Any PRS Archon owners?

mrcak

Banned
Specifically how do you like it and moreso if anyone compared it to a Mesa JC-2C or Dual Rectifier.

mrcak":2uqek9lq said:
Specifically how do you like it and moreso if anyone compared it to a Mesa JC-2C or Dual Rectifier.
I have an Archon and an old DR. They're very different. The Archon is much tighter and easier to dial in. You can use a boost with it, but it's not as necessary as it is with a DR.

No idea how it fairs against the JP-2C.

Someone told me the Archon is very similar to the Diezel VH4's channel 3.

Yup. Archon is freaking awesome.
I have a fja modded dual rec. it's voiced different.
Had the Archon and a Diezel Vh4 at the same time.
Had a few buddies over and we did a blind tone test. I could dial in the Archon to sound
99.9 % to the diezel. Diezel left. Archon still here.

Vrad":35rru5fu said:
mrcak":35rru5fu said:
I have an Archon and an old DR. They're very different. The Archon is much tighter and easier to dial in. You can use a boost with it, but it's not as necessary as it is with a DR.

I really want to try an Archon...

JerEvil":gdakls5v said:
Vrad":gdakls5v said:
mrcak":gdakls5v said:

I really want to try an Archon...

I really like mine.

sah5150":2kjwouaj said:
mrcak":2kjwouaj said:
Question is moot. I got a JP-2C en route!!!
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Steve

Will do! Had the Mark V about a year and it was a cool amp, but too many modes for me were useless. I recently found some demos of my old Mark III and that thing was killer, even w/ the stock Strats I used.
Don't care about John P tones....I go for the Brad Gillis type tones he used w/ Ozzy and Night Ranger.

So, I'm sure I'll be able to find MY tones in this amp, as far as Mesa tones. I'm still a Marshall-man at heart :rock:

Beyond Black":2gdx4ju8 said:
Can anyone compare an Archon to a 5153 Stealth?
Yup. Had both them same time as well. Stealth is just a fucking monster power house!!
To me the Archon was just little more defined and 'sweeter' sounding.
Would I snag a stealth again if I had the cash???
In a heart beat!! :yes:
I just liked the Archon better. Just 'oozed' tone. :thumbsup:

Mailman1971":tp8j0twz said:
Beyond Black":tp8j0twz said:
Yup. Had both them same time as well. Stealth is just a fucking monster power house!!

Agreed. I just sold a Stealth (my second), bought a 100-watt Archon (for $920!), and pocketed several hundred dollars in the process. The PRS is much sweeter sounding, while still having the ability to get as heavy as you could possibly need. I much prefer it.

Exactly. :thumbsup:
That archon can throw down to the brootz! :rock:
But just a slight dial back of the gain....
It cleans up (not thins out) to get KILLER rock tone!! :rock:
Loving this amp!! :yes:

Rising Farce":274qx9t5 said:
Mailman1971":274qx9t5 said:
Beyond Black":274qx9t5 said:

Agreed. I just sold a Stealth (my second), bought a 100-watt Archon (for $920!), and pocketed several hundred dollars in the process. The PRS is much sweeter sounding, while still having the ability to get as heavy as you could possibly need. I much prefer it.
Man, I LOVE my Stealth, but it sounds like I definitely need to try an Archon. Thanks dudes. :thumbsup:

I had a JP-2C and now have an Archon. They are voice completely different, and that's no surprise. While I love the Mesa Mark series, to me, they all sound a bit similar. In my opinion, the Archon works better for the sound I'm looking for and the clean channel is just phenomenal. The Archon is more bass heavy, so palm mutes are chunky and will rattle the walls if that's what you're going for. The JP2C has that fluid gain that's awesome for soloing. Both are great amps, just completely different.

I've played mine through a variety of speakers--V30, EVH Greenback, G12K-100--and it's sounded great through all of them. That said, the K-100s are currently my favorites.

Rising Farce":3kfzi9in said:
I've played mine through a variety of speakers--V30, EVH Greenback, G12K-100--and it's sounded great through all of them. That said, the K-100s are currently my favorites.

I need to come by and check it out. These amps are really getting my attention!

Back