BOSS MS-3 Anyone?

Emg77

I started to look into a small pedal looper that has midi, to run a new live rig with my Diezel Paul. I came across the new Boss MS-3. Looks pretty cool. I try to get into effects but at the end of the day all I really end up using is a little chorus and delay. I have an Eventide H9 / Just got rid of a Line6 Helix etc... This thing might just be the what I need. I mean the price compared to just straight midi pedals or just looper pedals is really good. It doesn't take up a bunch of real-estate and BOSS has been around along time. From what I remember there delays and choruses we not bad at all. Im open to suggestions .

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS3Switcher

I'll be getting one as soon as they are in stock at my local music store. Seems like a really useful tool that doesn't take up much space.

I heard you can do 4CM with it if you use one of the loops. Can't beat it for the price.

YUP! Great little box! I'm running mine via 4CM into my Mesa Mark V 35 combo. Nice little setup. Lots of great Boss FX in one box.

PBGas":xn1wvl1n said:
YUP! Great little box! I'm running mine via 4CM into my Mesa Mark V 35 combo. Nice little setup. Lots of great Boss FX in one box.

How many loops do you wind up with left over in 4cm? Two?

PBGas":34knolwo said:

Awesome! I'm going to give it go!

How about the wah?

I have one and I like it. Doing some more final testing today to get gig ready. I love the functionality of it. I have it controlling my amp channels too and using 4CM. I sold 3 pedals to pay for this and am not looking back. I had an Eventide H9 and it sounded great but this is far more usable for gigs. I cannot wait to gig with it. My pedal board is a lot more open now.

legend71":3uldsws6 said:
I have one and I like it. Doing some more final testing today to get gig ready. I love the functionality of it. I have it controlling my amp channels too and using 4CM. I sold 3 pedals to pay for this and am not looking back. I had an Eventide H9 and it sounded great but this is far more usable for gigs. I cannot wait to gig with it. My pedal board is a lot more open now.

Thanks for input!

Just got one a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Using 4CM with a EVH 5150 III 50 watt head. The Boss controls the channel switching on the amp via MIDI, have a couple of pedals in the free loops that I can't live without and it's good to go.

The wah sounds very good, you just need to find an expression pedal that will give you the right feel. I'm still trying a few options on that. Also, the tuner in the MS-3 is usable so you don't have to worry about a stand alone tuner either.

Overall the MS-3 is making my pedalboard a hell of a lot smaller than what it was for sure.

I've been looking at one of these to make a small backup pedalboard. Seems to be a ton of bang for the buck.

moltenmetalburn":3ari5lv4 said:
PBGas":3ari5lv4 said:

1 loop for 4CM and the other two for other pedals as you need them.

Emg77":y5j2pkhy said:
PBGas":y5j2pkhy said:

Awesome! I'm going to give it go!

How about the wah?

The Wah is OK and useable, no question. However, I have a Petrucci Wah going in front of the input on the box as I really like that Wah.

Dave Simpson":fggzp5q5 said:
Just got one a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Using 4CM with a EVH 5150 III 50 watt head. The Boss controls the channel switching on the amp via MIDI, have a couple of pedals in the free loops that I can't live without and it's good to go

I saw the thread and was about to reply but you said the exact same thing I was going to type haha. I am running the same setup. I have a GT-OD Customshop in Loop 1 and a Friedman BE-OD in Loop 2. Loop 3 for 4CM. I'm not a big FX dude but the Chorus, Delay and Reverb are all great. The unit itself is very intuitive and once the Software Editor is out in a few weeks, will be even easier to use. And it sounds good. I haven't even delved into all the functionality the unit has, just barely scratched the surface so to speak.

Luca79":1ihomic9 said:
I use the Musicom-lab MKV, which is a little bigger, but with more loops.
True, but this unit also has over 100 built in effects. It's a different beast altogether.

moltenmetalburn":1oxqx4zb said:
PBGas":1oxqx4zb said:

Yep. The 3 loops are in series so you can't move them around in your FX chain like you can with the ES-5 or ES-8, but you can move all the other FX blocks before or after the 3 loops. So which ever loop you use for 4CM will determine which FX are Pre or Post.

I've been intrigued by this box because it seems to combine a lot of the stuff I use now into one compact easy package.

In looking at the specs for this, 4CM is possible, but doing a simultaneous 8CM with two different amps isn't, right?

As I understand it, you could theoretically have the preamp of Amp1 in Loop1 , and the preamp of Amp2 in Loop2, but you would need to switch each loop on or off depending on the state of the other or else your preamps will feed into each other. Is that right?

I see where a separate amp could be run off the stereo out, but that would either get the preamp and post effects fed into it's input or it would just be slaved into the power amp.

I don't know that any of this is a deal breaker for me necessarily, just trying to understand the limitations of the MS3.

the recluse":krmb0sv0 said:
I've been intrigued by this box because it seems to combine a lot of the stuff I use now into one compact easy package.

In looking at the specs for this, 4CM is possible, but doing a simultaneous 8CM with two different amps isn't, right?

As I understand it, you could theoretically have the preamp of Amp1 in Loop1 , and the preamp of Amp2 in Loop2, but you would need to switch each loop on or off depending on the state of the other or else your preamps will feed into each other. Is that right?

I see where a separate amp could be run off the stereo out, but that would either get the preamp and post effects fed into it's input or it would just be slaved into the power amp.

I don't know that any of this is a deal breaker for me necessarily, just trying to understand the limitations of the MS3.

You got it exactly. You would have to use up 2 loops to run 2 amps 4CM. Within each preset you can select which loops and FX are switched on. You could have both amps running together or switch between them. Not sure if running them together will cause phasing issues though. The only thing to keep in mind is which 2 loops you use. Everything after the last loop you use for those 2
amps will be post pre amp. You can also have more pedals in each loop, you would just have to manually switch those pedals on and off if you don't need them in a particular preset/patch.

Otherwise if you just want everything running into the front of the amp, then just use the stereo outs as you mentioned

Back