Amp Build: Ceriatone Kraken 50

fusedbrain":njxaryyz said:
This is gonna be cool :rock:

I've got a Ceriatone-based build going right now too, and I'm getting to be a big fan of Nik & Ceriatone in general. Either for a complete build, or using their kits/parts as the basis for a custom build. You can pick the model that has the general layout and # of tubes you want and tweak from there. My amp is the AFD#35 layout with 4 12ax7's, so I'm going in a kind of Bogner XTC direction, but I'm already starting to think about doing a Chuppa / Yeti type Jose build when I finish this one.

I didn't start a build thread for my amp because it's my first full amp build and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. You've set the bar pretty high around here with that SLO clone thread. I've looked at that thread of your's many times, and it certainly looks like you know how to build amps. If my AFD build turns out half as nice as that, I'll be happy. ( and maybe, maybe post a few pics )

Looking forward to the rest of this thread :thumbsup:

I'd love to see how it turns out!

And yeah, I agree about Ceriatone. They are a great resource for ready-to-go platforms if you want to tweak a circuit to your own liking. I'm all for a bit of competition in the market. So I appreciate what they're doing, even if it ruffles a few feathers.

Awesome.

Don't always involve myself in the "build threads"...cause i really can't offer anything other than...adda'boy...and just admire from afar. But i do love'em.

Your amp builds are always impeccably clean and neat. Adda'boy! :LOL: :LOL:

:rock:

MrDowntown":2ckyr8z2 said:
Awesome.

Don't always involve myself in the "build threads"...cause i really can't offer anything other than...adda'boy...and just admire from afar. But i do love'em.

Your amp builds are always impeccably clean and neat. Adda'boy! :LOL: :LOL:

:rock:

lol thanks buddy!

Anything different about the clippers in this build? I don't know what Nik uses in the Chupa/Yeti, if it's zeners or transistors hooked up like zeners (base/emitter only). I think Cameron uses MPSA06 (NPN) which is what I read Jose used (at least once lol), 4 of them in series hooked up BE-EB-BE-EB. I think Friedman uses 2N5400 (PNP). But Cameron/Jose just put the 10k and .22uF (or .33uF or .47uF) in series coming off that CF cathode while Friedman hooks that in parallel with the tone stack feed.

If i had 1% of your skills, I would be building amps. They would probably kill people eventually, but that would not stop me I juuuust would. :LOL: :LOL:

SpiderWars":3s6hau0k said:
Anything different about the clippers in this build? I don't know what Nik uses in the Chupa/Yeti, if it's zeners or transistors hooked up like zeners (base/emitter only). I think Cameron uses MPSA06 (NPN) which is what I read Jose used (at least once lol), 4 of them in series hooked up BE-EB-BE-EB. I think Friedman uses 2N5400 (PNP). But Cameron/Jose just put the 10k and .22uF (or .33uF or .47uF) in series coming off that CF cathode while Friedman hooks that in parallel with the tone stack feed.

No idea what Ceriatone uses for clippers. The Chupa I have has those large-diameter capsules of some sort. This build came with smaller ones that look like two components heat-shrinked together. Definitely axial lead parts of some sort. I was thinking of ripping the heat shrink off and taking a look.

The schematics I have for all the various diode-clipping amps show:

Cameron Atomica: Two MPSA06 on one side of the switch and some other type of 20v diodes on the other.
Cameron CCV: Two 2N5400 on one side and two 20v diodes on the other
Cameorn Jose: One 20v + one 18v zener only
Fortin Cali: Two 2N5400 on one side and two 20v diodes on the other

I've never seen any arrangement that uses four MPSA06 in series. So that's news to me.

I've never seen any arrangement that uses four MPSA06 in series. So that's news to me.
I was searching 'Aldrich mod' one day and found an old post by Chris Merren that spelled out the MPSA06 and BE-EB-BE-EB arrangement. They are 4v threshold while the 2N5400 are 5v threshold. In series like that would be 8v threshold. Just look at the Emitter-Base breakdown voltage on a spec sheet. Lots of others could be used. I've done an 18v/20v asymmetrical clipper that I like (that's my 70's mode).

Yeah I've just not seen that specific setup before. The verified Cameron Aldrich schematic I have does not use clippers.

FourT6and2":25khusvw said:
Yeah I've just not seen that specific setup before. The verified Cameron Aldrich schematic I have does not use clippers.
Yeah he wasn't saying in the Aldrich. It was a really long thread with tangents. It was just an amp he had personally seen. Forgot to mention, if you try asymmetrical try it both ways (flip the signal/ground connections). The assymetry sounds better leaning one way than the other.

EDIT: Second post on second page. Not as long a thread as I thought.
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... 5&start=15

If you find the ARS cans don't fit tightly (depending on clamp) in the clamp, just cut you a slice of thin cardboard to use a as a spacer. I've had to do this with some clamps, when using ARS cans. Works fine and you cant tell as long as you cut the strip the same size as the clamp ring.

SpiderWars":3gt74wp7 said:
FourT6and2":3gt74wp7 said:
Yeah he wasn't saying in the Aldrich. It was a really long thread with tangents. It was just an amp he had personally seen. Forgot to mention, if you try asymmetrical try it both ways (flip the signal/ground connections). The assymetry sounds better leaning one way than the other.

EDIT: Second post on second page. Not as long a thread as I thought.
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/v ... 5&start=15

Very interesting, thanks!

Playing with the clippers will be the very last thing I try. I need to get the amp built and voiced how I like it first. But I will eventually play around with that for sure.

CrazyNutz":266savnr said:
If you find the ARS cans don't fit tightly (depending on clamp) in the clamp, just cut you a slice of thin cardboard to use a as a spacer. I've had to do this with some clamps, when using ARS cans. Works fine and you cant tell as long as you cut the strip the same size as the clamp ring.

Yeah, I've read that about the ARS since they are a bit on the svelt side :D But the clamps Ceriatone provides seem to work well with all the caps I have. They can get plenty tight for the ARS.

ProjChassis1.jpg
I have this chassis on the way

Man... I've been trying to get in touch with a few vendors over the last week or two with zero success. What's going on with customer service lately? I can't get a response to phone calls, emails, or web submissions from:

Metropoulos
Weber
Marstran
Heyboer

I'm waiting on parts and inquiries from these places but they're impossible to get a hold of.

Nothing to add really... your work is neat and I love these threads. I also strongly urge you to do future versions in a purple headshell and you could add an octopus to the logo. As for the kraken, I don't know what it is about that stuff but once you get too deep into it, it swallows you whole and things get messy. As an adult I should know this but sometimes the kraken calls and I go down with the ship!

Kapo_Polenton":6p3qma66 said:
Nothing to add really... your work is neat and I love these threads. I also strongly urge you to do future versions in a purple headshell and you could add an octopus to the logo. As for the kraken, I don't know what it is about that stuff but once you get too deep into it, it swallows you whole and things get messy. As an adult I should know this but sometimes the kraken calls and I go down with the ship!

1rlazt.jpg

FourT6and2":hl06n8cv said:
Man... I've been trying to get in touch with a few vendors over the last week or two with zero success. What's going on with customer service lately? I can't get a response to phone calls, emails, or web submissions from:

Metropoulos
Weber
Marstran
Heyboer

I'm waiting on parts and inquiries from these places but they're impossible to get a hold of.

Arlyn get's back to me quick everytime.
arlyn@heyboertransformers.net

Back