Randy Rhoads Tone Challenge

sg guy":7sjqce2d said:
-the double & triple tracking in the studio was used to make Randy's tone bigger & thicker-(the eternal battle guitarist have had with there Marshall amp since day one, and as time went on JTM-JMP-JCM the voicing got thinner, and upper mid focused each time, then if that wasnt enough, With the new JCM800's, Marshall adds a brite cap!!..the RR mod of running 2 passes through V-1-(input buffer tube for ch. #1 & ch #2)-instead of sharing it-(each channel "normally" got half of the 12AX7)- and a very cool feature with this mod, is that by simply plugging into one of the channel-2 input's ,.... made -VOLUME I-(the MASTER VOLUME)- & VOLUME II-(GAIN CONTROL)-(so much for the "its just a1959 NM PLEXI turned way up & a MXR OD" -BULLSHIT-the double pass of V-1 added quite a bit more pre-amp gain.

-VARIAC- at 90-volts-(FACT)-
-RR MOD WAS ALWAYS RANDY'S CORE TONE-(FACT)--------MXR OD/DISTORTION always on, to slam the front of a NON-MASTER VOLUME Marshall = Randy's tone-(FUCKIN COMPLETE BULL SHIT)-
-MXR OD/DISTORTION used to color & primarily used for lead work-(FACT)-
-RANDY mastered, owned, and loved to the volume nob on his guitars-(FACT)-(I don't know what the pot value was)-
-RANDY not only taught classical guitar, he was completely BAD ASS at it & with its ONE-&-ONLY-RULE------(THERE ARE NO RULES)-rules are for the weak,.... mindless clone's,....5 year old child prodigies,.... the "technically proficient" <----this-is-an-insult-but-they-dont-know-it----------<<<<<<< and those that play scales as fast as they can, in doing so remove any chance of an original anything....

-(THAT SHIT HAS NO FUCKIN SOUL)-

....because live footage shows RR smacking on his Dist+ before soloing.
Only FACT is you don't have a clue

I was about to ask, how do you know this is FACT as you say?

We're you there with him?

He states in interviews that he uses the MXR + as well as stating the rest of his gear, nothing regarding a variac have I ever heard him say.

Man.. there is a lot of odd information in this thread regarding Randys tone. In my clip I posted earlier you can easily hear its not rocket science on how to get that tone. Mods, variacs... :confused: Next it'll be Randy used an AxeFx!! I used a Les Paul with a Fender SS amp with a shitty phone recording in the room. The speakers are what makes all the difference in nailing his sound!! The freq. range on them go up to 8000hz where the typical V30 only hits 5000hz. These things are bright!! Too bright for me to use with any of my higher gain rigs.

I owned an AxeFx and had a really good Randy patch for it. It was close, but thru a poweramp and a 4x12 it was never spot on. Going direct is a whole nother story and I am only referring to a poweramp and 4x12 so no disrespect to the modeler crowd. For anyone looking to duplicate his tone with tube amps, ya aint gonna nail it without the speakers.. no matter what kind of mods you do to the amp or how many pedals you run. You'll get close, but thats about it.
Oh, and if your so inclined to research these things, research the mic'ing techniques from Blizzard and Diary... I cant remember exact now but I believe it was Blizzard that Max Norman mic'ed the cabs from different distances and blended them and the other album he didnt. Thats just one of the reasons why the tone is so different. Christ, I spent waaaay too many years chasing that tone.. :LOL: :LOL:

Dan,

There is one company today that makes these and they are repo's using the same components from the originals, or so they claim. They are expensive because they are an Alnico speaker. You can still find them used but they are getting harder to find. I bought 8 of them used well over 20 years ago and wish I had the advantage of Ebay at the time.
That Randy amp sounds good in person, but its funny how bright they voiced it to compensate for his overall rig.

phil b":1xsrbh9a said:
Heres some fun.... I just did this really quick with my phone, 1 take, just noodling to demonstrate how these speakers sound. These are a pair of Altecs in a combo amp. No treble boost {which randy never used btw} and no od or boost of any kind. I honestly cant stress enough how important these speakers were to Randys sound, hate it or not. Anyways, would be fun to see if anyone can guess the amp. No Axefx, Kemper or other modeler. Guitar was plugged straight in. Randys lead tone was a huge inspiration to me when I first heard it.From then every lead I did had to be triple tracked..! :LOL: :LOL: Funny thing is Dave Linsk who is now in Overkill was such a giant Randy nut. He tracked down these speakers from all over everywhere before you could just scour the net for them. I bought 2 cabs from him when we were in our early 20's and still have a quad of them a million years later. Anyways heres the clip.
https://soundcloud.com/guitarplyr/altec-417-speakers

That's it. You are right, it's about the speakers. Rest is his fingers. You convinced me. Great clip.

Alex_S":12ex8gim said:
phil b":12ex8gim said:
Heres some fun.... I just did this really quick with my phone, 1 take, just noodling to demonstrate how these speakers sound. These are a pair of Altecs in a combo amp. No treble boost {which randy never used btw} and no od or boost of any kind. I honestly cant stress enough how important these speakers were to Randys sound, hate it or not. Anyways, would be fun to see if anyone can guess the amp. No Axefx, Kemper or other modeler. Guitar was plugged straight in. Randys lead tone was a huge inspiration to me when I first heard it.From then every lead I did had to be triple tracked..! :LOL: :LOL: Funny thing is Dave Linsk who is now in Overkill was such a giant Randy nut. He tracked down these speakers from all over everywhere before you could just scour the net for them. I bought 2 cabs from him when we were in our early 20's and still have a quad of them a million years later. Anyways heres the clip.

That's it. You are right, it's about the speakers. Rest is his fingers. You convinced me. Great clip.

