Minty

milkchickenbomb

Minty.

Whenever gear is described this way, it makes my spider senses tingle. I know that sometimes it's a well intentioned way of saying excellent condition, but it just comes across like a used car salesman trying to get over on someone.

What do you think? Is this a legit way to describe gear?

descriptors of physical condition are very subjective. If you are a buyer, best to get pictures from all angles and ask for a complete description of any physical defect if you have concerns.

Personally, I prefer to say "like new/excellent condition" when I sell something to imply that is free of physical defect. Otherwise, I state any physical defect and let the buyer make the determination of what adjective should be used to describe it's condition and factor that into their decision of whether to buy and for how much.

Well call me Honest Don as I use "minty" all the time when selling if something is in fact "minty". My feedback on Reverb, Ebay, TGP and here would suggest that I use it appropriately...

SavageRiffer":2jeodotv said:
Uh, yeah. You could have come up with something better to complain about.

like complaining about shipping time even though it falls well within the indicated ship time... or complain about the carrier used when you never specifically asking for a specific carrier... then saying it isn't as loud as it should be because it's what you "think".

I do use the term "mint condition', however, only when it is unquestionable. In other words, the guitar does not even have the smallest scratch on it that I can find. If I would be happy to be delivered the guitar I'm describing in its current condition as new, I'll call it mint. I don't see this as a used car sales pitch, just a statement of fact. If it doesn't have even the smallest flaw, I don't think condition is subjective.

If it has any minor defect, I'll say excellent condition and describe the flaws...

Steve

I don't mind the term. They use it for baseball cards and coins. I do HATE when people say "mint except for". If it's mint there are NO exceptions IMO. Otherwise it's in excellent condition, not mint.

messenger":1nqhpjkx said:
I don't mind the term. They use it for baseball cards and coins. I do HATE when people say "mint except for". If it's mint there are NO exceptions IMO. Otherwise it's in excellent condition, not mint.

well technically, coins are really the only thing that should be called "mint". lol

messenger":15q7vwl8 said:

Yeah that shits annoying. Saw a guitar on Reverb yesterday with the condition listed as mint and then he listed all the chips and scratches right beneath it. Come on now.

This comes in mind when I see that word.

Attachments

• minty.jpg
    minty.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,539
glip22":3b276x9p said:
Mint or not I still want to know of any defects, marks, scratches, dents, anything.
If its mint, it shouldn't have any of those things...

Steve

sah5150":39fafzwt said:
glip22":39fafzwt said:
Mint or not I still want to know of any defects, marks, scratches, dents, anything.

Steve
True. Not everyone's idea of mint is like ours. Some will say it's mint because they bought it as mint but it was not.

I like to see "Mint condition. Not a mark or defect of any type on it."

mystixboi":2pjnd07q said:
SavageRiffer":2pjnd07q said:
Uh, yeah. You could have come up with something better to complain about.

like complaining about shipping time even though it falls well within the indicated ship time... or complain about the carrier used when you never specifically asking for a specific carrier... then saying it isn't as loud as it should be because it's what you "think".

:LOL: :LOL:

glip22":2y8x98ic said:
sah5150":2y8x98ic said:
glip22":2y8x98ic said:

Steve
True. Not everyone's idea of mint is like ours. Some will say it's mint because they bought it as mint but it was not.

I like to see "Mint condition. Not a mark or defect of any type on it."

-I'm with the TS,.. just something about that wording, MINTY!!!... Is it not gay!...

-scenario for ya,.... absolutely 100% new!! Took it out of the box to take pics, put it back in, plastic bagged and all, as factory, BUTT!!! I'm a smoker!!!.. and/or a PET OWNER!!! is it still MINTY?-(come on, we can do better than the obvious "not MINTY FRESH")-

-I live in a hippie state, unlike any other state, 2 week old PUTA, froze up, I say the obvious. "PFFFFFFFFFF!!-take that bitch back!!". they-(4 hippie's)-look at me with disgust, and say " its my mom's, she's a-(GASP!!)-smoker, the warranty is null & void". and they were as serious as a heart attack...

Long time ago I bought an ENGL SE listed here as "like New" and it looked like it has been attacked by a tiger.

So now I want pics, because mint and like new differs for each other.

Back