Nice Rack Canada | I N T Ξ R V Λ L S | Tour Pedalboard

Nice Rack Canada

Intervals_Touring_Pedalboard_System_02.jpg

Fresh off the Nice Rack Canada workbenches comes a tour size pedalboard system for guitarist Aaron Marshall of I N T Ξ R V Λ L S.

The new I N T Ξ R V Λ L S album is nearly done, tour dates & rehearsals are booked so it's time to get the gear ready for a global excursion of great tone & virtuoso playing.

Picking up where we left off with Aaron's writing rig, we wanted to implement the very best tools for Aaron to perform his new compositions in a more compact footprint that would lend itself well to touring logistics.

To do so we started at the core of the system, the switcher. We repeated our choice with the standard setting RJM Music MasterMind PBC to handle audio switching and MIDI control. Once you work with an RJM Music controller, it's hard to imagine working with anything but RJM Music.

Aaron spent countless hours experimenting with various Compressors + Overdrive + Amp Voicing combinations until he finally settled on this lean & mean set of Dynamic & Harmonic tone shaping tools that is comprised of a DigiTech FreqOut, Suhr Koji Compressor, Bogner Harlow Compressor / Boost, Horizon Devices Precision Drive, KHDK Ghoul Screamer, Empress Para Eq & ISP Decimator.

Modulation colours & Time dimensions in the system are provided by a Jim Dunlop EchoPlex Delay, a Strymon Mobius in Pre/Post configuration as part of the system's "4CM" signal routing, a Strymon TimeLine & a Strymon BigSky.

Further control of the system is provided by a Treble Bleed modified Boss FV-30 volume pedal, and a pair of PBC External Switches, with one switch programmed Globally as a Tap Tempo and the 2nd Switch on a "Per Preset" basis.

Intervals_Touring_Pedalboard_System_01.jpg

The MasterMind PBC's 10 loops are all in use and the signal flow demanded a total of 12 loops. With this mind Nice Rack Canada built up 2x custom single effects loop switchers that are remote controlled by the PBC's Function Switches that allow the Nice Rack Canada loops to be under the system's MIDI Control on a per preset basis.

The Nice Rack Canada system interface contains all sorts of sonic secret sauce to fully integrate the rig's components in the manner that the client desired. Among the ingredients are a Spillover Mixer for the EchoPlex with a switchable Phase Inverter for the wet signal.

We also included a tunable Input Buffer with output splits to the system, a Dry Re-Amping DI and a TC Electronic PolyTune 2 Blacklight. Additionally there are Switchable Isolation Transformers for each output and a 4CM to Series mode switching circuit to allow the system's "Post Effects" to be routed in series to an amp that may not have an effects loop.

In keeping with the criteria of minimum possible weight & footprint, we used the Strymon Zuma + 2x Ojai power supplies. The new SquarePlug SP400 plug allows us have an overall smaller system footprint as well, leading to the lowest possible weight for maximum derived value of the system in the touring realm.

No matter where you intend to use your rig in the studio, on the road or at home, Nice Rack Canada can build the system of your dreams to the highest possible standard that will give you years of top quality tone.

Intervals_Touring_Pedalboard_System_03.jpg

Nice Rack Canada
Tonesmithing Services | Pedalboard & Rack Systems for Guitar, Bass & Keys | Engineered Solutions for Musicians.
WEB: http://www.NiceRackCanada.com
EMAIL: info@NiceRackCanada.com

That is gorgeous...looks heavy! What is the weight on that, like 50lbs.+?

*edit: I also love the addition of the gooseneck lamps.

garey77":1t3namcv said:
That is gorgeous...looks heavy! What is the weight on that, like 50lbs.+?

*edit: I also love the addition of the gooseneck lamps.

The board weight is 40.5 lbs. The case empty is 24 lbs. Total weight is 64.5. In other words, it flies as checked luggage with an Elite status exception.

jsp":2v2ngex1 said:
Just scrolled through the gallery on the website, some pretty amazing stuff.