Well the one thing about Randys Tone compared to say Eddies, is that Randys sound was so unique compared to anyone else, and it seems to be true to this day. I completely agree that the player has such an influence on the sound, but just playing the intro to say, "I Dont Know", it doesnt take much player technique to nail the vibe of the player to nail that tone vs. say something like "I'm the one" by Eddie.... You obviously need more than just the speakers to nail Randys tone, but its so overlooked because most guys have never played thru them and have no clue. In this instance you can get closer with the speakers than you can with whatever head your using. I find it bizarre, but thats a fact. :)

phil b":2u500apk said:
Alex_S":2u500apk said:
phil b":2u500apk said:

Well the one thing about Randys Tone compared to say Eddies, is that Randys sound was so unique compared to anyone else, and it seems to be true to this day. I completely agree that the player has such an influence on the sound, but just playing the intro to say, "I Dont Know", it doesnt take much player technique to nail the vibe of the player to nail that tone vs. say something like "I'm the one" by Eddie.... You obviously need more than just the speakers to nail Randys tone, but its so overlooked because most guys have never played thru them and have no clue. In this instance you can get closer with the speakers than you can with whatever head your using. I find it bizarre, but thats a fact. :)

Agreed. I also never have played those speakers. Speakers are imho anyhow the most overlooked underrated part of sound. But in this case it's really 95%. Of course the other parts of the chain from player to guitar to recording also influence. To get it 100% everything needs to be right, but you identified the major part.

shredhead7":21m17i1m said:
the crush 36":21m17i1m said:
https://youtu.be/72QNao9trqk

https://youtu.be/ql-sYQGtqJo

Heres a couple Randy Rhoads solos!!
My all time favorite guitar player!!

Man, you killed those solos. I laughed at your cat. Mine was like that too, just chill next to you, until you try to do anything else, then it's pet me. Pet me. Pet me. Heah, pet me.

Really though, fantastic playing. :rock:

Hey thanks alot !! Dam cats got to love em!
But alot of great guitar players here!

-was i there?.. Well at 52, i actually lived the 80's, didnt just read about it on the interwebz,

-(FACT)-you did an excellent job of capturing Randy's Fierce Aggression, that was what I heard back then, "tone" was a nob on your mother's radio in the 1975 Caprice,

copilot":2a8kh7dh said:
sg guy":2a8kh7dh said:
-the double & triple tracking in the studio was used to make Randy's tone bigger & thicker-(the eternal battle guitarist have had with there Marshall amp since day one, and as time went on JTM-JMP-JCM the voicing got thinner, and upper mid focused each time, then if that wasnt enough, With the new JCM800's, Marshall adds a brite cap!!..the RR mod of running 2 passes through V-1-(input buffer tube for ch. #1 & ch #2)-instead of sharing it-(each channel "normally" got half of the 12AX7)- and a very cool feature with this mod, is that by simply plugging into one of the channel-2 input's ,.... made -VOLUME I-(the MASTER VOLUME)- & VOLUME II-(GAIN CONTROL)-(so much for the "its just a1959 NM PLEXI turned way up & a MXR OD" -BULLSHIT-the double pass of V-1 added quite a bit more pre-amp gain.

-RR MOD WAS ALWAYS RANDY'S CORE TONE-(FACT)--------MXR OD/DISTORTION always on, to slam the front of a NON-MASTER VOLUME Marshall = Randy's tone-(FUCKIN COMPLETE BULL SHIT)-
-RANDY mastered, owned, and loved to the volume nob on his guitars-(FACT)-(I don't know what the pot value was)-
-RANDY not only taught classical guitar, he was completely BAD ASS at it & with its ONE-&-ONLY-RULE------(THERE ARE NO RULES)-rules are for the weak,.... mindless clone's,....5 year old child prodigies,.... the "technically proficient" <----this-is-an-insult-but-they-dont-know-it----------<<<<<<< and those that play scales as fast as they can, in doing so remove any chance of an original anything....

-hey Carl, snuck in again I see, did I not say Randy used the MXR distortion pedal for leads?-(FACT!!)-

sg guy":5fr7eymv said:
copilot":5fr7eymv said:
sg guy":5fr7eymv said:

-hey Carl, snuck in again I see, did I not say Randy used the MXR distortion pedal for leads?-(FACT!!)-

Watch the footage. You see him turning his Dist+ on/off? I don't. Stick your "facts" up your ass. :LOL: :LOL:

Nothing for nothing but Randy was asked about his Distortion + and he did say he kept it on all the time. I am sure a search for the audio clip can be found somewhere online. I think it was his guitar seminar{?} He's also said that every town they would tour in he would look up classical guitar teachers and grab a lesson. Ozzy has also confirmed that in interviews years ago.

I love Randy but I didn't like his rhythm tone on Blizzard. I like it better on DOAM. I like what he had going on the After Hours stuff. I really like how he double and triple tracked his solo's on the studio albums.

He is tough to nail and I think its more important to play it right than to nail his tone...having said that and I do a poor job of it but at least I gave it a go :)

I did these ages ago when I started playing more and recorded them using a J-station late at night after my kids (now adults) were little.

http://www.shawnlutz.com/crowley1mix3.mp3

http://www.shawnlutz.com/mrcrowley2mix2.mp3

http://www.shawnlutz.com/Over_The_%20Mo ... 20Mix1.mp3

http://www.shawnlutz.com/Diary_Mix_1.mp3

I'd love to do a redo with real amps...

Bump

(unless everybody changed to liking Dave Matthews Band tone; could be)

sytharnia1560":hvrxm739 said:

Thanks... would you believe a combination of a UA 2-610 with a computer? :D

I'm doing a vid which will show everything in detail.

Back