WOW! Driftwood Purple Nightmare Is FAR MORE VERSATILE...

SavageRiffer

Banned
Got my Driftwood yesterday and I've got to say that it's waaaaay more versatile than I initially thought. The clean channel is outstanding. Really jangly, lively cleans. The drive channel in low gain is amazing. In high gain mode, the drive channel is just shy of the level of gain you need for saturated metal without very hot pickups. The internal tubescreamer is necessary to get just enough boost for brootz, but it has enough range to oversaturate distortion IF you want that.

The built in tube screamer has a real nice tone too. I thought it would sound kind of generic or something, but man it has a real nice warm color to it. It's not a sterile boost. Mine is the full-size head with 2 x KT88 and 2 x 6L6. You can really hear the qualities of both tube types come together. The KT88's give the sound a more space, a bit more refinement and extra dimension. So far it seems like a quad of 6L6's would be better for saturated metal, but I haven't cranked the amp up yet to tell you how the tubes react loudly. I'd imagine it wouldn't be a departure from what I've described. Personally, I like the openness and clarity of the KT88's in this amp.

Here's the thing. Two of the greatest aspects of the Purple Nightmare are it's feel and quality. It has the most amazing response to your pick attack and your fingers. Few amps feel this great to play. When I say quality, I'm not talking about the build because that's obviously elite level. What I'm talking about is what you hear in an amp and feel under your fingers that you know the amp is putting out immaculate quality. It's dimensional and responsive. There are obvious differences when you compare other amps. It's hard to articulate, but only the best amps ooze this kind of quality. It really does. The harmonics are colorful. It sustains beautifully. It's just really, really, really good quality in every sense.

My Strymon effects sound great through the input, but the FX loop is extremely good. I'm not a big FX guy and don't even know how some guys discern how good FX loops are among amps of this caliber. However, I can tell how well the effects blend into the tone and that it does well at low volumes too.

It has a night mode which basically makes it a preamp with some kind of solid state power amp or something that gives it a pretty loud 2 watts. It shuts down the power section and allows the preamp to function independently. The question is, how good does night mode sound? Well, it sounds damned amazing. It still responds very much the same and sounds identical, but it's kind of the difference in feel like a similar difference between switching from tube to solid states rectifier. You don't hear the power tube saturation, but the preamp is so good that it doesn't sound solid state or something.

I've only played it for a few hours so there is a lot left to explore, but this amp didn't let me down one bit. It was a peasant surprise to find that it really delivers the goods. Cliff at DAG says it's more of a rock/classic rock type amp, and I could agree with that for the most part even though it plays metal like any metal amp could do, but it's gain structure and all that very much resembles a really good rock amp. Van Halen, clean jazz, grunge, thrash, are all on the menu. The built in tube screamer is what kind of makes the difference if you want to get brootz, but there are sooo many tones using the amp in low gain mode. I used several of my overdrives with it and really loved what I heard.

I have only a couple of small criticisms. First, the manual sucks. It left me with a lot of questions which I had to email them to get answered. The other thing is that it's not a small or lightweight head. It's not as bad as a Peavey 6505 or H&K Triamp, but it definitely a full size head. That's pretty much all I can gripe about.

Glad you're digging it! I absolutely love my mini-nightmare. Yeah the manual SUCKS! So many options though, switching, loop, the built in OD is great. Crank up the level and adjust tone to taste the add a slight amount of gain.

Crank up the bass and put a Fortin Grind in front... watch out.

lowmantotempole":2ffalvmh said:
Glad you're digging it! I absolutely love my mini-nightmare. Yeah the manual SUCKS! So many options though, switching, loop, the built in OD is great. Crank up the level and adjust tone to taste the add a slight amount of gain.

Crank up the bass and put a Fortin Grind in front... watch out.

The low end is pretty massive, but I've read the Grind cuts low end as it boosts. I want to try that pedal out.

cujo":3lm9zj7o said:
How are these compared to Diezel ? Just getting wind of them must be new amps ?

Oh man, having the Driftwood next to my Paul is just amazing. They compliment each other so well. Both very different amps, but such high quality in tone and build that it's impossible to upgrade from here. On one side, my Diezel Paul has a LOT of low end, but it also has a very robust upper-midrange that just lets it cut through anything. On the other side, I have the Driftwood which seems a bit darker at first until you record with it. I find that I have to dial back the presence and treble on the Driftwood more than the Paul, and the Paul is kind of a bright amp.

It's just that the Purple Nightmare has an exquisitely rounded high end that at first makes you think you need to turn up the presence, but after a while, especially after recording a few tracks, you realize that it has more sizzle than you think. The Driftwood has 6L6 and KT88's which lend it a hefty low end, but the Diezel Paul with 2 KT77's seems like it has a bigger low end, but the reality is that the Driftwood sounds huge even though the bass is not overpowering.

It FEELS so great to play. It's the perfect amp for people who care about how amps respond to their picking and fingering. It's so punchy and has incredible definition. It's warm, but not dark. It doesn't seem like it has a ton of gain, but after a few sessions with it, maximum gain on channel 2 without the tube screamer is almost enough for any style of music. You don't need a lot of gain to get a liquid feel for soloing.

The cleans on the Paul are immaculate. Everything about the Paul's cleans are perfect, but there is a tinge of hi-fi'ness to it. The Driftwood cleans are pure, jangly, beautiful cleans. It's a much more traditional clean channel than the Paul. As stunning as the Paul's cleans are, I'd have to give a slight edge to the driftwood. The clean channel is a whole other dimension of this amp that probably goes underappreciated. People who like Fender cleans would probably like the Driftwood better than the Paul.

It's just such a great amp. I can't say enough great things about it. Night mode is a very interesting thing and it has it's own great sound. It's very natural sounding even though it's not using power tubes, just the preamp tubes. It's so much fun to play cranked up... and believe me, that 2w can get plenty loud. If you ever get one, crank up the night mode one day and noodle for a while. You'll see what I mean.

Driftwood may be a new company with only 1 amp (in 2 styles), but they are definitely among the highest quality and most prestigious brands there are. I don't have any affiliation with them whatsoever, but I'll say that everyone should take notice and try to get their hands on one of these amps.

Back