_____))((

Kevin11":22g53fs8 said:
A quick update on my Katana experience. <SNIP> So in the middle of the gig, our singer/rhythm guitarist's JCM800 died. Between sets, I set him up with my Katana and I went back to my XTC...always bring a backup. Everyone in the band and production crew agreed that he never sounded better (his poor Marshall has needed some TLC for years now). He's the only guitarist in both of my bands that doesn't own a Katana and he was so happy with it, he's ordering one now too.

Wow. More great testimony to reassure my decision. :D

It seems almost too good to be true. I can get something great for $350 ?!?!?
Where was this thing 20 years ago!

I remember one time I bought a first-gen Peavey 5150 head from a local shop that
went out of business many years ago. I forgot what I paid for it, but it was more than
I ever paid for any amp before. ( Or since! )
I brought it home, plugged it into my 4x12 cab and started banging away on it.
After 30 minutes... I started getting worried. After two hours.... I was PISSED.
The thing sounded like DOG SHIT on a STICK.
I boxed it up, and took it straight back to the shop! The owner was nice enough to
refund my purchase. ( I bought other things from him, so he was cool taking it back. )
My problem is, I can never judge something in a store. I need to hook it up to MY rig,
and play on it for awhile in order to get to "know" it.
I can't demo anything in a store. You crank it up, and start annoying people. Then I start
feeling self-conscious. :aww:
Besides, any other guitar besides YOUR favorite guitar won't feel and sound like YOUR favorite
guitar! You can take one off the wall... and it is always out of tune, with bad action and intonation.
Very rare a shop does a full "setup" on every guitar they get in-stock. They unbox them, and
stick them on the wall. SWEETWATER supposedly does a 55-point inspection/setup on every
guitar they sell. Which is what ALL shops should do.

But I digress....

I am still digging my Katana 2X12. No regrets, and I've had a million buying regrets which have involved a LOT more $$$$ than this.

Coupled with the Boss footswitch its a formidable amp to be sure. I have a basement-full of really nice amps and cabs, and currently use a Fractal AX8 rig live (don't judge!) but this Katana would work in most any scenario I could possibly require.

I totally get the 'too-good-to-be-true' thing. The thing looks like a toy and "on paper" doesn't seem like it would be anything to sneeze at. It's another non-tube amp in a sea of them that all claim to sound just like your favorite tube amp when very few of them actually do. At the end of the day, it's a super affordable, versatile, great sounding solid state amp (I can only vouch for the 100w head). Whether or not it's EXACTLY like a tube amp is irrelevant to me. It sounds, feels and responds in a way that is familiar and is personally enjoyable to me...and apparently a whole slew of other players. There's a freaking 500+ page discussion about it on TGP. Like everything in life, it won't be for everybody, but IMHO the massive praise being heaped on it is 100% justified.

Now if Boss would just release a killer sounding, matching Katana 4x12 cab. I'm OCD like that. No overpriced Waza 4x12 and no Katana 2x12. Geez, I ain't about to rock a flippin' wall of 2x12s! :LOL: :LOL:

Rayneman":2h25z816 said:
I am still digging my Katana 2X12. No regrets, and I've had a million buying regrets which have involved a LOT more $$$$ than this.

Coupled with the Boss footswitch its a formidable amp to be sure. I have a basement-full of really nice amps and cabs, and currently use a Fractal AX8 rig live (don't judge!) but this Katana would work in most any scenario I could possibly require.

No judging here. I'm running a Helix for fx only right now and am still lusting after a Fractal. I just read an AX8 review in one of the guitar mags where they said with the latest update, it may actually sound BETTER than the amps it models. Grain of salt for sure, but there's no doubt the tech is getting there, especially in the feel department. Even if it didn't sound "just like", the question is, does it sound great? That has to be an emphatic yes.

Kevin11":a9zcdqnl said:
Now if Boss would just release a killer sounding, matching Katana 4x12 cab. I'm OCD like that.

So many companies making 4x12 cabs. With many different speaker options.
Prices range from really cheap, to boutique expensive. Why do you want BOSS to make a 4x12?
You literally have every option available to you now, from other companies.

oldmtlhed":1qcyzav4 said:
Kevin11":1qcyzav4 said:
Now if Boss would just release a killer sounding, matching Katana 4x12 cab. I'm OCD like that.

Prices range from really cheap, to boutique expensive. Why do you want BOSS to make a 4x12?

Because he wants it to match aesthetically.

Mr. Willy":2lsw501u said:
oldmtlhed":2lsw501u said:
Kevin11":2lsw501u said:

Because he wants it to match aesthetically.

I was just joking...mostly. Anything beyond that, Mr. Willy hit the nail on the head. I'm aesthetically OCD and I like a matching set where amp heads and cabs are concerned. When I see a Mesa head on a Marshall 4x12, my hair hurts and I break out in hives. HAHA

I'm fortunate enough to have several Bogner 4x12s with different speaker combinations that I love dearly and sound great with the Boss.

I'm not suggesting this become the defacto Katana thread...but there's sooo many.... :LOL: :LOL:

Has anyone messed with the CUSTOM Amp in the Katana Floor board?? If so...what'cha think? Is it "geared" toward a specific amp brand/type?

Back