Crossroads duel live

Chester Nimitz":2t2xgizn said:
He could make anyone want a JEM back then. ;)
He sure did, i bought a Desert Yellow jem with the vine in 89. Damn was i proud of that guitar, all my friends where drooling over that one.

Bad ass! I remember getting the tab to all that when I was a teenager in one of the guitar mags. Still can't play the Paganini part worth a shit! LOL!

A buddy of mine sent me this on VHS shortly after it aired in '97. It was my first Vai bootleg and at the time, I'm not sure the G3 video was even out yet, so there wasn't any live Vai material to buy. I was fully infatuated with him at the time (I was 15) and watched this tape on repeat for probably 2 years straight. The same VHS also had the '92 Guitar Expo, the Alcatrazz vid and his entire clinic at GIT from the mid-80's.

This was right before I got my JEM...and yes, it only cranked up my earning for one even more. This is easily my favorite Vai era, his rig was the 101B and an Egnater TOL100. I'm friends with his tech for those tours, Roger Bell, on facebook, that guy is a whole book in itself, but it's very cool getting to hear some stories and details of his gear from that time. Actually, the rig from that tour is what turned me into a gear head. It was the first time I ever saw a Kriz-Kraft pedalboard with the aluminum channeling and the handles....first time ever seeing an RS-10 and having NO CLUE what the fuck it did. I thought it was the secret behind all his sound. I had no clue what MIDI did or anything.

The entire Korea vid is pretty cool, though. Keneally, Mangini and Bynoe as the back-up band....this band had such a looser, rockin' feel than his following bands have had. Even on the tour that followed, the Ultra Zone tour with the same members, it was a much tighter unit and didn't have nearly as much of a loose/rock feel. There's very little video of that tour.

victim5150":1jdenhih said:
Bad ass! I remember getting the tab to all that when I was a teenager in one of the guitar mags. Still can't play the Paganini part worth a shit! LOL!

I still have that mag. One of the few I kept. Been trying to play that freaking part (the Paganini) since 85. Every couple years I say I'm gonna master it...and sometimes I get close...then try again a few years later. har.

Vai is still a beast. He's been one of my biggest heroes since 1992... and there is nothing wrong with that.

He's a monster player and just amazing musician. Sure, a ton of people can shred, but he's so much more than that!

mystixboi":29erkoj1 said:
Vai is still a beast. He's been one of my biggest heroes since 1992... and there is nothing wrong with that.

He's a monster player and just amazing musician. Sure, a ton of people can shred, but he's so much more than that!

Yup, been a big fan also, but damn, Satch was always THE one for me, so much feeling and emotion, variety in every damn song he writes, nothing sounds the same. Hard act to follow for me,

Back