Who Learned Using The CAGED System And Is It Good or Bad?

SavageRiffer

Banned
I had a guitar teacher who told me to stay away from the CAGED system. Lately, I've noticed some pretty creative composers on Youtube who first learned that. An online search for it shows a lot of results saying it's bad. It's hard to believe that any system that organizes and simplifies something, and has been used by countless talented guitarists could be bad. How could it possibly limit you when all you'd have to do is learn the modes? Someone please explain.

I like it for a general system, but it has holes in it when confronted with advanced improve playing. IMHO

depends on what you want to do with your playing.

It seems like all guitar music is based in either blues, or classical. And when we get bored of those two
styles, we fool around with jazz.
Everyone has to start somewhere. We typically start by learning chords, scales, and the notes on the fretboard.
We learn parts of songs by artists we enjoy listening to. And it all goes from there.
Learning new ways of doing things expands our bag of tricks, as long as you don't get locked into a "system".
Learn the fundamentals, and then explore on your own from there. Keep it fun, and stick to your roots!

If it works for you, it's good
Remaining open minded is really the best thing to do when learning

It's particularly good for learning that "Hendrix-y" rhythm/lead stuff. I didn't start out by learning the CAGED system, but went back and looked into it later on-it's never a bad idea to try looking at things from a different angle.

I was never taught that way and haven't had formal lessons that use that method. With that said, I have a Jimmy Bruno instructional and a Danielle Gottardo's dvd and they both use it to some extent. I would say that both of those guys are world class and they see the fretboard differently than I do. I see patterns or all the dots on the fretboard in that key, because that is what I was taught. I don't think, C chord, if I'm in the G shape, then I have an Emin (C shape) at my second finger and I can substitute that, or play an E aeolian off of that. It seems that people that learn that way, in my limited view, see the fretboard as chords like a piano player, rather than patterns.

I've been teaching guitar on and off professionally for 38 years. I've never heard of anyone suggesting avoiding CAGED. It is a extremely useful method for learning the fretboard. Anyone that has been playing a year should be familiar with CAGED if they have taken lessons or not.

Knowledge is key to everything. Every rule or system is good to learn just as long as you're not stuck in it and know when to break them. There is no right or wrong, its if it works for what you're going for. I always hated it guitarist over complicate fairly simple things in order to make it look like they know their shit. The key to learning things is learn them in the method that works for you, not others who may know it but can't teach it.

Ive been doing a lot of theory these last 2 years.

For me, Caged is one of the approaches, thats it. I only use the cage system when:
- im using the standard chords without any extension meaning just the R, 3th and 5th
- im playing with the 4 note caged arpeggio system and its inversions

The caged system gives you 5 options per chord type. I learned also 24 options per chord type in drop 2 and drop 3 (all inversions) memorizing whicht note has what function (meaning is it the 1,3,5 or 7). It took me some time but man it was worth it. Now i have no barriers at all.

If you dont know your chord theory and want to start, the caged system is a option but i would never stop there.

I would advise to start and just go with the flow.

I made the mistake of not planning ahead. Im now busy relaerning everything, example:
I used to learn the box positions of scales. Now im relearning what function every dot has, for me where i am at in music its of most importance. Also all scales and modes by interval.

Years back i would have never done this, lets say i was ready for it 2 years ago and im enjoying it.

i hope you can to :rock:

I think any method or practise that gets more finger time on the fretboard is the main thing to achieve. Whether it's scale practise, chord practise, all these theory practises - whatever. Just get to know the notes on the fingerboard and what they sound like and when you've figured that out, you'll know what to play and how to inflect on the improv when needed. Furthermore, some theory sticks to rigid guidelines as they pertain to the math of the notes "adding up" for lack of a better term (otherwise known as a proper resolve); I'm less about things being precise than I am imparting a certain emotion to the playing - and whenever improv'ing, some times I want a different emotion to come across - even if it's the same song structure. So - off with the flats and sharps and diminished to get these "personalities" off the fingerboard and into the playing.

Hope that makes sense. I guess in short, just try to have a guitar in your hand as much as possible - and preferably not to just clean it :LOL: :LOL:

-(TRUTH'S!!!)-(+)-

-Any SYSTEM, METHOD or THEORY will work as a reference point, a -Chord Finder- will work just as good, if not better!!. it will show you all 3 interval's & show you your -THEORETICALLY-CORRECT- best bridge options,..... The real problem is the predictable progression's when the focus is about -(TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY)- ...and not creating music!!....
-When's the last time you heard a new song,... and the guitarist just blows you away!, your blindsided!!, got chills running down your spine!!!,... You were pretty sure you knew the direction he was taking it,...... But No!!!... -HE PULL'S A-(BLUE NOTE)-(A RUN)-(A PHRASE)-(A SOMETHING!!!)- -OUT OF HIS ASS-!!!!!!!

Back