New 2017 Paul Gilbert Rig Rundown

Metlupass2":31pf2ekp said:
I hate this guy from Premier Guitar.

He's a dipshit, for sure :LOL: :LOL: Cool, cool, oh cool, cool, coll, oh cool. He's some interviewer :LOL: :LOL:

Metlupass2":qt52xwqv said:

He always acts like his mind is being blown in every "interview"

The guy that does the rig run downs of the newer / more underground bands is definitely a better interviewer

His mind is blown but also at times you can tell he's not even listening to what the interviewee is saying. His follow-up questions are always clueless.

Luca79":3p1t0rhk said:
Why say nothing about amps?

6:45

You´re running into these two Marshalls ... ?

Just one, the other one is a spair

tell me about ´em, what year is it, what model?

It´s brand new one, but it´s a vintage reissue ... its a 1959 SLP,
which is basically the Plexi 100W model and I find the less knobs
it has, the better things are gonna go. And I ´am playing into
the number two channel, which is a little less bitey than the number
one channel

Aside from the cool O-ring idea; I recently purchased a guitar specifically for whole step down tuning with 12-gauge strings and have been trying to suss out some (what I'll refer to as) sound/overtone anomalies present in any amp I played it through; therefore, has to be the guitar, right(?). After watching this yesterday my "DUH" light came on, I went home pulled out my 0.60 acoustic picks and started wailing on previously mentioned guitar: anomalies nearly gone with the rest being right hand technique.

I used 0.96 picks for years on half step down and drop Db guitars, however, have been playing 3mm jazz and/or Petrucci's picks for quite some time on mostly standard tuned guitars without really noticing anything much. Tuning down, larger strings and thick picks, along with sloppy RH seemed to culminate in revealing this issue, which had completely escaped me until hearing it discussed here. Little things...

Much appreciated insight from a pro (8'30"), which is why I really love these rig rundowns.

brianiac5150":1bxthkuh said:
Aside from the cool O-ring idea; I recently purchased a guitar specifically for whole step down tuning with 12-gauge strings and have been trying to suss out some (what I'll refer to as) sound/overtone anomalies present in any amp I played it through; therefore, has to be the guitar, right(?). After watching this yesterday my "DUH" light came on, I went home pulled out my 0.60 acoustic picks and started wailing on previously mentioned guitar: anomalies nearly gone with the rest being right hand technique.

I used 0.96 picks for years on half step down and drop Db guitars, however, have been playing 3mm jazz and/or Petrucci's picks for quite some time on mostly standard tuned guitars without really noticing anything much. Tuning down, larger strings and thick picks, along with sloppy RH seemed to culminate in revealing this issue, which had completely escaped me until hearing it discussed here. Little things...

Much appreciated insight from a pro (8'30"), which is why I really love these rig rundowns.

I'm trying to use a lighter pick as well. Coming from Fender Heavies, it's not easy.
This was a great Rig Rundown, IMO. Notice he uses the Normal Channel of the Marshall. The amp is clean. He uses an (always on) except when he uses the compressor/ chorus) TC Mojomojo. Then for addition gain the AC Booster and that fuzz unit.

mrcak":2dnfhjo4 said:
I'm trying to use a lighter pick as well. Coming from Fender Heavies, it's not easy.
...Notice he uses the Normal Channel of the Marshall...
I'm looking forward to spending more time with different picks this weekend. It does introduce/renew different playing facets.

Ever since I got my V-Plex 50 and some OD pedals, I run that amp 'clean' and push it with pedals: simply the most enjoyable tones I've experienced. I'll play other amps for several days, then come back to it and question everything. Also notice how low his volume knob is. Whole thing has me drooling for a 100w SLP. Hope to hear/play one tomorrow at Gearfest.

Hearing his tone on its own doesn't do much for me, however, it fits perfectly into the band mix. They sound awesome live.

brianiac5150":kjcckddy said:
mrcak":kjcckddy said:
...Notice he uses the Normal Channel of the Marshall...
I'm looking forward to spending more time with different picks this weekend. It does introduce/renew different playing facets.

Ever since I got my V-Plex 50 and some OD pedals, I run that amp 'clean' and push it with pedals: simply the most enjoyable tones I've experienced. I'll play other amps for several days, then come back to it and question everything. Also notice how low his volume knob is. Whole thing has me drooling for a 100w SLP. Hope to hear/play one tomorrow at Gearfest.

Hearing his tone on its own doesn't do much for me, however, it fits perfectly into the band mix. They sound awesome live.

Gilbert is doing what Richie Kotzen was doing when using the same 100 watt SLP. Normal ch with his RK Fly Rig pedal.

Metlupass2":lg8dchhx said:

haters-56a6a44c5f9b58b7d0e41acd.jpg

At least he's engaging....

I love the fact that Paul is using such a simple rig and yet gets amazing tone for what he does.
Makes me want to go and buy that pedal. :thumbsup:

That SLP is one loud mofo of an amp, but since hes not exactly using it for the breakup and relying on pedals for his dirt.
Another amp that I've wanted for a long time, had the 1987x and thought it was also a loud fucker..

Paul is a very inspiring and awesome guitarist, one of my favorites and this is just another reason to love the guy. :rock:

I really enjoy the rig rundowns and like all the interviewers except this guy.

This is his worst/most awkward interview with Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein

Back