Are copyright rules on FB, for actual song or riffs too?

romanianreaper

There are a ton of copyrighted songs on FB, YouTube, etc. but even so, I know they are pretty strict with any type of material for videos, etc. I know they don't want actual songs used for videos, etc. but do the same rules apply if playing to guitar backing tracks or your own versions of a song?

Just wondering how people are able to accomplish this and what the options are? Would like to have the option to post videos of playing along to backing tracks. Thanks!

I don't know how it works on Facebook but on Youtube you're fine as long as it's your performance of a song. I don't know how people get by with posting whole albums though.

GregM":22slltp5 said:
I don't know how it works on Facebook but on Youtube you're fine as long as it's your performance of a song. I don't know how people get by with posting whole albums though.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I don't get it. I tried to do a graduation video one time and flagged me for using a song. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem using their songs unless it was their song playing while someone was getting murdered. If anything, music gives them more exposure. I think it is a different story if someone is making money off of songs but they definitely need to reexamine how strict they are with this stuff.

I had a video on YouTube of my band playing a cover of a popular song and got a copyright notice.I was able to pull up the actual song posted by others with no problem.Thete semi to be no real rhyme or reason to it.

Me and my buddy posted a cover of a VH song. Put it on YouTube.
Bout 3am that night a car drove by firing multiple bullets from a Automatic Rifle into my house.
This pic was taken several hours later of the perps car.

Attachments

• striped_truck_eddie_van_halen_920.jpg
    striped_truck_eddie_van_halen_920.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 725
Mailman1971":26nmaqff said:
Me and my buddy posted a cover of a VH song. Put it on YouTube.
Bout 3am that night a car drove by firing multiple bullets from a Automatic Rifle into my house.
This pic was taken several hours later of the perps car.

LOL!

Let me guess, the driver was a hamburger singing "Everybody Wants Some"? :LOL: :LOL:

Well I guess the positive thing about getting a copyright notice is that they think you sound as good as the original artist, so that's a plus. :)

romanianreaper":bn7aghcp said:
GregM":bn7aghcp said:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I don't get it. I tried to do a graduation video one time and flagged me for using a song. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem using their songs unless it was their song playing while someone was getting murdered. If anything, music gives them more exposure. I think it is a different story if someone is making money off of songs but they definitely need to reexamine how strict they are with this stuff.

I tried posting a video of my daughters dance recital but FB wouldn't allow due to copyright BS of the song she was dancing to.

Not sure about on FB but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it on YT. I've recently uploaded a couple of guitar covers, "Centerfold" and the one currently in my sig...with Centerfold I've never been contacted, had any copyright messages applied, tags attached from the powers that be, etc, it's as if it's simply my own material - but with "TJ", boom, within the first day YT tagged it, made me aware that it "includes copyrighted content" and even listed the 4 or 5 groups/individuals that are entitled to a percentage of any profits (LOL :LOL: :LOL: ), which is of course fine and in a weird way, as mentioned, kind of a cool compliment!

I'm not concerned in any way, I just found it odd that the same policy didn't seem to apply to both tunes in the same manner...maybe romanianreaper is right, they factor in how close to the original you get and in my case at least, with Centerfold I stunk it up so bad they left me alone haha! :D

BrokenFusion":spez7hlx said:
I had a video on YouTube of my band playing a cover of a popular song and got a copyright notice.I was able to pull up the actual song posted by others with no problem.Thete semi to be no real rhyme or reason to it.

This. It refused my playing to a backing track, but allows my band's live performances. Yet, my friends post them with backing tracks and it accepts them.

Crunchity":g6qhop1i said:
Not sure about on FB but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it on YT. I've recently uploaded a couple of guitar covers, "Centerfold" and the one currently in my sig...with Centerfold I've never been contacted, had any copyright messages applied, tags attached from the powers that be, etc, it's as if it's simply my own material - but with "TJ", boom, within the first day YT tagged it, made me aware that it "includes copyrighted content" and even listed the 4 or 5 groups/individuals that are entitled to a percentage of any profits (LOL :LOL: :LOL: ), which is of course fine and in a weird way, as mentioned, kind of a cool compliment!

I'm not concerned in any way, I just found it odd that the same policy didn't seem to apply to both tunes in the same manner...maybe romanianreaper is right, they factor in how close to the original you get and in my case at least, with Centerfold I stunk it up so bad they left me alone haha! :D

I just listened to your TJ cover. You've got some damned good tone.

Back