Mesa Triple Crown - It's awesome/It sucks

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Which is it? Read a lot of conflicting reports a few months ago. Seems to really be hit or miss with people. There is one clip in particular that sounds fantastic, and there a LOT of shitty clips out there. Makes it really hard to get a feel for what this thing sounds like.

Here is a clip that sounds pretty gnarly:

This guy's Lo channel tone is terrible but his Hi Channel sounds damn nice:

And then this guy sounds terrible, yet seems to have a proper recording setup:

Owners, past and present, whats the deal? Can anyone share their experience?

i think that is the point of the thread. he doesn't want to trust clips. he wants opinions from people who have played them. sometimes local stores don't have the gear we want so its not as easy as just going to try something out.

I got one, and I got a JP-2C.
If you liked the ch 3 high gain tones, the ch 2 can be set up about the same with a bit less gain. Each ch has a Tight/ normal switch. I keep mine on tight cause it has more gain and is more what I like. The TC is a wicked amp. I also researched YT clips before I bought it. Most, as you can see, suck. That's not the amp's fault. That's tin-eared hacks who can't dial a tone in. I like Mean Gene's demo, although ch 2 is never going to substitute for a Marshall. The TC is it's own thing.

sleewell2":uk1qw8y4 said:
i think that is the point of the thread. he doesn't want to trust clips. he wants opinions from people who have played them. sometimes local stores don't have the gear we want so its not as easy as just going to try something out.

-good point, & that -(TRUTH)- is clearer everyday-

I just got one last night. Killer amp.

Clean channel is very nice. Sounds great with a delay in the loop.

Mid Gain channel has some serious grind, non-compressed and aggressive.

Hi Gain channel is more of the same, although is more scooped sounding and slightly compressed.

Reverb, effects loop, and channels are all footswitchable. Solo button on the footswitch as well for extra volume when...you guessed it, rip a solo.

Edit 1: I don't do midi, but I believe it has the same midi capabilities as the JP-2C.

Edit 2: I have 2 Mark IV's, a Mark III, a coupe Dual Rec's, and a JP-2C The TC-50 fits nicely in the mix of my collection.

I like it a lot.

I played one in a store. I currently own a Stiletto and a MK V. It didn't impress me. I didn't hate it either. It got saturated just fine and was tight but it didn't have a sound that inspired me at all. I went through the channels for a few minutes and turned it off and never gave it much thought after. My MK V (loaded with 34's) is much better at the higher gain tones it goes for and my Stiletto crushes it on Marshall style medium/low gain dirt and higher gain as well. It left me with a similar impression of the Marshall DSL (UK), compared to classic Marshalls. Serviceable, workmanlike tones but nothing that would have a holy shit pass your lips.

dooredge":78ucdc1k said:
I just got one last night. Killer amp.

Clean channel is very nice. Sounds great with a delay in the loop.

Mid Gain channel has some serious grind, non-compressed and aggressive.

Hi Gain channel is more of the same, although is more scooped sounding and slightly compressed.

Reverb, effects loop, and channels are all footswitchable. Solo button on the footswitch as well for extra volume when...you guessed it, rip a solo.

Edit 1: I don't do midi, but I believe it has the same midi capabilities as the JP-2C.

Edit 2: I have 2 Mark IV's, a Mark III, a coupe Dual Rec's, and a JP-2C The TC-50 fits nicely in the mix of my collection.

I like it a lot.

How does the lead channel on the TC stack up to the IV? Either of these will definitely be next for me

I'd have to a/b them and get back to you. My friend and I plan to do a demo video this weekend of the TC-50. We can stack it against the IV to provide some perspective.

dooredge":3hndvdri said:
I'd have to a/b them and get back to you. My friend and I plan to do a demo video this weekend of the TC-50. We can stack it against the IV to provide some perspective.

Hell yea. That's awesome

I had one and also a JP2C at the same time ....The TC was ok but nothing special for me. Was not a bad sounding or feeling amp to play but it just lacked character and balls IMO. The JP2C was better in every way but also more expensive .

MetalHeadMike":1csb4h1b said:
Thing that puts me off about the amp is that its only got 8 ohm speaker outs right?

4 & 8 Ohm. Should also be noted that Mesa amps are built to withstand/handle impedance mismatches (that's been a topic of discussion here previously). So I don't believe you'd have any issues running a 16 Ohm cabinet if that was a concern.

MetalHeadMike":1vfq17xf said:
Thing that puts me off about the amp is that its only got 8 ohm speaker outs right?

A LOT of their amps have 4 and 8 only. It's a little annoying but a 16 ohm mismatch is not an issue. How that mismatch affects the sound is probably barely noticeable if you're really looking for it, but I never noticed any negative results.

The TC doesn't "suck" perse... but I prefer my JP2C and Triple Recto over it. But I see the appeal.

MetalHeadMike":2mtezibj said:

It will work fine with a 16 Ohm cab. I prefer 16 Ohm cabs as well.

The TC-50 is great. The best demo of it that I've seen (IMO) is the one by Ryan Bruce (Fluff). I think it sounds great and has its own unique character. All 3 channels are excellent and, unlike many amps, easy to dial in and very controllable. The taper on all the volume knobs is GREAT. It's super versatile and I think it can cover any genre you want to throw at it. I love that you can swap tubes on it and I've found I really like it with both EL34s and 6L6s (I like the 6L6s a little more right now). It also has a pretty nice feature set. As for MIDI...

crankyrayhanky":2mg3veiv said:
What does the midi control on this head? Can it flip the channel modes, or just channels, solo and fx loop?

You can use MIDI to change channels, turn on/off reverb, FX loop, and solo boost. You can not use it to change channel modes.

Back