Soldano built SLO-100 Effects Level Loop is on the way.

Giga":3c4ww16h said:
"Mushy" may not be the best way to describe the effect of cutting the signal in the loop of a stock SLO but doing so definitely has a tonal impact on the overall sound of the amp.
It decreases overall gain (or maybe distortion is a better word in this case) and (thus) smoothness of the amp.
Aparently the loop tends to overdrive the next tubes in line which are V4 and/or V5 (PI).
I'm not really sure which one it is but the effect is definitely audible. I tried....

Giga
This is my experience as well. You can't just change the level of the loop without changing (and imo somewhat neutering) the tone. That last tube after the loop, F4, gets overdriven and smooths the tone. Cut the level and it no longer overdrives the same.

The loop should be fairly easy in concept imo. Implementation is harder. Just hardwire the existing loop (which just means don't have wires carrying the SEND/RETURN signals to the jacks, just connect those two points internally) and then put a Metro type loop between the MVs and PI and send those signals to the jacks. The biggest challenge here imo is that ideally you'd like to have the Return level on the front of the amp and have it be the global master volume. The channel masters would then just be used to balance the channels and set the SEND level (and you can still add another global send level but that's yet another pot). The fact that a stock SLO doesn't have a global master complicates it a bit imo.

Well-stated and I agree completely, Bryan.
:thumbsup:

SLOgriff":s98igr4m said:
JLB is a great guy and is VERY passionate about Soldano and quality gear. The Soldano 44 was his idea, Mike thought it was a great idea as well, and they built it. It used to be an exclusive amp that you could only get thru Blues City Music.

I'm sure he meant it was "My Idea" to start offering the SLO with the revised Loop circuit as a normal production option. NOT it was my idea for in updated loop....I know Lynn, and we've talked about players' requests and the constant complaining about the SLO's Loop (on various forums). This is the just the natural progression to try and give folks the OPTION of two different SLO's (outside of the normal options already offered). Everyone knows that Mike has always wanted to keep the SLO as it was originally designed.....seems Lynn and Mike are friends and he's trying to help facilitate people's requests and make it a production OPTION like the Depth.

:thumbsup:

This is exactly what I do - the 25K EB (the Roland one also is quite good). Also, amen to those who say that the loop is integral to the tone as that CF smoothes things out. Some like the more raw/ragged sound without it, but to me that isn't the classic SLO sound.

Beam Tetrode":1bga7c5j said:
It's super easy to make any old SLO loop instrument level. Simply wire a 25K audio taper pot as a volume control between the FX Send and your pedals. Turn up your Master Volumes to set your return levels.

Heck, you could even use a 25K Ernie Ball volume pedal instead of the pot.

Rdodson":14g977e0 said:
This is exactly what I do - the 25K EB (the Roland one also is quite good). Also, amen to those who say that the loop is integral to the tone as that CF smoothes things out. Some like the more raw/ragged sound without it, but to me that isn't the classic SLO sound.

Beam Tetrode":14g977e0 said:
It's super easy to make any old SLO loop instrument level. Simply wire a 25K audio taper pot as a volume control between the FX Send and your pedals. Turn up your Master Volumes to set your return levels.

Heck, you could even use a 25K Ernie Ball volume pedal instead of the pot.
It is easy to make it instrument level...but not easy to make it instrument level AND still sound the same at the speakers. The master volumes are not return levels. They occur later, after the tone stack and right at the input to the PI. If you put something in the loop to attenuate it down, either a pot or a Volume pedal (same thing), then you have reduced the Send level which is the same as reducing it inside the amp. Now the stages after the loop won't overdrive exactly the same. The Return level has been set by the Send level and whatever is in the loop. You could boost it back up before returning to the amp but ime you have to attenuate/boost it 'perfectly' or the amp won't sound the same.

The stock loop send level is already heavily attenuated by a resistive pad (100K series and 2K2 shunt) so it's not overdriving V4. V4 is only a clean buffer providing high impedance for fx return and low impedance out to the tone stack.

DET1973":9whcvi5h said:
is it wrong I just want to know how to get a Purple Soldano Shirt in XL?
He has new shirts. I saw them when there last week. Not purple though. HA. Pretty much everything else in the shop has a purple tint...

LB
BCM

Beam Tetrode":22iailey said:
The stock loop send level is already heavily attenuated by a resistive pad (100K series and 2K2 shunt) so it's not overdriving V4. V4 is only a clean buffer providing high impedance for fx return and low impedance out to the tone stack.
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree. There is still plenty left to overdrive V4 (which has a gain stage followed by a cathode follower) and imo you can easily hear it if you bypass V4.

Been away for awhile and still on about the SLO loop :LOL: :LOL:

Only one of my SLOs has a loop, and I run a tc 2290 in that just fine. Sounds like God.

I get why some don't get on with the loop, but I like it for what I do. I guess as an option it will do well.

Just talked with Mike Soldano this week as I always do and he says he's almost finished with the details but to expect:

Post Master Volume effects level loop similar to Hot Rod 25.
SEND control only as he and Bill Sundt both agree that a RETURN control isn't necessary. SEND will pair volume just like you need.

More to come..

LB
BCM

lespaul6":1rx0p77w said:
So is Bill back with Soldano again?
No, Bill is working for another company but in the same industry. We talked Tuesday. Great guy, wish he was still with Mike.

LB
BCM

I'm bumping this 6 week old thread to see if there's any updates.

Also, to ask current SLO owners if they've ever tried a Radial EXTC-SA box in the loop? The specs of this box looks like it'll do exactly what's needed. Line level knocked down to instrument level, out to and back from the pedals, then amplified back up to line level and back to the amp. And it has a blend knob, turning the stock SLO series loop into a variable parallel loop. Egnater and Jaded Faith aren't willing to produce their little loop fix boxes; I've asked them numerous times to do another run. I'm thinking this Radial box might be what my SLO needs. Anybody here try one?

Beam Tetrode":2nq9hi15 said:
http://soldano.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1507095485

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Not surprised they are stream lining their product line, probably a wise move.

Back