Thanks!

We build everything as if we were building it for our own use. We try to pour as much passion & energy as possible into every rig we build.

Dave Rocks":ruj7ooqw said:
Very, very nice! But wow - who needs that many effects? :)

Thanks for the kind words about our efforts.

I don't think that there is an excessive amount of processing in this system. There are a total of 13 Devices that can "alter" or "effect" the signal.

1. - DigiTech FreqOut
A feedback sustainer used very sparingly to push a sustained note to "take off" into harmonically correct feedback.

2. - Suhr Koji Compressor.
3. - Bogner Harlow Compressor / Boost.
Depending on the pick up selection and amp channel choice, we found that in some instances the Koji "sits" better than the Harlow, in other instances the Harlow worked better for the desired purpose.

4. Horizon Devices Precision Drive.
5. KHDK Ghoul Screamer.
A low gain & a high gain Overdrive.

6. ISP Tech Decimator
A Noise Gate to clamp high gain "hiss" when using the Ghoul Screamer

7. Strymon Mobius
We wired the rig with the Mobius in "Pre/Post" mode, on a per preset basis the signal passing trough the Mobius is either Pre-Amplifier or Post Amplifier. Usually using Phase or Vibe before the amp, Chorus post.

8. Jim Dunlop EchoPlex Delay
Used for a "1 Tap" delay in front of the amp's pre-ap stage. Much the same way EVH used a real EchoPlex in his signal chain before the amp.

9. Volume Pedal
Self explanatory.

10. Empress Effects ParaEq
Depending on the Amp Channel & OD Choice, Aaron sometimes wants to "Master" the tone before it hits the post Effects.

11. Strymon TimeLine
All the Delays you could ever want.

12. Strymon BigSky
All the Reverbs you could ever want.

From this list what would you suggest is "excessive" or unnecessary?

Have a listen to the client's playing and I think you'll find that most of the use is for Dynamic & Harmonic shaping of the signal. The "Post" effects are used very, very sparingly. Having clean, strong definition to every single note, even in higher gain settings is a cornerstone of Aaron's playing style.

rottingcorpse":pw0ylfip said:
Beautiful work.
+1 :thumbsup:

Insanely good work... Love the lamps, the cabling routing, everything - perfectly pulled together - toight loik a toiger, yessss....

I've got about 250+ pedals - I've yet to determine which ones I actually *need* and *want* and will eventually get them pro mounted. Saves buying an Axe-FX2 :LOL: :LOL:

But ya, KILLER work!! :rock:

It blows my mind to think of how massive of an undertaking that is to get everything set up so neat like that. Also really cool to see the precision drive put into a big board like this already, that pedal really is awesome.. It replaced my Maxon and Decimator.

Ventura":3nz0s3l7 said:
rottingcorpse":3nz0s3l7 said:
Beautiful work.
+1 :thumbsup:

Insanely good work... Love the lamps, the cabling routing, everything - perfectly pulled together - toight loik a toiger, yessss....

I've got about 250+ pedals - I've yet to determine which ones I actually *need* and *want* and will eventually get them pro mounted. Saves buying an Axe-FX2 :LOL: :LOL:

But ya, KILLER work!! :rock:

Thanks for the kind words about our efforts.

You *NEED* all of them, always, without question.

vultures":3vy5syfn said:
It blows my mind to think of how massive of an undertaking that is to get everything set up so neat like that. Also really cool to see the precision drive put into a big board like this already, that pedal really is awesome.. It replaced my Maxon and Decimator.

Thanks for noticing!

About 50% of the total build time is taken up by planning and "pre-build" assemblies such as the In & Out box before a single cable goes on the board. With good planning the execution can realize it's full potential.

This particular build was a first in application techniques. We had not previously used the SP400 plug for a complete build. As it sits different than most plugs there was a little adaption time. This was also the first job we did with our new heatshrink printer which has a little learning curve to it as well.

Back