to handle the process right. They have a bunch of illiterate workers there making the decisions.

danyeo":10g3ajhq said:
Un-fucking-believeable. Pieces of shit like that need a fucking baseball bat upside their fucking head :gethim: Gets me annoyed as hell just reading this and makes me not to buy or sell anymore. Such useless Aholes out there.

Must be a Jersey thing because all I kept thinking about while reading this thread was taking a bat to his hands so he can never play again.

Sheesh. I feel like I must be the only buyer to have lost a PayPal claim (and I still can't believe I lost the claim: I was sold an item that didn't work for its stated purpose and somehow got stuck paying for it). Sorry man.

scary groove":xv56ctd4 said:

Even items sold 'as is' have to be functional and meet the description given.

This seems strange because I shipped an amp that basically melted a part of the circuit board as soon as he turned it on. Resolution went through Reverb. Reverb told me to issue a conditional refund which meant that I had to have the amp back in my possession before the refund would go through. Everything happened through Reverb but maybe that's because my buyer didn't go to Paypal, it was all through Reverb.

SavageRiffer":25tly4m6 said:

Do you know if he actually got a refund?

It looks like you've got good documentation about the condition when you shipped it, so I can't imagine what kind of genuine claim he can raise.

ed_Sped2":1ltcnoc6 said:
SavageRiffer":1ltcnoc6 said:

Do you know if he actually got a refund?

It looks like you've got good documentation about the condition when you shipped it, so I can't imagine what kind of genuine claim he can raise.

As far as I know, outside of eBay, the item has to be "significantly different than described." This may be my only hope because he said it was all in good order, did not say it didn't work properly, just said it wasn't as loud as he thinks a 50w amp should be. Whether the Paypal people making the judgement will understand that or not is left to be seen. The only other saving grace might be that my shop policy says "no returns" on new or used merchandise.

I love how people on Reverb refer to themselves as a "shop" or "our policy is.." like it's something other than some dude trying to sell his gear. :LOL: :LOL:

In this case, I'd close my bank account and open another one immediately. Your bank can probably do it over the phone. This will block any paypal access to your account. Paypal has already likely processed a draw on your bank, so call your bank immediately. I'd also close my credit cards that were linked to paypal. Paypal will likely report you to a credit rating agency, you could dispute that, but it'll be a PITA to deal with. Better than losing $2k

Why not just avoid Paypal, Reverb and the like? Have him ship it back, refund the money and call him an asshole? This seems like a lot of hassle to put up with. You're out the money you paid to ship it to him, he's out the money to ship it back to you.

At the end of the day, I'd hope that with avoiding getting other companies involved, it's more likely I'd get the amp back undamaged.

Back