Any reason not to get a kemper?

the rossness

I've been an MTS user for years. I settled on three preamps that I don't think I'll ever sell- a CCV clone, Orange Clone, and Mark IV clone. I'd like more but tones but I've played almost every modded mts module and the tech only gets me so far. Mostly, I just play my 5153. But I still want to tone hunt sometimes. I want clean tones. I want fryette, hiwatt, matchless, cornford, ect. I also don't want to blast my eardrums out of my head to get the tones. The kemper looks like the best bet. I've read everything I can about it. I think its the best modeler out there. I don't need built in FX- I have those I'm about to get a kemper. Is there any reason not to? Any downsides?

I like the afx more because the effects are way better and there are more options but if you're not really into fx then grab the Kemper. The Kemper is a lot more plug and play too IMO.

There are no good reasons to avoid Kemper. Hell, you have access to all your mods through my profiles.... ;)

It is a game changer and a near perfect product already...I fool everyone who comes into my studio to play it against a "real" amp

Stealthtastic":2fv1ihai said:
I like the afx more because the effects are way better and there are more options but if you're not really into fx then grab the Kemper. The Kemper is a lot more plug and play too IMO.
and that's the thing. I'd very much like a plug and play, type of amp. I tweak here and there. I had an old Boss GT10 and it had menu after menu after submenu and it just confused me. I tweak as much as the next guy, but I'd rather have something that's ready to go, right out of the box.

As for the Axe... I've heard some good and some bad sounds. I don't need all the FX. I have a p[eadleboard and its always fun to get a new stompbox and see how it works in my rig. (That's the fun of peadals, right?) And with the Kemper, if I want to spend $5 or $10 to get a new amp, I can. And it is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY cheaper for new amp than my Randall is.

When setup properly and dialed in (which is easy), the Kemper sounds and reacts just like a tube amp....Believe me, when I got it, I didn't want this to be the case...It just simply is...

Funny, I was about to post something similar.

Anyone have thoughts on powered vs. unpowered, and rack vs.toaster?

Powered Toaster is where it's all at....Full LEDs on the EQ (Rack doesn't have LEDs), and power to run a cab....A 2x12 is all you need and you'll cut through something fierce....

Mattfig":10pz7hzc said:
Powered Toaster is where it's all at....Full LEDs on the EQ (Rack doesn't have LEDs), and power to run a cab....A 2x12 is all you need and you'll cut through something fierce....

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

The mooer preamp pedals are like 98 percent as good as the kemper are plug and play and can be had for $75.

Id say they are a reason as a devils' advocate.

Kemper or axefx2 are dine at this point, kemper is more plug and play.

jcj":qtnh3alg said:
Mattfig":qtnh3alg said:

Thanks for the tip Matt. I just ordered the powered kemper toaster. Fingers crossed ;/

jcj":pqgm4k4r said:
Mattfig":pqgm4k4r said:

No problem...FWIW, there's a ton of talk about using Kemper with FRFR cabs.....I prefer a traditional can and DI Profiles....I also use a Mission Gemini 2x12 FRFR mixed in with IRs in place...

I've had the Kemper a couple times. It's a great unit. I actually sold the AxeFx and went straight KPA for a bit. Then got an AX8...and an AmpliFire...and a Firehawk FX...and a Helix...and a Pod...and an Eleven Rack... ;)

Kemper is not so similar to real amps.
especially, when Kemper through real cabinets, it is not.
and the feel under the fingers are different.

idnotbe":2pklu018 said:
Kemper is not so similar to real amps.
especially, when Kemper through real cabinets, it is not.
and the feel under the fingers are different.

I respect your opinion. I don't hear or feel a difference at all....

I can say I feel a difference, I had been playing the same amp for over a decade pretty much faithfully. It does not react the same at all and I had a dude set it up that knows them in and out for me. BUT HAVING SAID THAT... I love it. Extremely convenient and sounds 98% there. I personally think the built in effects are EXCELLENT... and way more than I thought I'd get. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Back